User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 21 Feb 2008, 18:43   #1
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society
I know nobody cares

but i think my life is pretty good at the moment.

I do have Championship Manager '08 on my mobile phone though. I have almost finished my 4th season and am putting the finishing touches to assembling the finest squad in the game (best players in all positions etc). There was still a little work to do but that was all part of the enjoyment.

Now some ****ING BUG in the code has meant that my game has saved me as Arsenal (instead of Sunderland) and it's the beginning of the 2007/2008 season (the table shows the 2011-2012 table with the positions as just before the game ****ed up).

I mean the game is just a time wasting exercise but it's the only time i really waste and i wanted to at least have the satisfaction of having a great team to show at the end of it all.

Now i feel like i feel when i write a really long post and it gets deleted without loading. Like that only worse.

I really want to cry.
You Are Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2008, 18:46   #2
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: I know nobody cares

Get tetris.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2008, 19:51   #3
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

that's pretty sucky, i nearly cried when i screwed up my save game in fm 08 by accidentally leaving auto-save on when i was "experimenting" by going on holiday for an entire season
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2008, 19:56   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Are Gay
but i think my life is pretty good at the moment.

I do have Championship Manager '08 on my mobile phone though. I have almost finished my 4th season and am putting the finishing touches to assembling the finest squad in the game (best players in all positions etc). There was still a little work to do but that was all part of the enjoyment.

Now some ****ING BUG in the code has meant that my game has saved me as Arsenal (instead of Sunderland) and it's the beginning of the 2007/2008 season (the table shows the 2011-2012 table with the positions as just before the game ****ed up).

I mean the game is just a time wasting exercise but it's the only time i really waste and i wanted to at least have the satisfaction of having a great team to show at the end of it all.

Now i feel like i feel when i write a really long post and it gets deleted without loading. Like that only worse.

I really want to cry.
send a bug report into those who coded it:
http://www.dynamogames.com/contact.htm
Include as much information as you can to help them track down the problem etc. if youre lucky they might give you a patch application to fix your game progress back to the way it should be

To think, had I got the job with them, I woulda been one of those who had to fix it
Unread 21 Feb 2008, 19:57   #5
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Well, if we're not gonig to talk about Tetris then I might give my FM horror story.

I was playing FM on my laptop all afternoon, a good 8 hours. At this point I had been playing for awhile so was quite deep into the game.

Normally, whilst playing the game I find myself doing unbelieveably bad, yet this time I seemed to be winning things, or at leaston the cusp of winning things. I played all day and into the evening, until it was time for bed. So I clicked 'save', picked up my laptop and proceeded to the stairs.

As I was walking I heard a thump. I looked down, what did I see? My laptop battery. When I had picked up thr laptop I had accidently pulled the battery release button and my game was destroyed mid-save.

I can't remember if it was too much to replay the whole day or that the game was corrupted by the incident, either way it was too much for me to go on.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 21 Feb 2008, 20:06   #6
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Normally, whilst playing the game I find myself doing unbelieveably bad, yet this time I seemed to be winning things, or at leaston the cusp of winning things.
i can't really understand this, i've come across such statements from people throughout all the versions of CM/FM since cm 3. generally speaking FM is a pretty simple game, to succeed at. essentially, it's incredibly easy to get teams to overachieve considerably, a harder challenge might be to go undefeated or something. i've only "not" won the league once, in my first season and over the past few years i've played as HSV, Boro, Newcastle, Villareal, Zaragoza (and Barca/spurs but that's a given) and of course Spurs. the only time i didn't win was a multiplayer game with a housemate as inter, which i lost by having a horrid spell of last 3-4 games when i was 10 pts clear (mate was milan, juve won)

infact, i'm currently first as sunderland 20 games in or so as in the very first season, and i've only gotten a couple of free signings in. mind you, i've really got no good explanation for this, i leak goals easier than dicks find themselves in deffehs mummy however i can't stop scoring either. essentially, the point i'm making is FM is divided into rules and all you have to do is play to them to get your team to overachieve astoundingly.

ps haha owned, that was pretty bad indeed. my zaragoza one was worse though, god that team was coming together so beauifully
Unread 21 Feb 2008, 20:17   #7
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

FM's got increasingly harder if you consider the time & effort:achievement ratio. Tactically you need to be much much stronger than you did in the old versions where there was almost always a major tactical weakness in the AI that could be readily exploited.

The bug/'feature' in the current version meaning that high tempo attacking play (i.e. waves upon waves of constant attacks) doesn't lead to many goals is an obvious problem. It has always been my style of play; I adapted, many players will choose not to.
Unread 21 Feb 2008, 20:23   #8
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Which phone have you got that plays champ man???

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2008, 20:30   #9
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
i can't really understand this, i've come across such statements from people throughout all the versions of CM/FM since cm 3. generally speaking FM is a pretty simple game, to succeed at. essentially, it's incredibly easy to get teams to overachieve considerably, a harder challenge might be to go undefeated or something. i've only "not" won the league once, in my first season and over the past few years i've played as HSV, Boro, Newcastle, Villareal, Zaragoza (and Barca/spurs but that's a given) and of course Spurs. the only time i didn't win was a multiplayer game with a housemate as inter, which i lost by having a horrid spell of last 3-4 games when i was 10 pts clear (mate was milan, juve won)

infact, i'm currently first as sunderland 20 games in or so as in the very first season, and i've only gotten a couple of free signings in. mind you, i've really got no good explanation for this, i leak goals easier than dicks find themselves in deffehs mummy however i can't stop scoring either. essentially, the point i'm making is FM is divided into rules and all you have to do is play to them to get your team to overachieve astoundingly.

ps haha owned, that was pretty bad indeed. my zaragoza one was worse though, god that team was coming together so beauifully
Never managed to work it out. Only one game was I ever proud of and that was my gonig Celtic. I played for many years and could never figure out what I was doing wrong.
Unread 21 Feb 2008, 21:43   #10
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

FM08, even with patch 8.01, was buggy as hell. I've just started with 8.02, but I quite pessimistic. The reason for that is that FM07 never really got me going, even with the patches. To me it looks like SI have lost it.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2008, 04:02   #11
jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
FM's got increasingly harder if you consider the time & effort:achievement ratio. Tactically you need to be much much stronger than you did in the old versions where there was almost always a major tactical weakness in the AI that could be readily exploited.

The bug/'feature' in the current version meaning that high tempo attacking play (i.e. waves upon waves of constant attacks) doesn't lead to many goals is an obvious problem. It has always been my style of play; I adapted, many players will choose not to.
this isn't true at all, i've been playing high tempo with both barca and sunderland, and have been scoring 3.2 a game with barca, 2.8 with sunderland. one single thing isn't made negligible at all, it's more that you have to get a lot of things right altogether for it to work out (eg player instructions eg who's making the runs, who does and does not have freedom / passing style, focus / defensive settings eg where you pick up the ball and bla bla)
Unread 22 Feb 2008, 12:43   #12
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

hey jer tell me how to be good at fm i'm rubbish
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2008, 12:53   #13
jerome

one important thing is to set your creative freedom to lower settings as CF basically completely ruins your teams positioning (give one or two offensivep players, a bit more though; your playmaker and target man or deep striker perhaps)

also consider having one "one-track-mind" striker (perhaps two if your formation would allow it, where mentality=full attacking and everything else = minimal (aka extreme to the left) apart from forward runs, run with ball, try through balls which basically means a/ no closing down whatsoever b/ no creative freedom whatsoever this should lead to a setting where your striker's one and only job is to score. the simple assumption / requirement behind this is that the rest of your team should be doing the creative work required well enough to supply your striker with the chances so he doesn't need to focus on anything else apart from finding spaces (closing down = more time for defensive duties/less time for finding space on a quick counter etc) and charging straight forward, in a high tempo set up of course (with run with ball and if that's impossible, try a through ball etc)

i usually play such a striker with a 'deep lying' target man, a la no forward runs so it complies with 'always' forward runs of this one-track-minded striker for lay-offs etc. obviously you'd need competent people for both positions. otm striker requires dribbling/off the ball/acceleration as well as the generic striker stats. target men with some flair/creativity. incidentally, if you were to have 2 strikers being one dimensional as described, i've had it work where my AMC was the target man (remember, you can focus your passing to your target man to feet etc so you're not limited to having some big **** off type for the role) and he (matias fernandez) revelled in the role providing an immense amount of assists to the 2 strikers.

also DM's are exceptionally useful people try and avoid formations without it, unless you're using MC's where they avoid running forward as well.
Unread 22 Feb 2008, 13:05   #14
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
this isn't true at all, i've been playing high tempo with both barca and sunderland, and have been scoring 3.2 a game with barca, 2.8 with sunderland. one single thing isn't made negligible at all, it's more that you have to get a lot of things right altogether for it to work out (eg player instructions eg who's making the runs, who does and does not have freedom / passing style, focus / defensive settings eg where you pick up the ball and bla bla)
So you agree that's its become harder, or at least takes more effort?
Unread 22 Feb 2008, 13:19   #15
jerome

sorry, i was disagreeing with the "The bug/'feature' in the current version meaning that high tempo attacking play (i.e. waves upon waves of constant attacks) doesn't lead to many goals is an obvious problem. It has always been my style of play; I adapted, many players will choose not to" part, but yes it indeed is harder / takes more effort.
Unread 22 Feb 2008, 15:00   #16
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

I actually find the recent games take less effort, though aren't actually as fun.

Corner/free kick/penalty takers is the same as always.

I used to actually do training but now it got so complicated I just give it to my assistant manager.

I used to build my own formations when you were able to position players exactly where you wanted to be depending on where the ball was (I think this disappeared with 03/04 or so) which would take ages to build a few which actually worked.. Now I just use a bog standard 4-4-2 with a few modifications invloving creativity and how attacking I want a few individuals to be.
Unread 22 Feb 2008, 15:07   #17
All Systems Go

I really want to play FM now :crymeariver:
Unread 22 Feb 2008, 17:17   #18
jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
I actually find the recent games take less effort, though aren't actually as fun.

Corner/free kick/penalty takers is the same as always.

I used to actually do training but now it got so complicated I just give it to my assistant manager.

I used to build my own formations when you were able to position players exactly where you wanted to be depending on where the ball was (I think this disappeared with 03/04 or so) which would take ages to build a few which actually worked.. Now I just use a bog standard 4-4-2 with a few modifications invloving creativity and how attacking I want a few individuals to be.
yeah, the power to set your players exactly where to be in every situation was just too hard to balance, i was thinking about those old settings too recently. training is so boring it bores the hell out of me, i didn't know you could set it to your asst manager though? i just download a generic schedule from the net and set my players to them, it's just too tedious to micromanage to that extent
Unread 22 Feb 2008, 22:48   #19
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

So what tactic do you use, jer?
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2008, 00:22   #20
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Are Gay
I mean the game is just a time wasting exercise but IT'S THE ONLY TIME I REALLY WASTE .....
Posted on GD! Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Good one.
Unread 23 Feb 2008, 02:27   #21
jerome

first season depends on what team i'm with, however i tend to eventually grow into a 4-3-3 with all the 3 midfielders as MC's except they're all rarely on forward runs, but the middle one is creative / "AM" etc, the 2 wingers cut in into "FLC"/"FRC" with 1 centre forward who switches between otm/targetman.

that being said, recently i've been experimenting with 4-4-2 diamond, but with extravagant use of arrows, it's worked well so far but i'm not too convinced of it's defensive prowess.
Unread 25 Feb 2008, 11:15   #22
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda

Good one.

I only do that from work so it's not really like it's my own time i'm wasting ...
Unread 26 Feb 2008, 01:08   #23
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

I'm still playing CM 00/01. Just won the 2022 Champions League with Nuneaton Borough.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2008, 03:08   #24
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

My Watford game crashed early in its third season whilst I was on 4th in PL and had great players coming in once the transfer window opened again

Havent played since, but then again its a cracked version :P Ill buy the original one I guess and see if I can bring it back to life with some patches

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2008, 17:29   #25
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda

Good one.
You Are Gay views GD, and rightly so I must say, as spiritual enlightenment. Its desultory discourse helps You Are Gay veer away from the pernicious materialism that plagues his life and brings him closer to the innate beauty that nature's opulence only too willingly discloses to those who choose to seek the truth, the light, the beauty that lies within us all. Deepflow's probably dealing to him, too.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2008, 18:55   #26
You Are Gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
You Are Gay views GD, and rightly so I must say, as spiritual enlightenment. Its desultory discourse helps You Are Gay veer away from the pernicious materialism that plagues his life and brings him closer to the innate beauty that nature's opulence only too willingly discloses to those who choose to seek the truth, the light, the beauty that lies within us all. Deepflow's probably dealing to him, too.

Yeah ... thats ... exactly it.