User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 6 Jul 2006, 21:34   #1
-TPM-

-TPM- is on a distinguished road
VB.Net

Anyone else a VB.Net programmer?
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 21:56   #2
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: VB.Net

Somewhat... It's what I imagine I'll be doing once I get out of school.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 22:08   #3
-TPM-

Cool, any perticular area of interest?
I'm hopeing to start my own company writing custom software, websites etc.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 23:29   #4
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

I prefer non-web based stuff to be honest... I'm actually kind of interested in creating PoS systems or internal records administration. but... I'll take what I can get tbh jobs being what they are for folks with not-so-much experience :/
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 00:04   #5
-TPM-

lol yeah I know what you mean ASPX is a whole different bag of tricks, I'm working on sales site right now actually. Hopefully it should give me/my company a good start. PoS and record admin huh, I've not touched on PoS yet. I've done my fair share of record admin though.

Are you running VS 2005 or 2003?
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 00:40   #6
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

when speaking about VB, the initials 'pos' have a rather different meaning for me....
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 00:56   #7
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

haha phil

I really don't mind VB.net. It's fairly easy to use, it makes sense, it looks good, and it's for the most part fairly useful. I liked the courses anyways

I was using 2003 last semester, but I imagine 2005 is now at school, and that will be the one I'm going to be putting on meh brand spankin new computer
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 02:23   #8
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future

I write in C# for a living. It's pretty much the same as writing in VB.Net bar the syntax (well and and a few features I guess, late binding in VB, unmanaged code in c# etc).

I don't agree with your point that ASPX is "a whole different bag of tricks". Apart from the obvious difference of managing windows, you write them in very similar ways. ASPX pages became event driven to match the Windows/Message paradigm, you still embed controls in pretty much the same way, and obviously all the back end logic will be completely identical for both presentation methods. If you are familiar at writing for one, you should be able to learn to write for the other (at a reasonable level) pretty fast. This is of course, if you are writing your pages "properly" and not the old style ASP/PHP ideology of putting code directly into the pages themselves.
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 03:03   #9
-TPM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly
haha phil

I really don't mind VB.net. It's fairly easy to use, it makes sense, it looks good, and it's for the most part fairly useful. I liked the courses anyways

I was using 2003 last semester, but I imagine 2005 is now at school, and that will be the one I'm going to be putting on meh brand spankin new computer
Cool, you'll like 2005. I sure do
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 03:17   #10
-TPM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging.Retard
I write in C# for a living. It's pretty much the same as writing in VB.Net bar the syntax (well and and a few features I guess, late binding in VB, unmanaged code in c# etc).

I don't agree with your point that ASPX is "a whole different bag of tricks". Apart from the obvious difference of managing windows, you write them in very similar ways. ASPX pages became event driven to match the Windows/Message paradigm, you still embed controls in pretty much the same way, and obviously all the back end logic will be completely identical for both presentation methods. If you are familiar at writing for one, you should be able to learn to write for the other (at a reasonable level) pretty fast. This is of course, if you are writing your pages "properly" and not the old style ASP/PHP ideology of putting code directly into the pages themselves.
Indeed, I find VB's syntax a lot easier to learn. Have you tried the new C++ in 2005? When I get time I want to learn that.

Yeah sure code wise it's very similar and that part is easy to switch between. It's the things like postbacks, asax's, global var's, layout etc. that really mess with your head. A good example is how if you add a control at runtime to handle any event's for it you have to add it again in the postback.
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 19:56   #11
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging.Retard

It's not so much ASP in general... The syntax is fine {it's freakin similar } but it's just the whole credit card transactions actually as much as anything. Keeping things 'hack proof, safe, etc'. I'm always paranoid about that sorta thing, and I'd really hate it to have fingers pointed at me for a multi million dollar lawsuit due to some stupid little thing I forgot to put in.

Point of Sale systems or internal programs are more fun to do imo... and there's lesser risk of me being sued
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 20:30   #12
-TPM-

Well any communication and data needs to be secured, even internal. But I get what you mean. I'd rather rely on MD5 and TrippleDES than SSL
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 20:42   #13
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I kinda do although id hardly consider myself at all experienced in the subject. I learn what i need to know for whatever project im working on. Produce whats needed then promptly forget 99% of it.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote