User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 11 Jul 2006, 07:32   #1
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
So i'm upgrading to WinXP Pro...

"About bloody time" you might be thinking. I was rather partial to Win98se on my desktop and my Laptop came with XP preinstalled, so i have little to no experience with what i'm about to ask.

I'm wondering the advantages and disadvantages of the FAT/FAT32/NTFS file systems, could someone care to explain them to me in terms i can comprehend?

I understand i can have my Operating System on an NTFS partition while leaving the rest as FAT32. This would save me backing up a great portion of my primary HDD and my entire secondary HDD, but is it worth it or would i be better off formatting the whole thing to NTFS (if that's the better option of the file systems)?

Thanks in advance. :)
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 08:11   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: So i'm upgrading to WinXP Pro...

stay away from FAT(16), FAT32 should be used only if you have an absolute need for backwards compatability or something. NTFS is your best bet.

Yes, you can partition the drive so that the operating system is on NTFS while having a seperate partition as storage, in FAT32 format, just NTFS is more efficient then FAT32 is at storing data, with the added bonus features such as encryption on a drive level. I'll just appear as a seperate disk drive to you in windows.
There are limits to the partition size with each different scheme. I cant recall off the top of my head what they are, but i think FAT16 is around 8 gig per partition max. You would have to investigate the others via google or something
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 10:08   #3
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I remember the jump from Fat16 to Fat32. I have absolutely no idea what it would mean and everytime windows said 'omg install fat32 fool' it would scare me.

Having to have multiple partions just to use 20 gig was funny tho.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 10:41   #4
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

That's great, ta very much - NTFS it is.
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 11:38   #5
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

you shouldnt worry. just make sure all the data you need is backed up somewhere and even if everything catches fire you should be ok.

(unless you burn to death)
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 12:45   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The major advantage of NTFS is stability. If your PC craps out in the middle the harddrive being used (powercut, crash, whatever) it's an order of magnitude safer than FAT. With FAT in that scenario you might lose half the harddrive, with NTFS you may lose the file that was being written to at the time if you're unlucky.

There's also more technical stuff such as much larger partition and filesize limits etc, but the major plus is the stability, which comes from it being originally developed for the server versions of windows.
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 20:31   #7
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

No fires yet *touches wood*.

Am part way through backing everything up as i type, thanks for the info everyone.