User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 25 Mar 2011, 19:33   #1
Clogg
SiNíng is a lifestyle

Clogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to all
Expand the playerbase GO App

I got stuck in a traffic jam today and I started thinking, now some might start to worry, cause Cloggy thinking usually leads to mass crashes.

a few weeks ago I installed the app imobster on my iPhone and now I see you thinking what has imobster to do with Planetarion.

Well in essence Planerarion is a very boring game, you build ships and have to wait hours to get them, you attack, takes hours to get results, well you get my drift I hope.

Since Planetarion is still lacking a good App so that you can easily play it on your smartphone, I thought why not combine it.

Get a good app with which you can play good old Planetarion, researching, building, launching etc. And in order to make playing Planetarion less dull add a solar system to the app. This way you can go questing on other planets in your solar system while waiting for other activities which happen on the tick. The rest of the universe is not affected by your activities in your solar system, perhaps some small XP rewards.

I think the app and making the game less boring will attract new players and will allow existing players easier access on the go.

So what do you think about this?
Unread 25 Mar 2011, 19:51   #2
DoDDy
Twisted Individual

DoDDy can only hope to improve
Re: Expand the playerbase GO App

I like the idea of an app for pa but I wonder who will bother making it, perhaps a dedicated player with the know-how may do it, but I doubt it would be free :|
#17 | 4:2:7 |Schumacher Levy 9 of Collision on Jupiter
DoDDy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2011, 19:57   #3
Clogg
SiNíng is a lifestyle

Clogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to all

99 cents and free credit, we need to get people hooked.

Is Jolt still running the show? Could be money in it for them.
Unread 26 Mar 2011, 02:32   #4
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Your iphone has a browser, thats all you need.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2011, 03:23   #5
Abort
Dumb Yankee

Abort has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogg View Post
Is Jolt still running the show? Could be money in it for them.
Ohhhh Jolt...
Unread 26 Mar 2011, 19:10   #6
Clogg
SiNíng is a lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
Your iphone has a browser, thats all you need.

You're not getting the point. There is a big difference between browserbase and app based. App based is better optimised for the smaller screen and you can get so much more.

IMHO the mindset you're displaying here is exactly the reason why PA has gone downriver since the first few rounds, the if it ain't broke don't fix it mindset. But you need innovation to get players and to keep players. I am suggesting something that could be innovative for Planetarion.
Unread 26 Mar 2011, 21:16   #7
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

Most of your suggestion is about building a new game which is getting way ahead of yourself. Cutting back to your basic point, yes phone apps would help streamline playing (launch app, click new research, close app, go back to living a life), but the lack of development going into the game (not to mention the fact this has been suggested countless times over the years) means it's never going to happen.
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2011, 19:33   #8
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogg View Post
You're not getting the point. There is a big difference between browserbase and app based. App based is better optimised for the smaller screen and you can get so much more.

IMHO the mindset you're displaying here is exactly the reason why PA has gone downriver since the first few rounds, the if it ain't broke don't fix it mindset. But you need innovation to get players and to keep players. I am suggesting something that could be innovative for Planetarion.
Spend money and time creating something when it will have no real effect on getting more players, no gameplay changes and its only for iphone customers who can play PA from there iphone already.

or

Spend money and time creating and updating the game, adding in new features and proper graphics which will greatly increase the amount of enjoyment that the players have and will almost certainly have a positive impact on the amount of people playing.

which one is the mindset which is better for PA?

plus, your forgetting that Android currently has more market share than the iphone, so which OS should we create an app for?
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Last edited by Light; 28 Mar 2011 at 12:35.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2011, 09:50   #9
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

People owning Mac stuff often think they are the center of the world, Light. Don't wake them from their dream :P
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2011, 10:27   #10
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

I thought this was a thread about how App could increase the playerbase with their bot accounts. :/
Unread 28 Mar 2011, 12:26   #11
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Strider View Post
I thought this was a thread about how App could increase the playerbase with their bot accounts. :/
I thought the same, lol
Unread 28 Mar 2011, 15:29   #12
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Strider View Post
lol thats worth at least 2 cookies

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Mar 2011, 01:10   #13
Clogg
SiNíng is a lifestyle

well I just had a seminar about touch computing or something and it turns out that using that you can code for iOS and java. So you can reach virtually all smartphone users.

And tbh I have an iPhone, but thusfar I have not used any apps which are not available on Android as well, iMobster aside.
Unread 4 Apr 2011, 19:36   #14
DoDDy
Twisted Individual

DoDDy can only hope to improve

tbh, back in the days I used to be able to sign in and do my thing on pa with a wap phone plain txt. Do you really need anymore than that?
#17 | 4:2:7 |Schumacher Levy 9 of Collision on Jupiter
DoDDy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2011, 15:33   #15
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoDDy View Post
tbh, back in the days I used to be able to sign in and do my thing on pa with a wap phone plain txt. Do you really need anymore than that?
Of course not, but Mac lovers think they do.
Unread 13 May 2012, 20:17   #16
Amycus
Flame me...

Amycus will become famous soon enoughAmycus will become famous soon enough

If PA had an app version I'd buy it and play again for sure.
r4: [Tuba]HC
r11: [SiN]
r12: [SiN]HC
r13: [eX]
r19: [TGV]
r20: Destiny
r21: What? Are you kidding?

Ooooomph! Come back Noah02!
Amycus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2012, 10:05   #17
VenoX

VenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant future

I'm currently working for a company developing a cross platform application for a high profile betting company in the UK. Developing an optimised mobile theme for PA to create a "mobile site" and using something like phonegap (look it up) to provide a native app like wrapper cross platform (ie to iOS, android, windows mobile etc) wouldn't actually require as much development as you might think. If PA team/Jagex were to seriously consider implementing this then I wouldn't mind lending some expertise in the area.

I actually strongly support this idea as a player, clicking around the text only skins on a smartphone (I have the galaxy S2 so a considerably large screen) is the bane of my life.
Unread 16 May 2012, 18:48   #18
[DDK]gm

[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future

Expand the playerbase.... do anything ffs
R10 Eclipse
R10.5-R13 FAnG
R20-23 CT
R23 (CT BG) ToF
R24-R82... CT
[DDK]gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2012, 10:42   #19
Nitros
Internal Error

Nitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to behold

Cant be too hard to implement an APP or facebook-edit for the game.
This is related to the Jagex topic though.

[]LCH[] ..lets change history
Nitros is offline   Reply With Quote