User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 12 Aug 2011, 21:38   #1
Korsan
Always MadcowS

Korsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the rough
Appoco: I ask somewhere else :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster View Post
This thread is meant to be about round names. If you want to ask, please ask somewhere else, and I shall respond.
Well you gave me word to answer

So, anything heard from Jagex? Any word on a pa link? Do they communicate with you "The Man of PA" at least? If yes, can you please give us some little updates about their plans?

And...

Relation Change Ascendancy and the Horde are now at war with each other.
Korsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2011, 22:47   #2
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Appoco: I ask somewhere else :)

Sorry, missed this. I did look for it a day or two ago though! I can't have looked very hard.

So.
We've more contact with someone from Jagex recently. We are making plans with them and they are looking to get a team together to move things forward.

Unfortunately they've been busy and conducted several business deals that are pretty public, which has forced them to spend time focusing on that. I think they'd be the first to admit that they have spent a lot less time on Planetarion than they planned, and some of their plans went a bit awry.

They're still committed to improving the game and then, once there's more new user / mass user support, listing it on their main site. I know that a lot of people want that to happen asap, but if the game completely breaks and all the users sign up, join, get confused, leave, we could have several thousand random empty planets that we have to cope with. We might have to change the protection period to cope with that. That's part of future planning, to discuss. Discussions on how the signup, galaxy, exile and alliance system would cope with a sudden influx of new players are, of course, welcome on the suggestions forum.
Unread 14 Aug 2011, 23:29   #3
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

That's just a giant nothing answer.
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2011, 11:27   #4
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Well, no. not really.
Unread 15 Aug 2011, 12:27   #5
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Just a thought but why not be proactive and get some ideas about how to integrate new users rather than wait for jagex to take their finger out of their arse , for example once the new rd starts you could use the beta server and get a few people to run a couple of hundred bot planets each to simulate the extra players

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2011, 12:31   #6
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo View Post
Just a thought but why not be proactive and get some ideas about how to integrate new users rather than wait for jagex to take their finger out of their arse , for example once the new rd starts you could use the beta server and get a few people to run a couple of hundred bot planets each to simulate the extra players
firstly, lol at getting a few people to run hundreds of bot planets. I don't see how that helps, to be honest - we just see how the existing system breaks, and we kinda know that. Need more ideas on how to fix it.

secondly, I seriously don't have the time to run that sort of thing. this end of round / beginning of round section coincided with a period of low work volume for me and a weeks holiday I spent a lot of time coding on, which brought about many of this round's changes. I have little development capacity for the next month or more now.

Cin is working on something that you should see reasonably soon (I hope ) and then we'll see what's next on the list. Also depends on feedback from Jagex.
Unread 15 Aug 2011, 12:41   #7
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Ok maybe a bad example but my point of being proactive still stands , if you and cin are to busy to do it then delegate it to someone else
to do it

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2011, 13:28   #8
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well, no. not really.
To be clear, I don't blame you Appoco. But all you've done is reiterate old promises and ideas. People want to see results. And not just results in terms of developing the game, no matter how busy Jagex may have been, you'd think they could get someone to spare an hour of their life once every two months to pop in on IRC at the end of rounds or something. So yes, it's a giant nothing answer.
Unread 15 Aug 2011, 15:24   #9
Korsan
Always MadcowS

Korsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the rough

Appocomaster so Jagex again does nothing... But thanks for your answer!

ellonweb: I don't think the community can do the needed ads to attract more players. Me and some other players even dedicated 2 rounds and made a new alliance to hold all those people who normally quit pa after their first night of incs.
PA needs ads. I have never seen any banner on any site. How is PA supposed to grow if nobody cares?

And...

Last edited by Korsan; 15 Aug 2011 at 16:09.
Unread 15 Aug 2011, 15:27   #10
Appocomaster
PA Team

I am trying to say that they are actually starting to do something.
I must not have made that clear.
Unread 15 Aug 2011, 15:47   #11
ellonweb

Korsan, not sure how your comments are related to what I said...

Appoco, yeh I got that. You said they're doing stuff. I'm saying that no one should be happy until we see stuff actually happening. Actions speak a thousand words etc.
Unread 15 Aug 2011, 16:10   #12
Korsan
Always MadcowS

Quote:
sry appoco I somehow didnt see your initial response my post is edited now to make me look less dumb

And...

Unread 16 Aug 2011, 07:48   #13
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsan
sry appoco I somehow didnt see your initial response my post is edited now to make me look less dumb

wont work .. we all know your a few bricks short of a house
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2011, 20:54   #14
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

jesus another Korsan vs Jagex thread... give up and go back under your rock

If you put as much effort into making sure you didnt crash as you do into writing these posts then maybe xVx would have won rd 42 :P
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2011, 21:05   #15
ellonweb

jesus another thread with Kaiba trying to act like one of the big kids and pretend he's ecool... give up and go back under your rock

If you put as much effort into PA as you do into writing these posts then maybe whichever alliance you claim membership to now would have won rd 42 :P
Unread 16 Aug 2011, 21:58   #16
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

we would have won - if it wasnt for Korsan :P
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2011, 00:14   #17
Korsan
Always MadcowS

meh

And...

Unread 17 Aug 2011, 14:47   #18
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellonweb View Post
Korsan, not sure how your comments are related to what I said...

Appoco, yeh I got that. You said they're doing stuff. I'm saying that no one should be happy until we see stuff actually happening. Actions speak a thousand words etc.
No, *****, actions speak louder than words. Pictures paint a thousand words.

Don't mix and match, this isn't candy - it's serious business.
Unread 17 Aug 2011, 20:18   #19
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
you've been saying the same thing for over a year now?

'Been in contact and they're just sorting things out now'
afew months later
'yeah theyve been busy but we've recently spoke and they're just setting up a team'
afew months later
'been a busy year, they're still finalising plans'
afew months later
'been a busy year, they're still finalising plans' (you got bored of coming up with excuses to just copy and pasted

when the sad reality is, that even zPeti did more than JageX.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2011, 01:01   #20
ellonweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3k View Post
No, *****, actions speak louder than words. Pictures paint a thousand words.

Don't mix and match, this isn't candy - it's serious business.
Hah, my bad! I knew it seemed wrong but it just wasn't worth the effort to figure it out; it's all about the point, not the words in which I make it.
Unread 18 Aug 2011, 03:36   #21
Korsan
Always MadcowS

well... I respect you for your efforts Appoco but forgive me when I say I think you dont do enough. You don't keep up pressure on Jagex. Only on demand we get some answers. You are the only one that can even reach them and still you don't get them to at least say anything.
Again, sorry if I'm wrong but that's how it looks to me.

And...

Unread 18 Aug 2011, 10:12   #22
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly though, are you really expecting Jagex to do anything with this game? A quick look at their portal and it's quite clear that PA does not fit the game profile that they advertise. A text based game that messes with your sleep pattern, relies heavily on an external irc network and offers almost zero interaction during the peak online hours of normal people.
To be honest, if PA ever makes it to the Jagex portal, it will probably be if they completely redesign the game from ground up and keep the name of the game.
Unread 18 Aug 2011, 10:22   #23
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Works for me.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2011, 13:14   #24
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsan View Post
well... I respect you for your efforts Appoco but forgive me when I say I think you dont do enough. You don't keep up pressure on Jagex. Only on demand we get some answers. You are the only one that can even reach them and still you don't get them to at least say anything.
Again, sorry if I'm wrong but that's how it looks to me.
The only one apart from the rest of the PA Team, I'm sure you mean.

It's not like one of the Jagex people doesn't pop on and talk in #planetarion occasionally. He just doesn't announce who he is. That can sometimes be amusing.

Also, what did zPeti do for Planetarion? I'm awaiting a breakthrough. So far, we've had Fubra's broken storage system vs the Jagex faulty firewall, but after the firewall was fixed, we have ticks that take 1/10th of the time from Jagex. They've also reduced credit prices since zPeti raised them to cover his VAT payments. zPeti did produce a skin.
If anything, I'd say Jagex have edged it. Or..?
Unread 18 Aug 2011, 17:08   #25
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It seems to have been a good while since the last.. let's say unscheduled maintenance, too.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2011, 17:22   #26
TheoDD
Othello Champion, Solitaire Champion, Anime BlackJack Champion

TheoDD has a spectacular aura aboutTheoDD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio2k View Post
Honestly though, are you really expecting Jagex to do anything with this game? A quick look at their portal and it's quite clear that PA does not fit the game profile that they advertise. A text based game that messes with your sleep pattern, relies heavily on an external irc network and offers almost zero interaction during the peak online hours of normal people.
To be honest, if PA ever makes it to the Jagex portal, it will probably be if they completely redesign the game from ground up and keep the name of the game.
This just makes me curious, why do you play this text based game that mess up your sleep pattern?
TheoDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2011, 18:08   #27
Reincarnate
ToF

Reincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
It seems to have been a good while since the last.. let's say unscheduled maintenance, too.
new galaxy status page?
[19:10] <coffee-> dont worry about Reincarnate he is an angry man

R1 - 9 none | R10.5 - 13 [ToF] | R14 [Reunion] | R15-17 [Subh] | R18 - 36 PA vacation | R37 [Evo] | R38 [NFI] | R39 & 40 [ToF] | R41 [Omega] | R42 - 47 [ToF][HC]
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2011, 22:32   #28
Korsan
Always MadcowS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio2k View Post
Well, they spent some money to buy this game so I'd expect Jagex to do something. Maybe they let PA die on purpose to use the name for their own upcomming game? I don't know... All I know is that Jagex is another owner in the sad history of pa owners.

And...

Unread 19 Aug 2011, 15:51   #29
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoDD View Post
This just makes me curious, why do you play this text based game that mess up your sleep pattern?
Nostalgia and boredom mostly. Although it doesn't mess with my sleep pattern since i don't wake up at nights anymore
Unread 19 Aug 2011, 16:55   #30
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsan View Post
Well, they spent some money to buy this game so I'd expect Jagex to do something. Maybe they let PA die on purpose to use the name for their own upcomming game? I don't know... All I know is that Jagex is another owner in the sad history of pa owners.
If you check the other Jagex thread, you will notice that there are more people who also feel that the value of the current PA is just the name / domain of the game. At one point it was also the playerbase, but the playerbase has been in constant decline. In order for Jagex to get more of the game, the game itself needs to be of appeal to more people. This will only happen if the game changes to attract more casual gamers.
Now, this is my opinion, there are other people that feel that this change would actually kill PA. Although you should ask yourself from the owners perspective, what is the point of keeping alive a game that has around 900 players, with an estimated 600 paying accounts. That is an estimated 3000 € per round. With let's say 6 rounds per year we are looking at a gross income of 18000 € from which you still need to deduct the cost of servers / bandwidth. If they have to pay staff to work on game maintenance, I doubt that this game is very profitable.

I started playing last round again as i was nostalgic to see what happened to PA after 2 or so years of being away, but it seems that noone in charge has had the balls to make a change that actually brings more players to this game. I also bought a 3 credit pack, so i'll be around for 2 more rounds, after which i will most probably quit again if Pa stays the way it is. A pity actually, i like this game, but the way it is designed doesn't fit my "rythm".
Unread 24 Aug 2011, 12:15   #31
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

/me grumbles...

Appoco, feel free to mention that they are free to contact me anytime, spinnerATTTTmanagerleague.com, in case they wish to..you know...let someone have a second shot at this...
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2011, 12:34   #32
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

I heard you had a new game coming at Spinner...

...I also heard most people will leave here and follow your new game and it is eagerly anticipated
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2011, 14:10   #33
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

lo Forest (-:
You're quite right, but I hope I won't be responsible for dealing the final blow...I'd much rather see both games prosper when the time comes.
I should probably put some PA-ads in it!
Unread 24 Aug 2011, 14:12   #34
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

In the "weird-news" column, I can also reveal that as of about 5 minutes ago, the last server we used for PA was finally decommissioned permanently. It's last SCSI-disk died, after 10 years of faithful service and nearly non-stop usage. It certainly deserves it's rest.
Unread 24 Aug 2011, 15:45   #35
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

Rip