User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 15 Nov 2005, 16:07   #1
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold
Conviction

It seems to me that conviction is the single scariest and most damaging thing to deal with, in every day life, in relationships, in politics.

While it is undoubtedly life affirming to be so sure in yourself, or so sure in a belief that you're willing to do any of the below (just three examples) :

a/ die for for it
b/ base your knowledge of the world around it
c/ presume alternatives are wrong, or are temptations to lead you astray

Its not hard to see why people hold conviction so dear. Fear of death, loneliness or isolation, a search for some sort of life purpose, foolish ideas that its possible to can right or wrong. Im not just talking about religion either, conviction over personal issues is just as worrying. Are you sure you really love that person, or have you just repeated it to yourself so many times that you're incapable of thinking anything else? Are you really sure that you believe the propaganda that comes out your mouth?

The end of conviction is just as damaging though. Finding out you have nothing to say, finding out the novel you've been intending to write for so long is basically the rehash of a Grisham with a few personal experiences thrown in for good measure, finding out your love is based on fear or jealousy.

Its actually quite incredible the control we have over our own minds, programming ourselves to follow a course of action, preferring to believe we have a mission, rather than living in confusion and chaos.

Conviction is one of the few things you could say Bush, Stalin, Ghandi, Hitler, Hobbes, Arafat, my mate dave who is sure he's the world best guitarist have in common. In some cases it can be a harmless goal (like the spread of global authoritarian communism) and some cases it can be catastrophic (like the cover of sweet child of mine i heard last night). How can you reason with someone who already has a mindset?

I understand why, and how, and believe me, im not above conviction either - if i was, i wouldnt believe in anything (such as that i'm a great cook, or that Sunderland are getting relegated this year) - but its just difficult for me to comprehend such surity in my current state of mind.

I wish i could be that sure about anything again.
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2005, 16:14   #2
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Conviction

While GD has always been more than willing to offer completely free (and completely useless) advice on how to get/maintain/improve your love life.

Increasingly it has entered the 'conviction' of some GD posters that GD is now offering a free mental health service.

Now i'm not complaining about the fact that none of us are qualified, or hold ourselves out to be qualified in the sphere of mental health. After all we are seldom qualified to give advice on why someone can't get his end away or why someone 'accidentally' committed necrophilia.

The difference is that these topics are hilariously funny. They are fundamentally entertaining.

A series of angsty teenagers worrying about their depression or mental instability is just disturbing and ****ing boring.
Unread 15 Nov 2005, 16:21   #3
Duncan
saint-ciboire de tabarnac

Duncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud of

The world is so corrupt.
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2005, 16:21   #4
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

Im not entirely sure what your reply has to do with my thread, but im happy you took the time to read it.
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2005, 16:43   #5
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJohn
Im not entirely sure what your reply has to do with my thread, but im happy you took the time to read it.
I didn't take the time to read it though.
Unread 15 Nov 2005, 16:49   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJohn
It seems to me that conviction is the single scariest and most damaging thing to deal with, in every day life, in relationships, in politics.
Are you sure about that?
Unread 15 Nov 2005, 16:53   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Conviction can be a wonderful thing.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2005, 01:28   #8
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In my work, convictions are good things.
Unread 18 Nov 2005, 09:51   #9
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've died for my convictions many times

But I get better.

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2005, 10:44   #10
Summanus
Banned

Summanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really nice

Convictions are good, they keep kiddies safe. Which makes it a shame that Dace doesn't have any.
Summanus is offline   Reply With Quote