User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 May 2003, 02:53   #1
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Tactical Discussions?

Tactical Discussions
Discuss everything strategical about Planetarion.

Shouldn't that be: `Discuss everything tactical about Planetarion`?

I realize this may be off topic for this forum; but then again--who else cares?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 02:57   #2
Atamur
Ngisne

Atamur is an unknown quantity at this point
Must feel good to have a forum named after you, Tacticus.
Unread 23 May 2003, 03:13   #3
_o0o_
ostensibly Obscure oddity

_o0o_ is an unknown quantity at this point
ahhh...but then it would need to be Tactital Discussions...wouldn't it?
_o0o_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 03:50   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
To be honest, I don't see why the name was changed, as strategy refers to longterm goals and methods, while tactics are short term, one off, decisions.

I trust this forum will be about what is the ideal fleet to send to a target.

ie. a glorified battlecalc.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 03:54   #5
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
It's rarely productuve to have non-players messing about with Planetarion-based forum areas.

Can anyone say "split the boards".

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 03:58   #6
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
I assume that the name change is merely a cosmetic one and not intended to imply that the subject matter of the forums has been changed. Adding the word 'discussions' does make the forum appear more consistent with 'Planetarion Discussions', 'Alliance Discussions' and 'General Discussions', though why 'Strategy' was replaced with 'Tactical' is beyond me.

Planetarion is mostly a game of tactics rather than strategy though, so the name seems appropriate enough.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 04:01   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Whether tactics are strategy are more important, I feel, is a moot point; you can't discuss tactics very well (without resorting to individual fleet comparisons, as I said in my earlier post), whereas you can have discussions on, say, overall Zik strategies for the round, or the best way to roid with Cath.
Unread 23 May 2003, 04:17   #8
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
In truth, neither description fits.

"Should I choose Terran?" is a strategic question. "Pegasus/Wyvern combos work well" is a statement about tactics. Both are valid topics of discussion here, so neither name completely describes what is discussed.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 04:21   #9
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
To be honest, I don't see why the name was changed
I'm sure it was changed for the usual reason (forum admins demonstrating the absolute and arbitrary nature of their power). I was mostly just commenting on the fact that they did the usual half-assed job of it by neglecting to update the description to match the new name.
Quote:
I trust this forum will be about what is the ideal fleet to send to a target.

ie. a glorified battlecalc.
Certainly by now someone must have a battlecalc that does that automatically?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 04:21   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I prefer strategy, as tactical decisions tend to be contained much better.
Unread 23 May 2003, 04:23   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Certainly by now someone must have a battlecalc that does that automatically?
I was writing one towards the end of r4, didn't bother to finish it before the round stopped, missed r5, and couldn't be bothered to put the new races in.

Linear programming algorithm anyone?

[edit]

On second thoughts, the linear programming algorithm only worked for a round like r4, where fleet compositions were simple. There's too many combinations to do that now, you'd probably have to have some kind of iterative thingymabob.
Unread 23 May 2003, 08:34   #12
leknu
Ensign

leknu is on a distinguished road
R4 automation: some pods + as much phoenix as possible to get max cap. Not much of a challenge to code eh?
leknu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 09:39   #13
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
oh yay, they take time to make non-needed changes to the boards, and im still not getting any fricken mails when someone replies ;\

Good thing i tried to use helpdesk,
JJ says: they're looking in to it.
..*locked*
Unread 23 May 2003, 13:46   #14
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
hmm, i like the name Strategy for this forum still though :\.

btw is it still #strategy or is it now #tactical or #tacdiscussion etc?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 13:47   #15
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Newbie
hmm, i like the name Strategy for this forum still though :\.

btw is it still #strategy or is it now #tactical or #tacdiscussion etc?
#td
Unread 23 May 2003, 13:49   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

It's not our fault if the mails aren't sending, and there is actually nothing we can do about it apart from telling Jolt, as things stand.
Unread 23 May 2003, 15:03   #17
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
is this the right moment to point out that
NOONE TOLD ME FS !!!1122

...well?
Unread 23 May 2003, 17:23   #18
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Get used to it c0w, such is the 'way' of things when you're in the system.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 23 May 2003, 18:57   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
Get used to it c0w, such is the 'way' of things when you're in the system.

Don't worry, once I get back in I'll keep that ****er JJ in line if he knows what's good for him. Anyhow it's hardly a change of content, and as Rob pointed out was probably done for cosmetic reasons.

PS I don't know if this ever happened but before I quit as AD mod i recommended sitting down and revamping the PA concerned section of the boards. As much as one recognises that the merging of all the previous "planetarion related" boards into one was good my actual suggestion still hasn't been implemented.

PPS (Planetarion) Military discussions as a name to include all aspects?
Unread 23 May 2003, 19:37   #20
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
the thing that most interests me is not the new name , but the vehement fashion in which the change is argued.

but is that becasue
A we're all so bored

or

B we're so stuck in our ways we abhore change.

(ps, you'll all say A but think B)

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 20:03   #21
Cochese
Retired

B, without hesitation.

It'd be nice to know just why the name was changed (since it suited the forum quite well since it's inception), ie, the reasoning behind it.

Poor Strategy folks never hurt anyone, leave us be

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 23 May 2003, 23:33   #22
Karmulian

Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
B, without hesitation.

It'd be nice to know just why the name was changed (since it suited the forum quite well since it's inception), ie, the reasoning behind it.

Poor Strategy folks never hurt anyone, leave us be

honest reasoning
we wanted it to have a better more official sounding name
and that the first thing that lept into my head
JJ agreed
hence it happened..
Unread 23 May 2003, 23:39   #23
Cochese
Retired

Thanks for clearing that up.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 24 May 2003, 00:55   #24
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
A or B?

'B'
Unread 30 May 2003, 12:08   #25
Salomo
Commodore

Salomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by _o0o_
ahhh...but then it would need to be Tactital Discussions...wouldn't it?
i'd be absolutely in favour of naming it after tactitus

r1: n00b
r2: 7:11 - T7C HC, WaC(Jr), Sedition HC
r3: 31:25 - Sedition, Century, SL HC
r4: 95:21 - BlueTubas'
r5: 30:5 - BlueTubas, VtS
r6: 33:24:1 - Deus Ex Machina HC, politically retired
r7: 38:22 -> 26:11 - RaH peon
r8: 12:3:4 - Defended by 1:1
Salomo is offline   Reply With Quote