User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 25 May 2014, 12:11   #1
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Who will win the world cup?

Well, obviously England, but who will come second?

I fancy Brazil; it's their home games and whilst they've struggled a bit in recent years, they could do pretty well. Spain must be fancied to be the strongest European team, though Belgium or Italy could be a surprise and Germany always do pretty well.

I don't think Luiz Suarez will do as well in the World Cup as he did in the Premier League, though. Maybe some other Premier League star will shine?
Unread 26 May 2014, 09:58   #2
jensonsmith

jensonsmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Who will win the world cup?

Germany, they have a great side, look out for Marco Reus & Mario Gotze.
jensonsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2014, 10:29   #3
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone outside of Spain, Brazil and Argentina win I will be very surprised. SPain remain the favorites to me.
Unread 26 May 2014, 10:34   #4
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

This my ranking of the 20 strongest sides at the world cup;

Spain
Argentina
Brazil
Germany
-------
Portugal
Colombia
France
Belgium
-------
Uruguay
Chile
England
Holland
Italy
---------
Croatia
Japan
Bosnia
Ivory Coast
Switzerland
South Korea
Nigeria

The ------ shows a drop in percieved quality between the "tiers"
Unread 26 May 2014, 11:18   #5
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I agree with the top group and bottom group (though I'm sure someone from the bottom group will surprise us), but I am interested in how you've separated Portugal / Colombia / France / Belgium from Uruguay, Chile, England, Holland and Italy. Why is this?
Unread 26 May 2014, 12:09   #6
isildurx

They simply have a better starting XI as far as I see it. More complete teams, despite Colombia having a very slow centre of the defence, Belgium lacking tournament-experience and Portugal lacking a central striker.

The other five teams simply have a lot more questionmarks surrounding them, in terms of favored formation/first XI, lack of truly world-class players (Chile(though Vidal is amazing), Italy, England), an awful defence(Holland), questions surrounding Suarez being injured(and Uruguay outside of Suarez/Cavani being pretty average).
Unread 26 May 2014, 12:56   #7
SantaCruz
I've been around

SantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to behold

Italy that low? They don't even have to score to make it into the elimination round. ^^
Unread 26 May 2014, 13:37   #8
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Isilx's top 4 are imo the only real contenders everyone else is outshots.
Unread 26 May 2014, 13:40   #9
isildurx

Italy are in a tough group, don't have many goalscoring threats, Pirlo is getting ooooold and haven't really been that impressive for a while now.
Unread 26 May 2014, 17:57   #10
TheoDD
Othello Champion, Solitaire Champion, Anime BlackJack Champion

TheoDD has a spectacular aura aboutTheoDD has a spectacular aura about

Hoping for Greece, but believe it will be Spain and no others.
TheoDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2014, 07:02   #11
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

I personally can't see Spain doing much. They aren't as defensively sound as they used to be and everyone is getting used to combatting the tika taka style. There is a reason Barcelona aren't the force they were. No plan B and its the same for Spain.

Germany will be there or there abouts. No Tevez for Argentina means they will lack passion when it matters.

You can't write off Holland because they grind results.

Italy are over the hill and their league lacks quality.

Brazil all depends on how they handle the home pressure.

The team that interests me most is England actually (yes I'm English) but I think it comes down to Roy. Of what is considered the preferred starting 11 only 5 of them were at the last World Cup playing. They have astonishing pace in the front third and hopefully will have a core through the side of one team, Liverpool, who blew teams away last season. I think Raheem Sterling will light up the World Cup and England will get 7 points in there group (9 if no Saurez for Uruguay). I think one of keys will be playing Gerrard in the role he plays for his club and playing Henderson alongside him. The less running he has to do and the most he can dictate play the better England will be.

It will be a good World Cup but England are my dark horses to reach the semi's. I think personally the only team that worries me is Germany as they can be unbeatable when they want.
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2014, 08:16   #12
isildurx

I could present arguments for why you're wrong, but I cba

Barcelona was a lot less tiki-taka this season than previouss seasons(due to new manager), could be that the reason they didn't win anything was because they weren't tiki-taka enough? ALso, BArcelona was a incorrectly judged offside goal away from winning La Liga.

The fact of the matter is that player-for-player Spain easily has the best first XI and squad at the WC.
Unread 27 May 2014, 10:17   #13
Appocomaster
PA Team

There were two Spanish teams in the CL final and they do have some Spanish players, and Barca were still close. I agree they must be strong.

I can't see England settling things alight, though I'd like to see how Sterling does (depending on if he plays and where he is played).
Unread 27 May 2014, 23:54   #14
Fruntxas

Fruntxas is an unknown quantity at this point

Portugal is in the finals for sure
Fruntxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2014, 11:54   #15
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

I think Brazil, Argentina or Spain.

The Germans; while definitely the best team in the world, they struggle with any sort of climate change.

England, Portugal, France, Italy or Holland on paper are solid choices but struggle to make an impact.

I think Ivory Coast will suprise a few people and I think Belgium are being too hyped up.
Unread 3 Jun 2014, 11:18   #16
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

As a Belgian, I agree with Veil05 that we're being too hyped.
If I was a betting man, my money would be on Brazil.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote