User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 29 Jan 2006, 14:39   #1
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society
Buddypack system, an failure?

As i am writing this, on tick 41 I note that the buddypack system has gotten some very "unfortunate" effects for the new players signing up on the game. So if someone creates an buddypack and are new players the effects on the game's galaxy system is quite dire when it comes to activity.

R1 Score 411,816

down to

R224 Score: 113,376

So when it comes to the buddypack system, an buddypack created by inactive players are quite dire for the players playing random. Alot of expirienced players play random, but also alot of new players who dont know the game that much does.

Wouldnt it be better in the future to put the higher ranked randoms into the lower ranked buddypacks to avoid the big differences in activity as we have pr now? Again, I know its early, but I think we can see an trend here.
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 14:43   #2
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
Re: Buddypack system, an failure?

What I don't like is seeing a galaxy with 10 active players and another one with 5 inactives right after the shuffle, there's something wrong with it. The round is pretty much focked up from the start for unfortunate players.
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 14:55   #3
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
Wouldnt it be better in the future to put the higher ranked randoms into the lower ranked buddypacks to avoid the big differences in activity as we have pr now? Again, I know its early, but I think we can see an trend here.
Rank means so little at pt36 that this would encourage people to do nothing for those ticks so they can get into a better galaxy.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 14:57   #4
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

I think the problem was that more people went random this round, as you cant exile if your in a buddy pack. If you get stuck in a shit one...your stuck
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 14:59   #5
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Rank means so little at pt36 that this would encourage people to do nothing for those ticks so they can get into a better galaxy.
But surely, the buddypack system as it is now only indicates that if you end up in an low ranked bp u will only have one way of getting out of it and that is to exile as quick as possible.
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 15:09   #6
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
But surely, the buddypack system as it is now only indicates that if you end up in an low ranked bp u will only have one way of getting out of it and that is to exile as quick as possible.
It depends on the player. As a casual player it's not hard to get top100 in a good galaxy, but that changes if you're in a crap one. I've advocated getting rid of galaxies in favor of large decentralized structures for casual players and improved alliances for hardcore ones for quite a while now, but no one likes that idea.
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 15:20   #7
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light

I've gone random and my galaxy is totally sh1t. I cant wait to exile \o/

I've simply got noob BPers or farms in my gal and their round is f#cked already.
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 15:22   #8
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

The inability to break up a buddypack will also lead to that some people will just stop playing if they get constant roided because of a crappy buddypack. You might advocate that it was their own fault. But destroying their round just because they made a lousy choice (or that their HC put them into that buddypack) isnt gonna help the game, nor the player at all.
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 15:33   #9
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Kargool - you join buddypacks to be with your friends and play with them so there buddypack wouldnt be "crappy". And if your HC put you into a buddypack with "crappy" people then its the HC's fault and they have to sort it out (ie make sure defence is orgainsed).

As far as I know, Buddypacking goes randomly so theres no way of balancing. And ranks at the beginning of the round mean diddly squat. I'm pretty sure that the winners / dominant planets and players arnt anywhere near the top spots and the top alliances arn't all in-game at the same point.

There is always this debate when people get bad gals and this is amplified by the fact that you can't leave your buddy pack.
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 16:22   #10
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge

There is always this debate when people get bad gals and this is amplified by the fact that you can't leave your buddy pack.

So what you are saying is basically that the system isnt flawed?
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 17:07   #11
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxi
I think the problem was that more people went random this round, as you cant exile if your in a buddy pack. If you get stuck in a shit one...your stuck
thats not at all true - the smaller galaxies suggest more people went in packs this round than went random

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 17:52   #12
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

There clearly is a massive difference between the really good and hardcore BPs and the 'im playing with my mates to try out this new game' BPs. The people the landing in the latter BPs will then surely do their utmost to exile into a gal which contains the really good BPs. I am sure to atleast, had it not been that my BP is hard to figure out if is good or not
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 18:59   #13
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

Well to put it bluntly. i didnt land in a good gal and looking at the gal rankings on tick 37. (after shuffle) and seeing the top gal had all 10 planets above 100 roids. Really didnt seem fair..
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 19:17   #14
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

My bp got landed with 2 planets with 0 roids, 1 with 18 roids and 1 with 25.

YAY \o/
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 19:23   #15
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

Can i come pway with you then Gate?
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 20:25   #16
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

I landed in a gal whos nearly the top soon, but its still not a 'good gal' in my opinion, so even if your buddypack has only bad randoms in your gal you should be able to do good.
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 20:58   #17
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker
Can i come pway with you then Gate?
Of course you can.

Anyone who's active enough to click a mouse is invited!
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 21:39   #18
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I think its worth pointing out that a lot of theese problems are becuase its a free round - the shuffler will move small free planets to c200, but won;t move small paid planets to c200 - hence why there were 0 roid planets in galaxies after the shuffle. With hindsight this should have been forseen and dealt with, but it was not, and all we can do is apologise for this. However this does raise the question - in future shuffles, should paid small planets also be sent to c200?

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 29 Jan 2006, 22:02   #19
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Yes they should.
_Kila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 22:42   #20
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yes, of course they should.
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 23:45   #21
Tis
Lost the Fury... :(

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of

Quote:

Wouldnt it be better in the future to put the higher ranked randoms into the lower ranked buddypacks to avoid the big differences in activity as we have pr now?.
Specifically trying to put active players in the shitties gals will make you very very unpopular.... and they will just exile out as soon as they can anyway. Punishing people for a good active start is not a good idea. Getting stuck in a crappy hellhole of a gal is depressing enough when its completely random.

That said, I agree that there are some problems with the buddy pack system, but as long as innactives are allowed the same rights as actives that will always be the case.
Tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2006, 00:30   #22
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Wouldnt it be better in the future to put the higher ranked randoms into the lower ranked buddypacks to avoid the big differences in activity as we have pr now?
Yeah, let those scanners end up in noobgals

Good riddance
Unread 30 Jan 2006, 02:11   #23
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
thats not at all true - the smaller galaxies suggest more people went in packs this round than went random
Any chance of getting the actual figures? Just out of interest.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2006, 08:31   #24
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne
Any chance of getting the actual figures? Just out of interest.
well the gal size after the shuffle was between 9 and 10 this round whereas it was about 14 last round, so thats about 40% more people going in buddy packs I think.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 30 Jan 2006, 09:14   #25
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
well the gal size after the shuffle was between 9 and 10 this round whereas it was about 14 last round, so thats about 40% more people going in buddy packs I think.
Closer to 50%, but that's assuming the buddypacks are all full.
Unread 30 Jan 2006, 12:55   #26
Gate
;D!

I'd like to request that you stop putting 0 roid inactives in my gal please.

A nice big xan would do nicely?
Unread 30 Jan 2006, 14:18   #27
Victuri

The shuffle has been generous to me, plus if your on your own you can be exiled and exile so its a win win situation for me, although at the moment its win
Unread 30 Jan 2006, 18:46   #28
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Victuri - it's a shame that it's only you in this thread who's actually won. Generous you may as well have won the damn lottery.
Unread 30 Jan 2006, 19:25   #29
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Victuri - it's a shame that it's only you in this thread who's actually won. Generous you may as well have won the damn lottery.
the people who have ok/good galaxies don't feel the need to comment on the whole - the fact that not that many people are complaining is actually a very good sign.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 30 Jan 2006, 19:44   #30
Zeke

Zeke is on a distinguished road

Well I have one 0 roid player aswell, and It kinda sucks, because he was in my buddypack, he was online nonstop before tickstart and on irc aswell and promised me to be on all the time, and I took him as I had 1 free spot left and he was in a different time zone.. And now? Since tick start he has not logged in, so will there be a 0 roids player in my galaxy the whole round now, or how is this going to be solved? o0
I think I can't say I landed in a bad galaxy, I think you can say after the first 2 weeks, but even after that, you might get 5 new active members and all the others get active, so you never know...
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2006, 05:18   #31
Pinkerton
doo doo dah

Pinkerton can only hope to improve

Hey at tick..hmm.. 120 all gals exile their inactives to the 200s. Then on tick 121 all active paleyrs exile themselves to take their place. Wudya think?
Pinkerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2006, 15:57   #32
Razgriz
Retired FCHC

Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough

I won't go deep into this thread (coz i'm not meant to be here ) but i'm in a bp and i wish i hadn't. there are four fully active members including myself and we can't exile some of these inactives because of the bp exile rule.... ack!

Had my moan... bye bye now
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
---------------------------------------------------
[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]ucked

join our public chan #f-crew
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2006, 15:57   #33
Zeke

Zeke is on a distinguished road

well players like ma that are stuck in bp can't exile, although I hope that pa team does an update, so player in a bp can be exiled...
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2006, 16:00   #34
Razgriz
Retired FCHC

Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
although I hope that pa team does an update, so player in a bp can be exiled...
Wooooo! my thoughts exactly Zeke
....and bp players can selfexile
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
---------------------------------------------------
[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]ucked

join our public chan #f-crew
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2006, 04:57   #35
Cut Tooth
Renegade of Funk

Cut Tooth is a name known to allCut Tooth is a name known to allCut Tooth is a name known to allCut Tooth is a name known to allCut Tooth is a name known to allCut Tooth is a name known to all

Sometimes things happen in the real world that prevent players being able to come online - so what may have been a really good BP can become quite inactive. I don't see the problem with letting buddy pack members exile themselves, perhaps you could charge them a days worth of each resource as some sort of payment?
presumably this has to be mainstream news not 'omg 2 penguins were killed by an eskimo last night at 2am. local police chief Iwakoa Sanjo has said that the brutal murderers will be brought to justice snow style'.
Cut Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2006, 13:39   #36
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

They are not the only way.

Infact they ruin the game. New players get stuck with other new players and then the private gals feed on them. Effectivly bashing them till they quit.

A compramise between the 2. With bigger buddy packs mabey. But randoms have to get a chance at landing in experianced peoples gals or their is no hope of gaining new players
Unread 16 Feb 2006, 12:36   #37
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Just some updated information based on my obervations about buddypacks so far.

This leads to more alliances hitting the same galaxies.

With 5 people in a buddypack, it gets more attractive to hit a galaxy with 5 active in a buddypack due to their activity. The difference in size between galaxies makes it so that the galaxies with active buddypack's and active randoms takes more incoming than the smaller one's.

Since the active buddypacks changes the balance in the galaxy, there is bound to be more piggybacking as the active galaxies lessens in numbers due to them being less active after having multiple piggybacking wave attacks from several alliances.

Just an observation.
Unread 6 Mar 2006, 22:45   #38
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold

1. Yes, inactive paid accounts should be put into c200, too.
2. Yes, it should be possible to exile yourself if you're in a buddy pack.

It's still a lotery if you get a good (first) gal, random or buddy pack, but if you can always exile yourself, you will sooner or later land in a decent galaxy (I know it, I tried 7 times), so your round is not completely useless.

The other option would be to bring private galaxies back...but that would just lead to an invite-only elite, where new players don't get a chance, thus putting off even some more experienced players and, of course, the new players.

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr
XelNaga is offline   Reply With Quote