User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Nov 2005, 16:11   #1
Thex
Average Thex

Thex will become famous soon enoughThex will become famous soon enough
0 or 8 in the security question

Ok maybe its my maths that is bad, but I regularly cannot see the difference between a 0 or 8 in the security question and get it wrong. I'm worried that one day I'll lock myself out through not paying proper attention (I'm old see, my eye's aren't what they used to be :-) )

Any chance that maths questions are removed that use a 0 or 8?

My alliance is [BIG]ger than yours

[ex LOST], [ex IF], [ex G-II]
Thex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2005, 16:22   #2
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 0 or 8 in the security question

I don't think its that big a issue, if you can't read it properly, take a guess and try again if you are wrong? I never been locked out and make quite some mistakes when trying to login (usually at night or early morning).
Unread 2 Nov 2005, 19:00   #3
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Maybe his OCR bot can't tell the difference, Wandows.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2005, 20:31   #4
zen
zenguard

zen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura about

To be honest, i doubt removing the questions with 0 and 8 would be an issue either.
r15 Subh Member

"Siinä tapauksessa etenemme täydellä tuuppausvoimalla tuikutusetäisyydelle"
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2005, 10:10   #5
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

If you cant read it then theirs little chance that bots can read it thus being a rather effective bot stopper.
Unread 3 Nov 2005, 15:47   #6
Thex
Average Thex

But aren't there enough other questions that can be asked to stop bots? I'm not asking for all questions to be removed, just the 0/8 maths ones. I do look closely now, but occasionally still misread, sorry if I'm trying to make it easy to log on (and, yes, there is a difference between being easy to log on and stopping bots).

Obviously if I'm the only one then no worries, but I just thought it was a general issue and surely there is a list of questions so removing the 0/8 ones would be easy. However putting up unreadable questions just to stop bots is not the right solution.

Unread 3 Nov 2005, 16:12   #7
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

Theirs no reason to get rid of them though, your not gonna get locked out for doing one question wrong and youve got a 50% chance of getting it right any way.

If it was a huge issue really affecting people then mabey but as it stands it doesnt make a huge difference if their there and would be pretty time consuming to take them all out
Unread 3 Nov 2005, 19:47   #8
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

tbh it is true and very annoying at times... but not that's same as all the capitols of certain countries....

i doubt americans know all those etc..
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2005, 19:52   #9
CrazyConrad
DarnocYzarc

CrazyConrad is on a distinguished road

Capital of Norway....BERGEN!!!

nahh seriously though I often need a few tries to get in when I wake up middle of the night
Unread 3 Nov 2005, 20:13   #10
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyConrad
Capital of Norway....BERGEN!!!

nahh seriously though I often need a few tries to get in when I wake up middle of the night
it isnt? :eek:

ok, i do really know the answer is oslo

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2005, 20:17   #11
CrazyConrad
DarnocYzarc

CrazyConrad is on a distinguished road

Officially its Oslo unfortunatly but it really is Bergen
Unread 3 Nov 2005, 22:43   #12
Ron7684
Eat My Roids

Ron7684 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy
If you cant read it then theirs little chance that bots can read it thus being a rather effective bot stopper.
idd
Unread 4 Nov 2005, 01:38   #13
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Is Oslo/Bergen like Sydney/Canberra - ie, Sydney is the largest city, but Canberra is the capital?

I thought Oslo was the capital
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2005, 11:49   #14
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy
Actually it is vice versa. A computer program can spot tiniest differences rather easily while it may be very hard for a human. I smiled when a certain other MMORPG used a tiny 6-pixel font for some data and loads of people couldnt read it anymore on 1280 upwards while my bot was happy that more information could be extracted from the screen. It happened in more then one occasion that i personally had problem reading something while my programs happily read it

On the other hand excluding a bot by having indistinguishable questions would exclude humans just the same.

On a funny sidenote - i just got this question when i wanted to have a look at which font you use: http://www.reconstructor.com/pa/pag.bmp

A good example of a question where only bots can log in (hey thats kind of a new detection scheme isnt it - reverse anti-bot login
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2005, 16:02   #15
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Is Oslo/Bergen like Sydney/Canberra - ie, Sydney is the largest city, but Canberra is the capital?

I thought Oslo was the capital
Oslo is the capital and the largest city by far (However, large in Norway is not so large outside of Norway)

Bergen (or it's inhabitants), however, like to think that they are the best in Norway. They try to beat Oslo at everything (sports, pubs, schools, music or whatever they try to come up with), but they never manage it. I think they are just pissed beacause their dialect is shit and it rains every day over there. Oh well.

They do have a nice subway, to bad it only goes up and down a mountain!
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 02:26   #16
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Perhaps there should be a parallel botround running, where you are encouraged to OCR the anti bot images, and pitch bot against bot.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2005, 16:43   #17
Thex
Average Thex

I was asked this morning

After closing accounts are recoverable after: 10 mins, 10 days

I haven't gotten a damn clue. Can we at least have questions with a 0 and 8 in - at least I should know that answer, even if I can't read it.

Anyway 10 days is wrong, so I'll know for next time. But still the answer doesn't seem related to the question.

Last edited by Thex; 14 Nov 2005 at 22:49.
Unread 14 Nov 2005, 17:43   #18
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

"10 days" should be the right answer. That's what it's entered as.
Unread 14 Nov 2005, 18:08   #19
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

I just press back on the button at the top if i get a question i dont know or cant read speciallt the - or + questions sometimes them lines to stop bots are all over the place.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2005, 22:54   #20
Thex
Average Thex

My point about this question is more that it requires you to know an intricate part of PA. If you are a new player - or even an old player that couldn't care less how long after closing an account it can be reopened (like me), then you aren't going to know the answer.

Sure you could go back and attempt the question again, but I'd prefer that the questions were trying to fool bots than annoying me, either by appearing in a poor font or asking questions that without being looked up I don't know.

Unread 16 Nov 2005, 14:38   #21
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thex
My point about this question is more that it requires you to know an intricate part of PA. If you are a new player - or even an old player that couldn't care less how long after closing an account it can be reopened (like me), then you aren't going to know the answer.

Sure you could go back and attempt the question again, but I'd prefer that the questions were trying to fool bots than annoying me, either by appearing in a poor font or asking questions that without being looked up I don't know.
I dont mean do the question again if you are referring to my answer, Just press back if you cant read the question back to the login screen without attempting the question and re enter ur password again and get a new question that might come out better.
Takes all of 2 seconds.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2005, 13:14   #22
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher
tbh it is true and very annoying at times... but not that's same as all the capitols of certain countries....

i doubt americans know all those etc..
good point, I mean WTF since when does a PA player need to know the capital city of each European country? Even I don't know em all and I live in Europe

and questions like "Is PA more fun to play with 10 times more members ?" ... What if I don't think it is? You shouldn't use opinion questions tbh.

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2005, 17:40   #23
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold

finally my geography degree comes to the rescue
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote