User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

View Poll Results: How should the free events be layed out?
Ditch the alliance comp, just the free round 56 56.00%
alliance comp then free round 10 10.00%
free round then alliance comp 7 7.00%
longer free round with alliance comp running alongside 26 26.00%
other 1 1.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 5 Jan 2006, 16:11   #51
E.S.B.

E.S.B. is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Free Round vs Alliance Competition

Well, I voted option #1 because I want the round to start earlier and it to be longer. And if PAN doesn't get ready in 7 weeks (5+2 for being earlier) why not make it a full round?
I know this way we wouldn't have an exact date of when the round would end, but PA Crew could announce an extension like 2 weeks before the end of the 7 weeks initial deadline.

Last edited by E.S.B.; 5 Jan 2006 at 16:19.
E.S.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2006, 16:38   #52
rasputini
Love monkey

rasputini is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditch alliance competition (not sure what purpose it would serve, other than as a trainer for newly formed alliances). Longer Free Round FTW \o/

As for concerns about an impact on the schedule of anything else, I'm pretty sure that you can just drag the free round out as long as you need to make sure that PAN is ready (who could possibly have any complaints about this?). Also, not having the alliance competition running on another server opens up all kinds of additional options for PAN beta testing
rasputini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2006, 16:58   #53
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

wakey your point is waiting too long after free round will scare away 'new' players. what about us having to wait for 1.5 months now again ? won't that scare away players? are new players more important then older ones?

basically 90% votes to get rid of the alliance comp or atleast run along side free round. By far most of these want a longer free round as people, so it's quite simple. No matter if the poll is unclear or not we both know that people are not retarded and they know what they are voting for.... They are voting because they want to play planetarion normally, not in some weird setup.

Also as i think kargool said, i have never really seen any major discussion about any alliance competition (and if i have seen it, it surely hasn't made any real impact as i can't remember) so how did this come into play?
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2006, 17:46   #54
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher
wakey your point is waiting too long after free round will scare away 'new' players. what about us having to wait for 1.5 months now again ? won't that scare away players? are new players more important then older ones?
As I said on the other thread about this breaks dont have the same effect on the majority of current players as it does on new players. Most existing players have played for multiple rounds and they have caught the PA bug and will keep checking back waiting for the round to start. However the kind of players that a free round will attract to the game that it wouldnt normally are more suseptable to extended breaks, they are often the casual players whom are more likly to forget about PA. I know personally theres been free games I've played on a casual basis where the breaks gone on too long between rounds and I've simple forgotten about it.

Its this which is dictating my views because a free round is something people have called for round after round and many people see it as a holy grail to PA's growth. If its going to grow it has to be taken full advantage of. At the same time I'm not totally against the free round being started sooner BUT with my alliance HC hat on I just worry that playing two full rounds back to back is going to cause pretty much every alliance in the game some real problems with commander burn out which isnt a situation we want going into a new age of PA which is supposed to take the game forward.

Its why I like Ramihyn's idea of a 5 week round then a free for all havoc period that removes the alliance side and allows everyone to go a bit mad and have some fun while PATeam put the last finsihing touches to the PAN code. It strikes a good balance imho and lets us see which players are the best without having their alliance carry them which is something that would certainly motivate those not in super elite alliances

As for the alliance comp thing, tbh you and Kargool simply havent been paying attention for the last 5 rounds as its cropped up time and time again since alliances were brought in game. This situation actually reminds me of the SMS debcale back in r3/r4. People were all for something so work is started on implementing it and then once its announced people get up in arms and start saying "we didnt know about this". It could be an intresting addition to the game and I really think its worth a try. Although I do think the proposed setup isnt great as it requires too many people per alliance. As I said on the other thread I think in an alliance comp it should be a situation of nominating upto 50 people and then teams of a set size (Im thinking 25) picked from these people for each round.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2006, 21:30   #55
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

still doesn't explain why the free round isn't just made longer and earlier seeing as the alliance comp doesn't really add anything tbh
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2006, 23:37   #56
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher
still doesn't explain why the free round isn't just made longer and earlier seeing as the alliance comp doesn't really add anything tbh
I've explained in a fair amount of detail over the two main posts as to why I feel making the free round longer isnt good if the the free round is going to be fully utalised as a way to increase the playerbase.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2006, 23:44   #57
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

http://www.planetarion.com/news.php <-- important information

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2006, 08:47   #58
Appanouki

Appanouki can only hope to improve

isnt every round an alliance competition?

also, if you are worried about processing power being insufficient to run both at the same time, then just shift one of the game's ticks by half an hour
Appanouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2006, 10:39   #59
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
http://www.planetarion.com/news.php <-- important information

Excellent
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2006, 13:44   #60
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

Must say kudos to PA team. Thanks for taking into account our views, now lets go play PA!