User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 3 Dec 2005, 01:24   #1
KingAlan

KingAlan is a jewel in the roughKingAlan is a jewel in the roughKingAlan is a jewel in the roughKingAlan is a jewel in the rough
Suggestion: Multiple Factories

Right now, having multiple copies of a factory type serves no purpose (except for redundancy if they're destroyed by structure killers or in covert ops). I think that it would be good idea for multiple factories to serve some purpose.

Maybe they could speed up production of the appropriate ship class? Maybe they could lead to a small decrease in ship costs? any other ideas on what multiple factories could do?
Round 13- complete n00b, 13:5:19
[Hidden Agenda member from round 14 on out]
Round 14: 11:7 MoD, final rank 1006
Round 15: 11:9:7, Galactic Commander, final rank 724
Round 16: 4:5:7, GC (The Colt 4-5's), final rank 380
Round 17: [forgot my final result]
Round 19: final rank 233
Round 20: 2:7:15, final rank 222
Round 23: bad end rank, crashed too many times
Round 24: am playing Zik

I provided the name for Round 16, "The End of an Era".
KingAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2005, 19:48   #2
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of
Re: Suggestion: Multiple Factories

It would probably make sense if they speed up production time a bit, I would set a definite limit on how much this would effect things. There is precident here as well, since security centers increase your alert level, and finance centers increase your resource bonus, having factories decrease production times slightly would not be a bad idea.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2005, 13:13   #3
olle
Newdawn ftw \o/

olle is infamous around these partsolle is infamous around these parts

I like the thought of that, KingAlan
Both ides are good, ether speed up production of a ship class or decrease ships cost of a class.

As Monroe mentioned it would probably make more sense if it speed up production time.

The hard part then is to set the line... should 10 light factories speed up production with 1 tick or more? Or are 20 light factories need to speed up a tick for the "light" ship class.
You could set it up like this then... or are more factories needed...
10 Light factories - speed up "light" class ships by 1 tick
20 Light factories - speed up "light" class ships by 2 tick
30 Light factories - speed up "light" class ships by 3 tick
etc. and so for the other classes..
olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2005, 13:29   #4
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Or a more realistic (perhaps) idea is each factory allows so many ships of a certain size to arrive out of production each tick. Eg. xand light factory allows 5,000 fighters to arrive in a tick or something. This way smaller players who lose everything won't suffer that much as their entire fleet may only have been 5,000 FI, whilst a bigger player who loses a lot and then loses structures takes longer to rebuild.

Though I'm not sure this really adds anything to the game, so I'm not going to try pushing this idea or anything, it just seems like something that could be vaguely interesting.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2005, 13:46   #5
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I quite like the original suggestion. Gate - can you imagine how bad that would be for the top players?
Unread 5 Dec 2005, 13:47   #6
olle
Newdawn ftw \o/

olle is infamous around these partsolle is infamous around these parts

oh! I like that idea, Gate <3 Whould hurt the top players indeed.

Atm the factories are just sitting ducks so any of the suggestions are a nice feature/add to the game. Maybe it could even go under a Tech Tree as Core Factory or something, were you get to pick one of these suggestions.
olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2005, 18:07   #7
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Smart, theres certainly more to be done with the existing constructions.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2005, 11:04   #8
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

We could be really evil and make a cap on how many ships you can build and each light,medium,heavy factory allows you to build so many ships only per factory like 20k per light factory 5k per medium 1k per heavy muhahahahahahahahahahahahaha evul.....

or something like that.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.

Last edited by noah02; 6 Dec 2005 at 11:11.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2005, 13:12   #9
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

yes and then it would be impossible for a big player to even spend his res at some point? or saving up? so he can still hit people?

would be so much fun for big guys having less reasons to play again
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2005, 13:17   #10
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher
yes and then it would be impossible for a big player to even spend his res at some point? or saving up? so he can still hit people?

would be so much fun for big guys having less reasons to play again
Thats why its so evul muhahahaha or he could just build more factories and build more ships then :P

Anyways I was joking my young cypher.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2005, 13:39   #11
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
Or a more realistic (perhaps) idea is each factory allows so many ships of a certain size to arrive out of production each tick. Eg. xand light factory allows 5,000 fighters to arrive in a tick or something. This way smaller players who lose everything won't suffer that much as their entire fleet may only have been 5,000 FI, whilst a bigger player who loses a lot and then loses structures takes longer to rebuild.

Though I'm not sure this really adds anything to the game, so I'm not going to try pushing this idea or anything, it just seems like something that could be vaguely interesting.
Damn that is a good idea, it would certainly mean that the bigger players would need to protect there factorys, and that inturn would mean SK's would be come a lot more useful to alliances and less so to alliances attacking single players (i.e noobs).

I vote for this!!

[edit]
I'm guessing that its based on resource for the ship type. So you could only spend 10000k res per factory.
But then a problem would occur, the cost of building the next factory goes each time, and there is only a limited number of factorys you can build in the end.
[/edit]

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx

Last edited by MrLobster; 6 Dec 2005 at 13:47.
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2005, 14:36   #12
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Maybe dont use factories at all, but simply make it storehouses/banks. If you have more , you can save more resources. Big players will have to choose between saving a lot or building fin centres, etc.
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2005, 15:22   #13
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Conceptually I am against a limited cap on how many ships a player could build at a time. Or at least by the time they build 15 or 20 of a factory they can build enough ships that even late in the round the large players shouldn't have any problem building the ships they want. The comment about SKs concerns me because having a lot of SKs in the universe will lead to small non-allied players loosing most of their structures even if the main focus of SKs is on killing ally members, because invariably people are too lazy to send their SKs only on ally attacks.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2005, 20:30   #14
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the idea of increasing production capacity when having more factories. This doesn't necessarily have to be linear (each extra factory giving a fixed amount of extra production capacity), but it can also be exponential.

To prevent structure killers being used on noobs just make SKs die when they are being used.

Edit: How about making the amount of ships you can produce with a certain type of factory race-specific?
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2005, 04:54   #15
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

The fact that SK cost a lot now is surely influential. My fleet sucks so I cant afford to waste res on SK.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote