User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 28 Oct 2005, 12:00   #1
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute
vnc

Is there any way of scanning for open VNC ports and deny login from those computers? or at least log that information?
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 12:11   #2
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: vnc

There is a way afiak, but there are many "proper" uses for VNC.

For example, many universties let people use VNC to access "campus only" sites, in my university many parts of their site is accessable only to ncl.ac.uk (newcastle) domains, so I must use VNC to connect to the network to be able to access things like the past exam paper site or some lecturerers home pages

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 13:03   #3
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

I don't think we can EVER deny login from IPs who have VNC open. For a start, it would block me from accessing the game and I tend to need to be able to login to get at the admin tools!

And besides, if we chose to do that, I'd just keep my VNC port on some sort of cycle. There's no way Planetarion can do an entire port scan on a computer before it allows a login. Not only because of the time it takes for TCP connections to reliably fail but also because you'd have to test the protocol being hosted on each port that is open.
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 14:11   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

erm , last i knew the pa server used ssh for admin logins to the server
unless ofc you mean remoting your home computer to use the web interface while you are at work

as for scanning for it, there isnt a reliable way of testing for it, since in addition to the points made above, it can be configured to listen to a small range of addesses for it also.
there is ( in theory ) a way to prevent it from being able to be used to login to an account though.
if you had something which 'flickered' parts of the bot stopper fast enough, so that all of the parts for it were never on screen, but flickered fast enough so that it appeared solid to humans ( 30fps+ for each piece ) , then vnc would only capture a part of the bot stopper question and not the whole thing.

it shouldnt be policy, imo that "vnc will never be blocked because some admins use it themselves".
(edit : admins can surely edit the login routine so they dont have the bot stopper or at least one which wont affect vnc logins )
it can, and often is used for cheating ( along with other methods too ) and anything which will curb the use of it for this purpose is always good.

Last edited by Phil^; 28 Oct 2005 at 15:36.
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 14:30   #5
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
if you had something which 'flickered' parts of the bot stopper fast enough, so that all of the parts for it were never on screen, but flickered fast enough so that it appeared solid to humans ( 30fps+ for each piece ) , then vnc would only capture a part of the bot stopper question and not the whole thing.
If that is reasonable easy to setup, it could actually be a very good way to combat VNC logins.

Please look at it

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 14:33   #6
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

i tried to bash people into doing so in my time in pateam , even coded a rough prototype as a java applet but from what im aware, its been abandoned as an idea by the current administration ( or at least put on the backburner so that other fixes to pa get priority )
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 15:27   #7
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

Now that the LZW patents have expired, GD has re-enabled thier GIF support. I'll look into making the server create fast animated gifs as you described, Phil.
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 15:31   #8
Phil^
Insomniac

or it could be a flash anim which takes image segments as parameters?
i know that flash can manage silly fps rates, having experimented with it for a uni assignment

There should also be a time limit for a user to log in, say 30 seconds or less so that should reduce the risk of someone sitting with vnc, watching the bot stopper in the off chance that all segments appear ( even if not all at once ) so they can answer

the java applet ( code which should be with kal but can email if needed ) is a bit flickery, probably due to java limitations as an applet, and the way its done but thats also available if you want it

Last edited by Phil^; 28 Oct 2005 at 15:38.
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 16:10   #9
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
or it could be a flash anim which takes image segments as parameters?
i know that flash can manage silly fps rates, having experimented with it for a uni assignment

There should also be a time limit for a user to log in, say 30 seconds or less so that should reduce the risk of someone sitting with vnc, watching the bot stopper in the off chance that all segments appear ( even if not all at once ) so they can answer

the java applet ( code which should be with kal but can email if needed ) is a bit flickery, probably due to java limitations as an applet, and the way its done but thats also available if you want it
the java aplet was nice - but it would involve people haveing to have java installed - which is somehting we don;t want to do - i think experimenting with animated gifs is the way forward

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 16:36   #10
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

would that still properly show on my laptop from 1995? i know i can't play the simplest of movies on that.... but if not it would mean i can't play pa at nights any more either... which can't be the idea.

my laptop can just manage irc and IE
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2005, 19:32   #11
Pietje

Pietje is on a distinguished road

so we give this game a minimum sys req as all other games have
Pietje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2005, 19:52   #12
Phil^
Insomniac

it already has a minimum system requirement
"a web browser" , ie5+ iirc
Unread 30 Oct 2005, 20:29   #13
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
it already has a minimum system requirement
"a web browser" , ie5+ iirc
More likely a "html, css and javascript supporting Browser".
Unread 31 Oct 2005, 01:08   #14
Pietje

Pietje is on a distinguished road

id call that software
i was talking hardware wise

oh and for the guy neg repping me:
im not complaining you moron. lucky u didnt put your name in it too coward

Last edited by Pietje; 31 Oct 2005 at 01:16.
Pietje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Nov 2005, 03:48   #15
Leinad
DrFlame

Leinad is on a distinguished road

even if u would find a solution, there are plenty of other programms and ways out there to achive the same as with vnc which wont be stopped by the security measures described above.
Things like vnc are simply a point where the cheat hunting gets impossible.
Thats why i often suggested (also in a lot of other games) that u rather take the advantage away of having additional online time and give ppl more options to manage their account.
I know especially active ppl dont like those suggestions. I consider myself also 24/7 active but im also realistic and having more time than others or the ability to be online isnt for me something that has to be rewarded.
If games like this want to survive they need to force the player to think more and show more teamplay instead of forcing ppl to stay up at weird times.
Leinad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Nov 2005, 04:59   #16
jian_yee
PGLee

jian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
erm , last i knew the pa server used ssh for admin logins to the server
unless ofc you mean remoting your home computer to use the web interface while you are at work

as for scanning for it, there isnt a reliable way of testing for it, since in addition to the points made above, it can be configured to listen to a small range of addesses for it also.
there is ( in theory ) a way to prevent it from being able to be used to login to an account though.

it shouldnt be policy, imo that "vnc will never be blocked because some admins use it themselves".
(edit : admins can surely edit the login routine so they dont have the bot stopper or at least one which wont affect vnc logins )
it can, and often is used for cheating ( along with other methods too ) and anything which will curb the use of it for this purpose is always good.

but i could use remote desktop and i can still see it fast enuf..
Unread 1 Nov 2005, 05:15   #17
Phil^
Insomniac

try remote desktoping another computer and watching a movie
if its jerky, it wont be :P
Unread 1 Nov 2005, 13:00   #18
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

Stopping VNC might nto stop cheating entiarly but its a step in the right direction.
Unread 6 Nov 2005, 14:48   #19
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
More likely a "html, css and javascript supporting Browser".
is there anything that will actually prevent you from using PA if your browser doesn't support css and javascript? as far as i am aware, those are only making it look a little better (depending on personal point of view ofc ).

so actually it's html and image display capable browser, and images only for bot stopper either. correct me if i'm wrong.
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2005, 19:30   #20
eVil
the lite shine brite

eVil is a splendid one to beholdeVil is a splendid one to beholdeVil is a splendid one to beholdeVil is a splendid one to beholdeVil is a splendid one to beholdeVil is a splendid one to beholdeVil is a splendid one to behold

personally vnc shud be ilegal

Last edited by eVil; 6 Nov 2005 at 22:05.
eVil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2005, 21:47   #21
Phil^
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVil
personally vnc shud be legal
and thereby, you forefit any credibility you had, which given your gimmick-like posts, isnt very much.
Mods, kindly look into whos gimmick this is, and ban it pls?
Unread 6 Nov 2005, 22:05   #22
eVil
the lite shine brite

eVil is a splendid one to beholdeVil is a splendid one to beholdeVil is a splendid one to beholdeVil is a splendid one to beholdeVil is a splendid one to beholdeVil is a splendid one to beholdeVil is a splendid one to behold

more of my typo sorry.

it shud be illegal. but how is makin vnc illegal possible? i dont know much on computers but i hear it hard to stop vnc.

pos rep for you phil!
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 00:36   #23
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Every time you speak, God kills a kitten.
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 01:02   #24
eVil
the lite shine brite

i prefer dog anyway
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 05:49   #25
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious
is there anything that will actually prevent you from using PA if your browser doesn't support css and javascript? as far as i am aware, those are only making it look a little better (depending on personal point of view ofc ).

so actually it's html and image display capable browser, and images only for bot stopper either. correct me if i'm wrong.

i think the javascript is needed not for the login but for fleets page

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 06:08   #26
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorsdown
i think the javascript is needed not for the login but for fleets page
But fleets still has those pulldown menus that i use (yes, i am old skool) - unless the lack of java would prevent the whole page from displaying...
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 06:16   #27
Doorsdown

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

the whole things java script

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 11:14   #28
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorsdown
the whole things java script
no it's not. fleet composition works without JS if you use the "classic" interface with the pulldown menus.
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 11:48   #29
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

well ppl who needs to cheat in a onlinegame is kinda weak persons, i pity them
robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2005, 18:39   #30
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

why not say that the game may require JS, flash, media playing, whatever and then only enable checking on dubious accounts. you've only got to catch them at it once...

that said, did you start port scanning people when they access the login page yet?

of course, it's just as easy to install a web proxy as it is vnc, so all of these solutions will only mean you catch the more inept cheaters.

-mist
Unread 9 Nov 2005, 18:54   #31
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVil

pos rep for you phil!
Quite possibly the dirtiest pos-rep you've ever received eh Phil? My sympathies.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2005, 21:54   #32
Doorsdown

Quote:
no it's not. fleet composition works without JS if you use the "classic" interface with the pulldown menus.
your right i read it wrong when i looking at the html

i thought i saw javascript void(0) in the drop downs too

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Unread 9 Nov 2005, 22:21   #33
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:

you are right for the current game..

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote