User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 28 Oct 2006, 21:03   #1
Jakass
Barely Legal

Jakass can only hope to improve
PSP and DS

I was just wandering: I have been on this Forum and entered a discussion about the PSP and the DS. I said that the PSP is better as it can play games with incredible graphics, access internet, play movies, store music, movies and games on the memory card whereas the DS just plays typical Nintendo games (Mario type games). After saying this everyone gave me a complete slating saying that I didn't know what I was talking about. I have both a DS and PSP and I think PSP is better. What do you guys think?
Unread 28 Oct 2006, 21:24   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: PSP and DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakass
the PSP is better as it can play games with incredible graphics, access internet, play movies, store music, movies and games on the memory card
Do you use your PSP to access the internet very often? Or play music / movies?

As always it depends what you want your platform to do. I don't want my phone to be able to play MP3s (I have an iPod for that) so I'm not terribly bothered that it can't. Overall, of the limited numbers of people I know who own either platform, people seem to use their DS more often. The fact their PSP can do more is irrelevant for many of them because they're not looking for replacement walkmans/PDAs/etc.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2006, 22:26   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I reject the whole "games on the go" paradigm.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2006, 22:33   #4
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

i dont ... trains.... airports ... thank the lord for my GBA SP.

and u say DS .. but DS lite seems to be better
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2006, 23:09   #5
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Who ****ing cares. They're both rather different anyway and both aiming at a different audience.

I stopped buying handhelds after the GB Advance as they always end up in the closet after a week of intense usage.
Unread 29 Oct 2006, 01:38   #6
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

also the DS can go online now too, and it uses opera, so it's got a better web browser than most peoples computers.
Unread 29 Oct 2006, 02:22   #7
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

The DS has much better games (who wants to pay another £30 for a game they've already played on the PS2), can go online and can also play music and videos with the help of the Opera Browser and Play-Yan. Also the sales figures speak for themselves really, the DS has outsold the PSP in every region
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2006, 20:18   #8
Jakass
Barely Legal

Jakass can only hope to improve

I think the PSP has the potential to be something greater if there were more games made for soley for it. The DS games aren't as good, but there are a wider selection and they are cheaper.
Unread 30 Oct 2006, 21:04   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Hardly, it's just a mobile version of what we have already. The DS is unique.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2006, 14:18   #10
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

As someone who doesnt own a PS2, I find the PSP is pretty cool.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2006, 14:44   #11
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I bought a PSP and I rarely touch it. The problem with any kind of mobile gaming is the only place you can really use it is an an aeroplane or in your house. If you were sitting on a bus or train with one out not only would you look a total spastic but you'd more than likely end up getting mugged.

The extra features on the PSP such as Internet access, playing films and music all seem fairly redundant. The Internet access is clunky and only really useful at home where I already have the Internet and if I want to listen to music on the move I have an iPod which is far more discrete, less bulky and has a better interface. I can't really say I ever want to watch films on the move but if I did again I could use my iPod.

The main purpose of a PSP for me was to play games and have fun so far the PSP has had very few fun titles that I couldn't have got elsewhere. All in all my PSP has been a waste of money, I wish that I'd bought a DS, at least it has some unique games and an innovative approach rather than as Jakiri said a mobile version of what people already have. I think this is why I'll end up getting a Wii over a PS3.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 03:16   #12
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

DS wins hands down.

The Nintendo DS was a surprise hit in all honestly. When it first came out, the retailers took it as a breath of fresh air in the early year drought but it was believed to just be a 'filler'- to be abit of a joke. The PSP from Sony was supposed to kill it and who could argue about it? The PSP was PS2 level graphics almost compated to the DS PSX level and had with the Sony brandname was bound to have big developer backing - plus it could play movies and music too. Now look at things...

What went wrong for the PSP?

To put it in a nutshell - the games. On average a PSP game is more expensive than a DS game and that's saying something. DS games are notorious for remaining at a £30 price tag for a long time. It's been nearly a year and yet Nintendogs is still the same price as when it came out.

The PSP games are all mostly ports of a PS2 version of the game and most are shoddy at best - better to own on the PS2 rather than PSP. The analogue stick which was thought to be good at first is just clunky as hell and whilst Tekken is one of the best PSP games in existance, it's controls are awkward. Locoroco was a great little quirky game - and if it had come out for the Nintendo DS it would have enjoyed great sales, but on the PSP it seemed to fall abit flat. I thought about getting it myself but then realized I'd probably only be selling it later on when I got rid of my PSP.

The extra media options on the PSP have proven to be worthless - just like why Nintendo arent putting DVD with the Wii. People -already- have an ipod for their music and the film ideal was just laughable. Noone wanted to buy their films in a different format and so UMD has failed. With the failure of UMD, that's one feature out the window for PSP straight off.

Sony's reluctance to aggressively push the PSP against the DS is another reason. -Why- oh -why- remove the Value and Giga packs and replace with a 'base' pack for the Sep-Nov months before Xmas. It beggers belief as Ive gotten customers are get turned off by having to purchase a memory stick to then take advantage of the different functions on a PSP. Whilst the memory stick in the Value pack was utterly pants, it meant those parents buying a PSP for little Johnny could be content with that pants size memory stick for just playing games.

So for a 'media device' - it sure as hell doesn't seem to sell like one. The interest I see in the PSP is for games, and so it really needs more AAA titles to keep the platform afloat.

Lastly, the battery life is pretty bad on the PSP when compared to the DS or even GBA SP. (You'd be surprised at how well interest in the GBA SP is still quite considerable)

The DS is cheaper, can save without extra purchase and simply has better games. It may not be as powerful as the PSP, but as that's proven - power doesnt equal good games.

Sony really need to get better PSP games out there - their blunder in releasing GTA Liberty City Stories for the PS2 just shows that 'exclusive' means very little, so GTA Vice City stories probably isn't going to sell as many PSP's as Sony would like. In all honesty, I don't see why kids want a PSP over a DS right now - and when asked, I'd simply refer them to the catalogue of games for both systems. Majortity of the time, that equals a DS as being the right purchase (I cringe when parents want to buy a PSP for their 6-7 year old - like wtf).

Personally a PSP seems to be for the older more mature person (18+ I really wouldnt recommend it for less) as kids simply arent going to use it for the other features.

PS: As for the Pink PS2 and Pink PSP. I think Sony have totally missed the point to why Nintendo has raped them. It wasn't just the colour - but the game of Nintendogs itself. Brain Training on the DS was something for the adults - all aprt of Nintendos tactic in a newer generation of games for all kinds of people. Sony came up with 'Passport' which frankly I cant remember selling even ONE of them things. Why release a pink console when youve got absoloutely zero games to offer for girls really? Bar for perhaps Sims 2 which is already on so many other platforms at a cheaper price.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony

Last edited by Zh|l; 4 Nov 2006 at 03:22.
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 16:59   #13
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Echoing Mr Jakiri are these portable things fulfilling?!? the games you can play on them are pretty crap (from my pov) the games i 'like' require a keyboard and mouse and some extended input. A directional control and four buttons just doesn't allow you to do much without becoming cumbersome.
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 18:06   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Personally I like the DS more.

The PSP has some major problems. Firstly, it's more of a fashion item than a console, and needs to be treated as such (the oh-so-delicate screen and bloody fingerprints all over the fancy black gloss finish). UMD is shit; it's fallen flatter than a cardboard cutout. Web browsing on something like that is terrible and fiddly. This goes for phones and the DS too, although to a lesser extent. The battery life isn't exactly stunning.
But...
...most importantly...
...there's nothing new there whatsoever.
Sony just found a way to squeeze a PS1-and-a-half into portable form and immediately rejoiced because they could resell their entire back-catalogue to the hoards of swooning Sony fans, who are nearly as bad as Mac "supporters" when it comes to consoles.

The DS is somewhat different. It's not trying to be super-fashionable. It's innovative. While web browsing on it is still shit, it's not AS shit because you can type on one screen and view on the other. There's still a certain amount of back-catalogue reselling going on, but Nintendo and other developers have tried hard to come up with new games and concepts to go hand in hand with the touchscreen, and have managed to get it right with a fair few of them. So what if the graphics aren't as shiney. Graphics don't make a game. GAMEPLAY makes a game, funnily enough.

Now.
I should point out that I don't own either of these handhelds. However, I've used both of them a fair bit, and these are the opinions I've formed from that.

Incidentally, the same is true of the PS3 and Wii to some extent.
The Wii is massively underpowered compared to the PS3. However, Nintendo have once again been innovative, and it looks like paying off.
For starters, Sony panicked and copied the idea of tilt sensors in the controller which is a pretty good indication that Nintendo is on to a winner with that. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that.