User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 1 Feb 2007, 06:11   #1
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Sea Launch failure

The hesitancy in her voice at 'go interti...er..al' is brilliant. SL cut the feed. Whats really surprising is that sea launch/boeing haven't properly commented on this and its been over 24 hrs! they put out a press release saying there was an 'anomaly during launch' but thats it. Theres speculation the entire thing has sunk and there may even be some damage to the commandship (im skeptcal about that). I think the inherent flaw with a sea borne launch rig, if you fail you lose everything has pretty much come true. They kept this that quiet that only the space-oriented press have really commented on it, even the bbc hasn't reported it despite reporting on its history/operations. Its a pretty fcking big write-off.
Unread 1 Feb 2007, 09:57   #2
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of
Re: Sea Launch failure

well that puts some planetarion round starts to shame :-)

i would suspect they have to talk to some families b4 releasing any details ( the sealaunch website picture makes it look like it wasnt an unmanned thing).. and study some data b4 they can say what went wrong.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2007, 11:58   #3
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Poor norwegian company and my poor stocks in said norwegian company

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2007, 15:34   #4
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith
i would suspect they have to talk to some families b4 releasing any details ( the sealaunch website picture makes it look like it wasnt an unmanned thing)..
There's a story on The Register that says it had a Dutch communications satellite on board, so no families thankfully.
Unread 1 Feb 2007, 15:46   #5
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
well that puts some planetarion round starts to shame :-)

i would suspect they have to talk to some families b4 releasing any details ( the sealaunch website picture makes it look like it wasnt an unmanned thing).. and study some data b4 they can say what went wrong.
The website claims there was no fatalities which is apparently because the launch pad is evacuated during the launch process.
Unread 1 Feb 2007, 15:58   #6
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
The website claims there was no fatalities which is apparently because the launch pad is evacuated during the launch process.
Prob just for this reason. Thats good news though.
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2007, 16:00   #7
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

wow... that is some ****ed up shit...

sure as hell they would want a "rollback"

gladly noone died \o/ and it sure as hell looks like its back to the drawing board trying to figgure out wtf they did wrong...

(BTW... WHY would someone launch from sea, rather then from the ground... seems... redundand if anything. Waste of time, money, and scientific talent)
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2007, 16:14   #8
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

potassium rocket? what?
Unread 1 Feb 2007, 16:16   #9
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighteh

(BTW... WHY would someone launch from sea, rather then from the ground... seems... redundand if anything. Waste of time, money, and scientific talent)
a good explantion to that is if you launch something into space from the equator its going to be a hella lot cheaper than lauching it from higher latitudes (hello northern europe), so if you can master such technique, you can send a ship in equatorian international waters and make some nice old profit
Unread 1 Feb 2007, 16:29   #10
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
a good explantion to that is if you launch something into space from the equator its going to be a hella lot cheaper than lauching it from higher latitudes (hello northern europe), so if you can master such technique, you can send a ship in equatorian international waters and make some nice old profit

yeah, i never really understood that fully... at least recently.
been too long since i been to school...
only thing i remember is that only thing that u need to reach an orbit is constant acceleration of (i believe) greater then ~9km/s (or do u just have to REACH that velocity ? dont remember. Oh, and that the earth is round... so i fail to see advantages of the equator over anything else. (mabbe i am a fool afterall ) Unless there is a factor of gravity affecting accelerating rocket differently on equator then on higher or lower altitudes... wich would make little sence untill really described. I did notice that most cosmodromes are as close to equator as the country can put it, So there just has to be something behind it. i just fail to see it .

they dont use "Rocket Sience" to describe something complex for no reason :/
See alot up there
But dont be scared
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
Unread 1 Feb 2007, 16:40   #11
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

The scape velocity is 11km/s which means that after youve gotten into orbit, the only way you can get out of orbit ( which is something you dont want to to if you are to be a sattelite) is to, while circling the earth, increase your speed to above 11km/s. slowly you are going to move to higher orbits and so on and so forth.

The thing about sending things from the equator is that you use the angular speed which is higher in the equator, because it is a lot farther from the axis.

Try to think of what kind of force does a pebble attached to a string does when it is revolving at 1 hertz in a 2cm string and 1hz in a 2m string. Of course the speed is going to have to be a lot more when revolving in a 2m string, because the 'path' the pebble is going to have to go is a lot bigger
Unread 1 Feb 2007, 16:43   #12
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

but its just determined by the direction you go.
I am sure that there is a scientific reason to that. but What would prevent you from launching from north pole and going straight south, hence having same angular velocity as on equator ?
See alot up there
But dont be scared
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
Unread 1 Feb 2007, 16:56   #13
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Wikipedia tends to give a decent explanation for most things.
Unread 1 Feb 2007, 17:35   #14
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

ah, now i get it. i overlooked "Earth's rotational velocity"

I move to abandon conversation about Rocket Sience due to it being a complicated matter to discuss overall. And due to my own, and probably most people's lack of information about the issue.

thats a great wiki article. It reminded me of einsteinian theories for global gravity rules.
See alot up there
But dont be scared
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
Unread 1 Feb 2007, 19:40   #15
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Nice to know no-one was on board !

Mobile launch pads are nothing new, for satelites eqautor launches are better .. i can see that.

For War scenarion sealaunch as a floating platform .. ie moving .. if given stealth outer shell would be a rather hard target to find.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2007, 11:04   #16
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Apparently it hasn't sunk, though it is damaged. Anyhoo someone linked me to this; the russians like to be close to the action at launch! The rocket is 50m in length, so they're what 150-200m away!!
Unread 2 Feb 2007, 16:30   #17
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
For War scenarion sealaunch as a floating platform .. ie moving .. if given stealth outer shell would be a rather hard target to find.
That's what nuclear submarines are for
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2007, 16:45   #18
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
There's these things called satellites you seem to have forgotten about
Unread 2 Feb 2007, 17:18   #19
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
There's these things called satellites you seem to have forgotten about
Not to mention aircraft, and depending on weather conditions, any boat that comes within 2 miles of it
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2007, 17:21   #20
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

and sonars, and AEGIS, and god knows what other serret ****ing weapons...

I know US got laser guided missles that are designed to intercept other missles...

no space programm for Iran
See alot up there
But dont be scared
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg