User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Feb 2004, 13:52   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Excel help

I need a bit of help with MS Excel. I'm now making my planning in Excel but I can't figure out how to perform a subtraction on a whole row and display it in another row.

Each row is a task. Column C holds the planned hours, column D holds the actual hours worked on a task. Now, I want column E to show the difference between column C and D and this difference has to be summed in the totals row. How do I get my difference in column E without having to enter the formula manually at each row?

TY!
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 13:55   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Excel help

Can you just sum each row/column in the end formula?

So =SUM(B2:B8)-SUM(A2:A8) or something like that?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 14:05   #3
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Do one row:

E1=C1-D1

Then hold the cursor over the cell, and move it to the little black square in the bottom right of it. You should get a little cross there. Click and drag down the E column. It'll do it all for you.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 14:07   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

@Dante

That'd give me the difference between the planned hours and the actual hours worked. That's not what I want. I want the difference between the planned hours and the actual hours where the task already has been started/completed. A started/completed task can be identified by a value larger than 0 filled in in Culumn D.
But that's not really the issue. Generally what I can't figure out is how to perform an operation on two culumns without having to copy the formula in every field. If I can get that to work I can figure out the rest.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 14:12   #5
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

What Tomkat said.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 14:13   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Do one row:

E1=C1-D1

Then hold the cursor over the cell, and move it to the little black square in the bottom right of it. You should get a little cross there. Click and drag down the E column. It'll do it all for you.
OK, that's getting very close... but it would really be awesome if I could also do "insert row" somewhere and the formula would be automatically copied
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 14:29   #7
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

Not sure its possible. You might be able to set up a vba trigger (again not sure if there is a OnInsertRow event or something like that.)
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 14:33   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Nah, I don't intend to program Excel macros. If it isn't possible with standard click and drag stuff then nevermind.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 14:56   #9
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

=(SUMIF(D1:D500,"> 0",C1:C500))-(SUMIF(D1:D500,">0",D1:D500))
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 14:59   #10
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

that is assuming you have no more than 500 rows
you can easily change the 500 to read 1000 or more if you need to

this will show the total time planned minus the total time taken where a time taken has been entered
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 19:47   #11
Caesar2
Commander

Caesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
OK, that's getting very close... but it would really be awesome if I could also do "insert row" somewhere and the formula would be automatically copied
Select a row, Copy, Insert copied cells?

You were just "bashed", live with it.
Caesar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 19:55   #12
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

AutoFill?
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:47   #13
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by madi
that is assuming you have no more than 500 rows
you can easily change the 500 to read 1000 or more if you need to

this will show the total time planned minus the total time taken where a time taken has been entered
\o/

In combination with Tomcats suggestion I think I got what I want now.

Caesar2: I'm a lazy bastard. Every click I have to make for updating the planning is one too much.

Intrepid, how do I do autofill?
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:50   #14
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think the technical name for what I told you is "autofill".

IT'S TomKat too. Grawr.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:50   #15
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Edit=>Fill Down/Fill-Right

Although that's pretty much the same as the whole dragging the corner thingie.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:55   #16
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

oh.... OK
TomKat and Dante
Unread 11 Feb 2004, 00:14   #17
madi
a little bit broken

sorry
i thought you wanted to display the total over all in a single cell
*sigh*
Unread 11 Feb 2004, 19:24   #18
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

You pointed me with my nose on the SUMIF and IF functions madi. Those are quit handy.
I'm beginning to like Excel even. It's quite handy. But if it could create the bar diagram belonging to the planning automatically I'd be totally in love with it

http://www.structweb.com/workfolder/planningtable.xls
Unread 11 Feb 2004, 19:33   #19
Dante Hicks
Clerk

I actually like Excel, although it's misused horribly in the business world.

Half the spreadsheets we use at work (and we literally thousands of different ones) would be infinitely better managed in a proper db setup.