User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Dec 2003, 14:29   #1
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future
My Documents

I have a standalone machine with Windows XP Professional.

I have "My Documents" pointing to
Code:
\\server-01\users
for all the workstations except for one machine, it has decided to point to
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings....
etc

Now how do I change the path?

Its not as easy as Windows 2000 (going to properties and changing the target)

Its a little bit more complex it seems.

So how do I change the path?

Thank you

<Bobzy> Minty, you have a line for everything
<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Ice-Lady> minty is a odd boy
<Game> Minty rocks
<Queen> no minty..cos u rock
<HobbieRogue4> Minty, you stone!
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2003, 14:40   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: My Documents

TweakUI will do it. It can redirect all special folders too.

Edit:
Also, on my machine right-clicking the My Documents shortcut on the desktop and doing properties gives me a shiny place to type in where I want it to point, what're you getting?
Unread 2 Dec 2003, 14:53   #3
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
TweakUI will do it. It can redirect all special folders too.

Edit:
Also, on my machine right-clicking the My Documents shortcut on the desktop and doing properties gives me a shiny place to type in where I want it to point, what're you getting?

I get

http://www.mean-jeans.com/mydocs.jpg

I don't partically want to use the TweakUI, but I will if it is my last resort

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks
Unread 2 Dec 2003, 15:06   #4
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

That looks like a local security policy is in effect, preventing the local user account from making such changes (Assuming this is definately a Workgroup only environment). Is the user logged on at the moment presumably a basic user with no admin/power user priviledges?
Unread 2 Dec 2003, 15:11   #5
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Is dan.blowers an administrative account?

If not, give it admin privileges, change the shortcut then revoke the privileges.

Perhaps I'm not understanding the problem correctly; do you want the standalone machine to point to the local folder as opposed to a server one that doesn't exist, or is it a machine that's part of a domain that you want to point to a local folder or what =( Because if it is it sounds like a group policy thing.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CjC
That looks like a local security policy is in effect, preventing the local user account from making such changes (Assuming this is definately a Workgroup only environment). Is the user logged on at the moment presumably a basic user with no admin/power user priviledges?
I'd have said what he said sooner but I was busy =(
Unread 2 Dec 2003, 17:43   #6
Minty
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
Is dan.blowers an administrative account?
It is yes, but that is not the account i am experenicing problems with, its a non-admin one.

Quote:
.....or is it a machine that's part of a domain that you want to point to a local folder or what =(
Correct

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks
Unread 2 Dec 2003, 17:50   #7
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Use the Group Policy Luke, Use the Group Policy.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2003, 18:20   #8
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Yeah if it's on a domain use the force.

I mean group policy.
Unread 3 Dec 2003, 13:54   #9
Minty
Who?

Ok guys

You're gonna slap me

I have searched locally and on the server for the Group Policies

Administrative Tools, Active Directory etc

Someone help

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks
Unread 3 Dec 2003, 15:14   #10
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of

start, run, poledit.exe
no? maybe that last worked in w98ish days...
Unread 3 Dec 2003, 15:24   #11
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...edirectOne.htm shows how to redirect folders using GP in 2000 server
Unread 3 Dec 2003, 18:33   #12
Minty
Who?

cheers guys

I don't know what i did but fiddling around sure has seemed to of fixed the problem.

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks