User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 Oct 2003, 12:29   #1
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Installing IIS on XP Pro

So, I go to install IIS, this is after I've installed XP Pro and SP1 along with all the current hotfixes.

I get told to insert the XP CD, which I do

I then get told that default.asp cant be found on the CD, so I go searching for it.

Lo and behold no sign of the file on the disk (or in the cab files or simply default.as_ )

So I decide to skip that one. Not too bothered about default ASP pages because Im building a new web anyway.

Then it starts asking me for .dll files that are not on the CD either. At this stage the setup cannot continue because the .dll files cant be installed.

Why is it asking me for files when clearly these files are missing from the CD or called something different?

Any ideas what I could do next?

I cannot install Apache or Linux for the purpose of this website.
Unread 21 Oct 2003, 12:39   #2
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Installing IIS on XP Pro

I know XP homo doesnt have IIS. I won't ask the stupid question so I will suggest that you either hassle your supplier or either download XP from somewhere naughty

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2003, 12:42   #3
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

On my copy of XP Pro the default.as_ file is in the i386 folder along with iis.cab and a couple more files that seem relevant.

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 21 Oct 2003, 12:42   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Is this 'a legitimate CD of Windows XP' or what.
Unread 21 Oct 2003, 13:09   #5
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

This is on an MS Volume Licensing CD (ie the media but no key). It was purchased by my Company Legitimate from MS themselves (or at least a reseller - Its got the Hologram and everything). It was also installed legitimatly with a real Key etc. for my Company Laptop.

The same CD was used to install XP initially.
Unread 21 Oct 2003, 13:12   #6
CjC
Throwing Shapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaio
On my copy of XP Pro the default.as_ file is in the i386 folder along with iis.cab and a couple more files that seem relevant.

Vaio
Searched for the Files on the CD not there
Unread 21 Oct 2003, 13:15   #7
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

your f'ked then

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 21 Oct 2003, 13:16   #8
CjC
Throwing Shapes

Quote:
can you do a search on the cd for iis.* files ?

Vaio
I can find an IIS6.cab file, but it does not contain a default.asp file, and also the windows installer browser wont let me choose cab files in place of the asp file.
Unread 21 Oct 2003, 13:17   #9
CjC
Throwing Shapes

Quote:
your f'ked then

Vaio
Obviously. Seems strange that a non OEM or Retail copy of XP doesnt have the correct files required to install IIS after initial install. Mind you this is Microsoft we are talking about.....
Unread 21 Oct 2003, 13:24   #10
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

They probably work on the 'why would a normal user need iis' principle.

The CD's HP supply to me all have it as does my upgrade copy

I wonder what else is missing.

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 26 Oct 2003, 12:59   #11
CjC
Throwing Shapes

It would appear that this problem only occurs if you install SP1, so my advice is anyone needing IIS on XP install Before applying SP1a, infact I suggest installing all the windows apps you need, seems the service pack install might be flawed.
Unread 1 Nov 2003, 20:18   #12
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

I'd still install apache