User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:21   #251
CBA
Mind-boggling

CBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these parts
Re: R31 rumour thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_posi View Post
if you werent so retarded and actually knew what you were talking about, i might've actually given this a decent response. but since you are just talking/typing out of your ass, i'll just leave this one up to public opinion!

besides, why are you questioning my alliance standards? how many alliances have you played for in the past three rounds? and out of those three, how many were you kicked from?
Ok be rude as usual. When you wake up on the right side of the bed, come back to me!

Where have I been kicked from?

Last round I was DLR, Round before I was ASS and Ascendancy. Dont recall a legitmate kick in an actual round.

R21-Randy Dandys Winners R21
1:9:5 -SoClose- -YetSoFar-

You have pending friend requests from Newt.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:22   #252
VenoX

VenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant future

Quote:
so youre saying anyone that is ascendancy is ascendancy because they're too scared to play anywhere else? or was this a direct comment
No, anyone who has played against them actively and then ship jumped to join them once it's clear they are the best alliance, especially midround. Pretty much anyone who didn't join Ascendancy because thats where their friends are.

Quote:
i play in asc because i dont want to be an a alliance with defence points and a member/officer/HC architecture, which was the main reason i left where i was previously for where i am now. but yeah if you want to think im here because im a coward or w/e thats cool too i guess lol
See above, nice attempted bullshit though, I guess they haven't quite taught you well enough, that goes for your attempted flaming/insulting in this thread aswell, leave it to the pro's.

Quote:
who is everyone else? you?
The people you called whiners and think are shit - everyone not in Ascendancy.
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:26   #253
stay_posi
optimist

stay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenoX View Post
No, anyone who has played against them actively and then ship jumped to join them once it's clear they are the best alliance, especially midround.
so i guess you didnt actually read the part where i told you why i came here

Quote:
See above, nice attempted bullshit though
oh you did, you just blew it off as "bullshit." cool

Quote:
Your attempts to be e-cool have been noted and laughed off as terrible.
stay_posi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:29   #254
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

As much as this discussion about posi is great it's hideously offtopic, personal and part of a hideous ad hominem that I don't really care for. So it stops there.
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:31   #255
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA View Post
Wrong. If Ascendancy are hit from t72 by multiple alliances, they cant do anything about it.
Asc isnt dumb, all they need to do is hit the strongest alliance over and over, then that alliance will fold out of the block as they are losing ground to other alliances in the block (and have 0 chance of winning).

If everyone hits Asc from the beginning, it doesnt stop Asc from hitting an alliance back.. thats what the majority of HC's are afraid of and why blocks fail.

To put it in terms of next round.. If Asc simply targetted ND in the block.. after 1 week ND would be behind CT/Fang/(whoever else) and have low morale due to the constant incomings. They would they ask themselves why are they in this block and stop hitting Asc. Then they do the same for another alliance in the block, in some cases Asc doesnt even need to launch a fleet at them.. only threaten to and they'll back out.

As others have said, you need one decent alliance to emerge for this round and to take on Asc directly. Then the other alliances can simply hide behind that alliance relatively safe from incomings (i.e. We need another Omen type alliance).
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:31   #256
VenoX

VenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken View Post
As much as this discussion about posi is great it's hideously offtopic, personal and part of a hideous ad hominem that I don't really care for. So it stops there.
I think its pretty valid, we're talking about r31 members of Ascendancy and how a large chunk are only there because they are cowards, i did note in my original post that this was not just Posi. A fair observation imo.
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:35   #257
stay_posi
optimist

stay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I think its pretty valid, we're talking about r31 members of Ascendancy and how a large chunk are only there because they are cowards. A fair observation imo.
what do you call the people starting 20-30 man BG's (that will undoubtably play for planet rank / avg score) meanwhile whining on AD about actual alliances?

Quote:
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:39   #258
VenoX

Quote:
what do you call the people starting 20-30 man BG's (that will undoubtably play for planet rank / avg score) meanwhile whining on AD about actual alliances?
If you are talking about me then you should just say it and stop trying to do those subtle insults that you're clearly terrible at.

I am playing next round FOR my friends and WITH my friends. Infact I am even considering scanning so that we aren't short in that department, if you want to have a discussion about selfish motives with ANYBODY in PA, I would advise you not to start with me.

EDIT: And FYI, I turned down an Ascendancy invite from JBG because I would prefer to play with my friends instead of the winning alliance. A lesson you and other recent Ascendancy acquisitions, could learn a lot from.

Last edited by VenoX; 17 Apr 2009 at 19:46.
VenoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:40   #259
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
As others have said, you need one decent alliance to emerge for this round and to take on Asc directly. Then the other alliances can simply hide behind that alliance relatively safe from incomings (i.e. We need another Omen type alliance).
This really needs emphasis. If people believe Ascendancy to be that much stronger than everyone else this round I would ask yourself to look at PA history and see if a genuinely stronger alliance has ever lost to a genuinely weaker alliance. The only way to beat a good alliance is to create another good alliance. Incidentally I was talking to jester the other day and he said if Ascendancy wins this round he'd be pro kicking everyone afterwards and just seeing what happens. Certainly our template for playing PA will still be there for everyone to pick up if they want to. Personally I don't believe, and I doubt he does either, this round will be as much of a walkover as some people seem to think so I'm cool with it playing out.
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:42   #260
CBA
Mind-boggling

CBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light

If everyone hits Asc from the beginning, it doesnt stop Asc from hitting an alliance back.. thats what the majority of HC's are afraid of and why blocks fail.
Oww Light... You really think one alliance would be so scared of this? C'mon, realistically with the amount of roids/value Ascendancy will be losing I doubt they could muster a huge attacking force.

Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:42   #261
ATRO

ATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant future

I personally think your idea is flawed CBA, simply because too many people are involved and human nature dictates they will get bored and wander off and do their own thing. Either that or they will be too worried about the alliances they are teaming with ****ing them over and backstabbing them that they will go off and do their own thing.

I don't think someone beating the crap out of Ascendancy would be a bad thing for Planetarion it's just i think your suggestion would quickly descend into a joke but i have been wrong plenty.

If i were to play this game at a decent activity level again i would be enticed into an alliance that had novel ideas and tactics on how to beat Ascendancy, gangbanging aint the way to go.

As for your idea VenoX that anyone that joins Ascendancy from here on in is a coward i think that could be a tad unfair. I would love to think if they are still around in the future and i could dedicate some time to the game that i could play there. Simply just to see what it's like playing in an alliance without regiment, not because i would be afraid to go up against them.
On that same note there are other alliances i wish i could have/might experience(d) at some point.

There are enough people playing the game of decent quality and decent enough nous to put up a decent challenge against Ascendancy if they really try. For crying out loud Omen and Denial gave them a good run, nothing is unbreakable.
ATRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:44   #262
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
This really needs emphasis. If people believe Ascendancy to be that much stronger than everyone else this round I would ask yourself to look at PA history and see if a genuinely stronger alliance has ever lost to a genuinely weaker alliance. The only way to beat a good alliance is to create another good alliance. Incidentally I was talking to jester the other day and he said if Ascendancy wins this round he'd be pro kicking everyone afterwards and just seeing what happens. Certainly our template for playing PA will still be there for everyone to pick up if they want to. Personally I don't believe, and I doubt he does either, this round will be as much of a walkover as some people seem to think so I'm cool with it playing out.
I think as it stands, its a walkover for Asc.. not due to Asc being the only really strong alliance but due to how the politics are shaping and the general attitude of players in those alliances. No alliance seems in shape to take the lead in any block formed against Asc and im pretty sure if Asc offered ND/CT/FanG a nap, they'd take it (or at least seriously consider it).

Quote:
Oww Light... You really think one alliance would be so scared of this? C'mon, realistically with the amount of roids/value Ascendancy will be losing I doubt they could muster a huge attacking force.
We saw last round, its almost impossible to take value away from Asc and they dont need to muster a huge attacking force.. they only need to get enough ships to cause 1 alliance abit of trouble (making them fall behind the others in the block).
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:44   #263
stay_posi
optimist

Quote:
If you are talking about me then you should just say it and stop trying to do those subtle insults that you're clearly terrible at.

I am playing next round FOR my friends and WITH my friends. Infact I am even considering scanning so that we aren't short in that department, if you want to have a discussion about selfish motives with ANYBODY in PA, I would advise you not to start with me.
then dont sit on AD and post about alliances being too good or winning too much if you are blatantly putting yourself in no position to do anything about it

Quote:
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:46   #264
CBA
Mind-boggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
We saw last round, its almost impossible to take value away from Asc and they dont need to muster a huge attacking force.. they only need to get enough ships to cause 1 alliance abit of trouble (making them fall behind the others in the block).
Without roids, how would Ascendancy gain all this value?

Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:47   #265
CBA
Mind-boggling

Quote:
then dont sit on AD and post about alliances being too good or winning too much if you are blatantly putting yourself in no position to do anything about it
'Do as I say, not as I do.'

Fair point though Posi... VenoX should dedicate his round for the greater good!

Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:49   #266
stay_posi
optimist

Quote:
Without roids, how would Ascendancy gain all this value?
well, you could argure that we'd gain our value the same way we gained it last round: you dont need roids to gain value when you have 4/5 alliances dumping all their value onto your defence

(just saying)

Quote:
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:52   #267
VenoX

Quote:
If there was an alliance capable of beating Ascendancy WITH the ~30 players I have gathered, I would happily chuck them into tag and fight Ascendancy. Unfortunately there isn't and hence, I'm forced to play with my friends that I know i can rely on. If things go well this round, I find some decent/capable help and decent tools, who knows, next round I might even consider running as an actual ally but since the only 2 other people i know/trust enough to venture into this sort of project with me have run scared to Ascendancy themselves, its pretty unlikely to happen again for me in that respect.
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 20:21   #268
Fuzzy
White Van Man Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Spider Jump Champion

Fuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
i call them people who will get bashed for a round and have fun playing with mates, looking to possibly build for the future rather than

a/ giving up and joining ascendancy to avoid a round of getting bashed
b/ not playing altogether

there have been multiple efforts over the rounds by many of these people to build 'real' alliances to fight ascendancy, however its easier said than done. ie. Denial/NoX/Audentes/Omen

i know in the case for myself i dont have the time/energy this round to again put up a futile attempt to fight ascendancy like i have in the past 2 rounds, and im sure the same applies for adastra, qerr, bronto, wishmaster, foxman who have all been putting up the 'good fight' these past few rounds.

maybe in a round or 2
#1 gal r29 - 1:10 ftw \o/
son of BENNEH, brother of bread| (former son of eksero )

"You cant say an alliance lost, when they finished 2nd" - Light, 2009
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 20:27   #269
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't think it's cowardice, it's pretty much because Ascendancy is just a good place to play. If you've got a track record of whining you're likely to get a big fat no vote on you. We don't want players who come to us for 'safety' as they're likely to be the first to welsh out in a fight.

Leadership where people lose their rag, don't drum home the fundamentals of playing, tolerate whiners and let bitterness cloud their political judgment inevitably comes unstuck. Players don't really want to be part of that. Outside of Ascendancy, NewDawn have historically run their alliance in a way that isn't just that and for all their mistakes and perhaps lack of ability have been consistent performers since way back when.

So my suggestion is simply create alliances that people want to be a part of. Maybe your BG will be one of those that will recruit well and achieve that. As for me, well I joined Ascendancy in round 16 so I assume your rant doesn't apply to me

Quote:
If people believe Ascendancy to be that much stronger than everyone else this round I would ask yourself to look at PA history and see if a genuinely stronger alliance has ever lost to a genuinely weaker alliance.
Twice by my reckoning: Round 6 Fury, Legion and Xanadu defeat, Round 27 Ascendancy defeat. Not sure if you are going to agree with the second one.
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 20:30   #270
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think you're really under-rating Deus. The addition of a few key players can turn a mediocre alliance into a good one. And in r27 I wouldn't rate Ascendancy any better than denial, if we had been we wouldn't have had 3 or 4 emoquitters (I'm not sure if denial had a single one that round?)
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 20:55   #271
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
I think you're really under-rating Deus. The addition of a few key players can turn a mediocre alliance into a good one. And in r27 I wouldn't rate Ascendancy any better than denial, if we had been we wouldn't have had 3 or 4 emoquitters (I'm not sure if denial had a single one that round?)
We had a fantastic command (while they were still physically able to play) and a fantastic BC who was able to manage the firepower of several alliances at once, but in terms of personnel the opposition had a lot of strength and depth.

Fury at least were exceptionally good that round (hence why we needed to throw so much at them) and put in a truly heroic performance. Had the round gone on longer (and that was a really long round), they would have certainly won. LDK were tremendous. As one of the eminent DC's at the time, their effort on sliekas was absolutely first rate. Actually arguably Fury in round 6 were the finest alliance that I've seen. Their comeback once we turned on Xanadu was an absolute joy to behold.

Edit: One thing you might pick on is the fact that Fury wouldn't have lost. But some exceptional politics (two evenly matched 'strike' class alliances and their blocks against each other) allowed us to do that.

Last edited by lokken; 17 Apr 2009 at 21:02.
lokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 21:03   #272
Reese
If not never; then once.

Reese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud of

Quote:
We had that with Denial.

Quote:
let bitterness cloud their political judgment
But that happened with other alliances.

People running some alliances are simply too bitter, or don't actually play the game anymore, so they have no clue what its really like. They base all of their decisions only on the past, and not on the present/future. The HC won't talk to their own players about anything, so they become unhappy and stop caring. As a result they all end up failing. Denial could beat ASC, but the rest of planetarion doesn't want that.

CBA is right to an extent that it would take multi alliance teamwork to dethrone ASC. To claim anything else is stupid. (Even ASC had allies last round.) But that is not going to happen, now is it? The one thing missing from CBA's formula is the way to keep all opposition to ASC happy, including the alliance "taking the hit." It is 100% doable, but again, its not what other alliances actually want. (And you can change out Denial for Omen or any other alliance, the point remains the same.)

Until they can change, ASC will keep winning.
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 21:05   #273
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
We had a fantastic command (while they were still physically able to play) and a fantastic BC who was able to manage the firepower of several alliances at once, but in terms of personnel the opposition had a lot of strength and depth.

Fury at least were exceptionally good that round (hence why we needed to throw so much at them) and put in a truly heroic performance. Had the round gone on longer (and that was a really long round), they would have certainly won. LDK were tremendous. As one of the eminent DC's at the time, their effort on sliekas was absolutely first rate. Actually arguably Fury in round 6 were the finest alliance that I've seen. Their comeback once we turned on Xanadu was an absolute joy to behold.
I think perhaps lost was the wrong word, as it does imply a certain end of round state of affairs that we can judge things on. Perhaps a better way of looking it is has a weaker alliance or even combination of ever taken another alliance out of the game. If you look at last round I don't think anyone would argue that if the round had continued for another 5 weeks ascendancy would still be top. Difficult to say the same for round 6.

I actually just saw your edit which says what I said heh.
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 21:13   #274
lokken
BlueTuba

Yeah, I think we're in broad agreement really.

I just wanted to make a point that it's not totally impossible with good management, so long as the politics permit that. Fury were easily the best alliance and still lost. The reason they would have won is simply that Deus were shot and battle weary by the end while fury had depth of personnel.
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 21:21   #275
Thatcher
VtS killerbee

Thatcher is a jewel in the roughThatcher is a jewel in the roughThatcher is a jewel in the rough

legion > fury everytime

Easy Company - Founder

"Train Hard, Fight Easy"
Thatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 22:25   #276
Gary
xVx Peon

Gary is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well maybe some players are tired of doing their bit in an 'alliance' like CT where the majority of the alliance avoid attacking Asc. This is where part of the problem lies, too many people go off soloing. There has to be a fundamental change in attitudes towards galaxy and attacks to take Asc down.

As for bg's - I feel you are too quick to dismiss them posi. Not all of them will be trying to repeat the way DLR did things directly. Who knows, maybe some new ideas will come from it.

And posi let's be honest. Would you choose going into a small bg, or going to an alliance like FAnG which is destined for another Angels type failure?
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 23:04   #277
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
If Ascendancy are hit from t72 by multiple alliances, they cant do anything about it.
In such a scenario as the one you suggest, alliance X will change its strategy, simply because hitting Ascendancy isn't as profitable as hitting newbies is, not when there are 7 other alliances in the block, which can keep down Ascendancy just as well as 8 can. Then the same thing will happen to the block of the remaining 7 alliances, leaving only 6. It'll happen again and again until the block is no longer big enough to keep Ascendancy down. Ascendancy would grow at an alarming rate (as we've seen before), at which point the whole sorry cycle starts again: the "everyone hit Ascendancy" strategy isn't a Nash equilibrium.

Even though you are right that a successful execution of this strategy would certainly prevent Ascendancy from winning r31, human nature simply doesn't work that way, selfish little shits that we are. It'll never happen. That isn't to say that it's impossible to stop Ascendancy from winning through some other strategy (though it won't be easy), but this plan of yours is never going to work. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if it were the least effective strategy you could possibly have come up with (Jester, comment?), short of deleting all of your planets.

I really can't explain this any better than I just have, if this kind of thing interests you I advise you to read into it a bit more, it's quite a fascinating topic. Wikipedia is, as always, a good place to start.

[edit]Having read a bit more of the thread, it looks like I'm pretty much repeating what Achi, JBG, cocteau and others have been saying, though I've tried to explain it in a different way.

Quote:
I don't think it's cowardice, it's pretty much because Ascendancy is just a good place to play. If you've got a track record of whining you're likely to get a big fat no vote on you. We don't want players who come to us for 'safety' as they're likely to be the first to welsh out in a fight.
Personally, I think it'd be good for Ascendancy if we lose the round, precisely because of what you just said there. I don't think we're as good at weeding out the shitty players as you think we are, I have no doubt that we've gained quite a few of them in recent times.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2009, 00:40   #278
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

There are two things playing here:

First, ascendancy has an invitation system which has remarkly low and high standards at the same time. If you are a proven shit player, you do not get in. But about anyone else gets a chance. If you are a proven proper player you get a chance as well. Which basically means that anyone being propped get in. Apart from a few 'well known cases'.

Second. Ascendancy is apperently the best alliance around which no other alliance can take on one on one and multiple alliance need to gang up on ascendancy to take them down and make sure they are not of any influence in the end game (we havent addressed the end game enough. Exponential growth and end games make for interesting research). As a last point I wish you all to read up on this and hopefully you understand why hitting Ascendancy for a prolonged period of time will never work when working with people acting on rationale in stead of zealousy.
Unread 18 Apr 2009, 04:44   #279
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

tbh, when asc won last round, they will win every ****ing round. I bent over backwards and hit the worst targets, yet retards wanted to cruise on their lead at the moment ( hehe ct and nd ) and thought it would be enough to win. was it 100 or 75 mil u ended behind them?
seriously, as long as hcs dont realise how score growth works in PA, and continue to play like they have the last rounds, there is no hope. I honestly feel that hcs should get how score generates for dummies crash course.

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2009, 07:01   #280
Annie

Annie is just really niceAnnie is just really niceAnnie is just really niceAnnie is just really nice

Just another rumor.....I will not be scanning this round, I will be playing a proper planet with the plan to come in rank #3.

Oh...and I am going Cath and will defense leech.

CBA will you be my mentor?
Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2009, 08:47   #281
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
tbh, when asc won last round, they will win every ****ing round. I bent over backwards and hit the worst targets, yet retards wanted to cruise on their lead at the moment ( hehe ct and nd ) and thought it would be enough to win. was it 100 or 75 mil u ended behind them?
seriously, as long as hcs dont realise how score growth works in PA, and continue to play like they have the last rounds, there is no hope. I honestly feel that hcs should get how score generates for dummies crash course.
In fairness I think ND have always played in a way that:

a) secures them good score and ranking
b) appreciates their own limitations
c) might allow them to win if they get lucky

It's a rationale that for most people opposing Ascendancy is probably frustrating but it works for them. They didn't seem overly gutted when we went ahead of them, simply because their philosophy (see above) appreciates that if there are better alliances on a good run, they probably aren't going to win. And generally, they are quite a good alliance to work with when they are on your side.

They've won PA because of this, so from a totally selfish NewDawn point of view it works for them.
Unread 18 Apr 2009, 11:52   #282
Maka
insidious

Maka is an unknown quantity at this point

Are we really pretending ND/CT/FaNG can win the round? Several alliances can finish second - fifth, but I think we all know only Asc can finsish first.

DAMMIT!

Last edited by Maka; 19 Apr 2009 at 00:19.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2009, 12:07   #283
CBA
Mind-boggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie View Post
Just another rumor.....I will not be scanning this round, I will be playing a proper planet with the plan to come in rank #3.

Oh...and I am going Cath and will defense leech.

CBA will you be my mentor?
In short, no. I will not be participating in IRC activities this round (un)fortunately.

However if you need some advise, mail me here or get my msn of mz!

Unread 18 Apr 2009, 12:52   #284
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Are we really pretending ND/CT/FaNG can win the round? Several alliances can finish second - fifth, but I think we all know only Asc can finsish first. Hi Golan/Desse.
Who is?

Quote:
or get my msn of mz!
Huh?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2009, 13:00   #285
CBA
Mind-boggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post

Huh?
Sorry... It was a joke.

Unread 18 Apr 2009, 13:11   #286
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Sorry... It was a joke.
and a damn good one at that!

Quote:
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
Unread 18 Apr 2009, 13:22   #287
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

And after all of this predictability it would be humerous if Asc lost. So many people have consigned themselves to the fact that Asc can't be stopped. They are a pretty amazing alliance which proves itself in polititcs and on the field. But after everybody bigging them up it would be pretty funny if 3 other alliances bombarded them for 6 weeks relentlessly.

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Apr 2009, 01:06   #288
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:
The only thing i'd comment on this is, that PA history is different to how the game stands at the moment. The game is dying and it looks like the community has just given up trying to stop Asc, It also doesnt help that next round Asc is clearly favourite (to dominate it by alot) and then Asc recruits well over the alliance-limit to 130 planets while every other alliance is struggling to even reach the cap.

Before, i'd argue that it was the communitys fault not Asc's.. but now the community has given up, everything lies at Asc's feet.
Unread 19 Apr 2009, 01:20   #289
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The only thing i'd comment on this is, that PA history is different to how the game stands at the moment. The game is dying and it looks like the community has just given up trying to stop Asc, It also doesnt help that next round Asc is clearly favourite (to dominate it by alot) and then Asc recruits well over the alliance-limit to 130 planets while every other alliance is struggling to even reach the cap.

Before, i'd argue that it was the communitys fault not Asc's.. but now the community has given up, everything lies at Asc's feet.
I think thats also one of the reasons we're seeing so many bg's next round.
People have given up on trying to beat Asc so they're now just playing as small units for fun...

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Apr 2009, 01:25   #290
Cocteau
Cherry Colored Funk

Cocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem! View Post
I think thats also one of the reasons we're seeing so many bg's next round.
People have given up on trying to beat Asc so they're now just playing as small units for fun...
I disagree.

They're struggling to get along or make it work together.
Really need you

-- My Bloody Valentine
Cocteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Apr 2009, 01:31   #291
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

Well Cocteau - that's been the problem for a good while now. People dont play in tags because they get on with people their/like the alliance; they play to fence BPs and go for gal wins, or play in the tag that's most likely to win.

People, apart from Asc, haven't "played for each other" in a long, long time.

BGs is just the first step in trying to get 'team spirit' up again.
Unread 19 Apr 2009, 01:43   #292
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
The only thing i'd comment on this is, that PA history is different to how the game stands at the moment. The game is dying and it looks like the community has just given up trying to stop Asc
I don't believe this is true. If it has I'd probably leave Ascendancy myself. What would be the point of playing.
Unread 19 Apr 2009, 01:50   #293
Cocteau
Cherry Colored Funk

Cocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to all

Ok kenny. But the point still stands. I just disagree that the game is now in Asc's hands because the community has given up.

I think the rest of the pack isn't even trying decently to get along. Just on top of my mind and no offense to people involve, based from what i read in this thread: This round's ND + Denial BG + DLR BG play in one tag - is quite a competition for Asc. Well, i think and it's just an example i could think of right now.
Really need you

-- My Bloody Valentine
Unread 19 Apr 2009, 02:00   #294
Wishmaster
LDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocteau View Post
Ok kenny. But the point still stands. I just disagree that the game is now in Asc's hands because the community has given up.

I think the rest of the pack isn't even trying decently to get along. Just on top of my mind and no offense to people involve, based from what i read in this thread: This round's ND + Denial BG + DLR BG play in one tag - is quite a competition for Asc. Well, i think and it's just an example i could think of right now.
tbh, there are just too many people who "control" group of players in asc.
Asc will just get all info needed, and eventually the people will shipjump.
Like the liths now in xvx, with cardi being both in asc chans, and in a somewhat leaderrole in xvx ( I dont know what hes doing tbh, so might be mistaken here. correct me, or tell me his part someone plz. )
eksero and reese will get all the info needed from the denial people.
etc etc.

Atm I feel the community has given up, lets hope something changes to sort the mindset of people. If people dont think they can beat asc, they cant beat them either.

Quote:
Unread 19 Apr 2009, 02:06   #295
JonnyBGood
Banned

Information? Information's everywhere man. And even if you don't have direct intel it's pretty easy to get any actual required information without it. ****ing hell we did it for ages ourselves heh.
Unread 19 Apr 2009, 02:52   #296
VenoX

Quote:
I don't believe this is true. If it has I'd probably leave Ascendancy myself. What would be the point of playing.
There will be no alliance actively competing with Ascendancy for #1 spot in r31. It is true, whether you believe/like it or not..

Quote:
This round's ND + Denial BG + DLR BG play in one tag - is quite a competition for Asc. Well, i think and it's just an example i could think of right now.
Can we call it by its actual name: Evolution (I didn't chose the name, I swear) as its not actually anything to do with Denial besides a couple of familiar faces.

You are somewhat missing the point though, since you are ignoring the reasons WHY these groups are NOT playing in alliances like ND and are now chosing to play alone instead of suffer under inept leadership/commands inside ancient alliances that have progressed no where in the last ~10 rounds. It's all well and good saying "but if they all played together they could beat us!" but it isn't going to happen unfortunately.

I am pretty sure if there was a competent alternative to Ascendancy this round that actually WANTS to challenge for #1 (ie a Denial or an Omen) then there wouldn't be so many BG's playing. Perhaps next round will be different (rumours of a possible Denial return?!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
eksero and reese will get all the info needed from the denial people.
etc etc.
I'm pretty sure they won't since the majority of "denial people" are anti-Ascendancy (and therefore, atm atleast, rather anti-eksero/Reese).
Unread 19 Apr 2009, 04:20   #297
Cocteau
Cherry Colored Funk

Quote:

Can we call it by its actual name: Evolution (I didn't chose the name, I swear) as its not actually anything to do with Denial besides a couple of familiar faces.

You are somewhat missing the point though, since you are ignoring the reasons WHY these groups are NOT playing in alliances like ND and are now chosing to play alone instead of suffer under inept leadership/commands inside ancient alliances that have progressed no where in the last ~10 rounds. It's all well and good saying "but if they all played together they could beat us!" but it isn't going to happen unfortunately.
No I'm not ignoring it. In fact, you're agreeing to my point - that a solid combined unit is not getting along.

As for the reason why, i respect that whatever it is. But that's another subject.
Really need you

-- My Bloody Valentine
Unread 19 Apr 2009, 10:14   #298
Tommy
Sain†s

Tommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud of

Quote:
I disagree.

They're struggling to get along or make it work together.
I know of a couple of smaller allys / larger BGs that are playing because they want a fun round. There's not nearly as much animosity towards the big allies as suggested, people are just trying to rediscover the fun in the game again.
Unread 19 Apr 2009, 10:26   #299
Thatcher
VtS killerbee

Thatcher is a jewel in the roughThatcher is a jewel in the roughThatcher is a jewel in the rough

iam not sure about the community dying, but from reading many of these comments alot do seem to be taking crack.

Asc had a fight on their hands last round, and i dont see any reason why they shouldnt this round. Omen were stopped from running away with round 30 early on through other allys cooperating with Asc.

Also nothing about the creation of new BGs is about 'rediscovering fun', personally iam doing one because i think it is the right tactical choice, i have seen 'big' allys fall through infighting brought on from lack of targets and failure to coordinate large numbers of members, and i think it is the primary reason CT fell apart so spectacularly at the end of last round. While Asc have a solid core well practised at working together, the soft underbelly of Asc is the 60 or so members that are not part of this core.

while those BG/allys with the restraint not to fill a tag will not be in the top 10 ally tags, for the others (Asc/CT/ND) there is all to play for.

Easy Company - Founder

"Train Hard, Fight Easy"
Thatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Apr 2009, 10:34   #300
Tommy
Sain†s

Tommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatcher View Post
iam not sure about the community dying, but from reading many of these comments alot do seem to be taking crack.

Asc had a fight on their hands last round, and i dont see any reason why they shouldnt this round. Omen were stopped from running away with round 30 early on through other allys cooperating with Asc.

Also nothing about the creation of new BGs is about 'rediscovering fun', personally iam doing one because i think it is the right tactical choice, i have seen 'big' allys fall through infighting brought on from lack of targets and failure to coordinate large numbers of members, and i think it is the primary reason CT fell apart so spectacularly at the end of last round. While Asc have a solid core well practised at working together, the soft underbelly of Asc is the 60 or so members that are not part of this core.

while those BG/allys with the restraint not to fill a tag will not be in the top 10 ally tags, for the others (Asc/CT/ND) there is all to play for.
I wouldn't say it's got nothing to do with rediscovering fun - a lot of the people I'm playing with in the coming round are people I've played several rounds with in 2 other games. I'm playing with them because I know it'll provide an entertaining round to watch and play. If the option wasn't there, I'd probably not bother playing.