User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 5 Jan 2007, 01:02   #1
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
How do you work best?

We all know the assignments, reports and exams that have to be made and learned. All of us usually also have a kind of routine in which they perform best. I wonder what yours is?

I usually give myself a few days too much for an assignment and then do a day of almost nothing first, then I orientate a bit, but am hardly productive, after some more orientation I finally get an image in my head of what has to be done. Once I finally get my act together to start doing it, I usually set up westwood game music (mainly the C&C and red alert songs) and get a few bottles of some beverage, although bacardi&coke seem to do it for me pretty good at the moment and start, and once I've started I don't want to quit and if I continue it through till the end I usually have a masterpiece done. However, if I get discontinued halfway through, it is as if I have to start over again.

So, you got any rituals.

ps. ADHD really is fun in these cases when you have to do stuff YOURSELF, by YOURSELF and noone is monitoring you untill it is done other then YOURSELF.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 01:24   #2
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: How do you work best?

I tend to procrastinate till the last few hours and then sit there and create crap due to lack of time.

When I don't procrastinate, I tend to try to focus, turn off music etc and start reading about the subject to interest myself in it, after that its pretty easy and I produce pretty good pieces of work
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 01:30   #3
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Alone, masturbating in a dark corner.

Wait, sorry, that's horn. I like to pretend someone else will do the work then panic when it's too late then revert to type.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 01:35   #4
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

In the last 90 minutes or so I created this masterpiece, however has any one of you any clue while reading this what Electromach actually has as market and customers? ps. the references are not yet complete nor final.

In this paragraph the market, customers and products of Electromach are analyzed. This is done from a production perspective using Reid & Sanders and from a marketing perspective using Kotler (Kotler, 2003). [HMorsink1] We also use Little (Little 1974)[HMorsink2] to classify the position of Electromach between its competitors. This will ensure us that we have classified the internal and external environment of Electromach and we have paid specific attention to the competition.
First we use Kotler (Kotler, 2003) to determine what kind of market Electromach operates in and what kind of customers Electromach has, we also use some of his terminology to further specify the market of Electromach.
Electromach operates in a business to business (B2B) market and only in this market. They are a production company that delivers a product, not a service. Ofcourse there are contractual terms which means that at times Electromach delivers a service, but this is not their primary process. Their target market is the explosion proof equipment industry, which mainly is a segment of the petrochemical industry, but it also has other industries like the chemical industry, while their customers are engineering firms, petrochemical companies and other companies which have a need for explosionproof equipment. Their products are used as end products, but also as a component for other products. In appendix XXX you can find a list of all of Electromachs products, self produced and sold as a merchant. We use Kotler’s chapter on business market analysis to see what kind of buying situation the customers of Electromach usually is in, this helps us better understand certain specific needs of these customers and why Electromach has to take this into account. There are three kinds of buying situation, namely straight rebuy, modified rebuy and new task. Straight rebuy is when a company runs out of an item or raw material and needs to replace it. Modified rebuy means that a replacement of an item or raw material is needed, but that the specifications that have to be met are to be changed. New task means that the buyer buys the item for the first time. Electromachs c ustomers are mainly in the new task situation, while Electromach is mainly in the straight rebuy and modified rebuy position, when view from their suppliers. To further specify this we specify the products of Electromach according to Kraljic as strategic products or bottleneck products for the customer. This means that the products have high value for the customer and involve high risk, The customers wants trust and reliability, Others are routine products and leverage products, which involve less risk and less costs for a customer, price is an order winner there.
Using the adaption from Kotler of Thomas V. Bonoma and Benson P. Shapiro[HMorsink3] we can further specify the marketsegments and customers Electromach targets. This adaption gives a list of 17 points which classifies the major segmentation variables of business markets.
Electromach serves large companies, mainly engineering firms, within the petrochemical industry, directly and through their R. Stahl affiliates. One third of those are within the Netherlands and the other two thirds are abroad, while half of them are sold to through the affiliates of R. Stahl. The customers use sophisticated yet robust technology as a heavy user while the customer needs only a few of the complete systems Electromach offers. The customers are usually centralized organization, or at least the order should be made there, as they provide mission-critical tools for an organization. They target engineering dominated companies with whom they have medium to strong relationships. They compete with flexibility and reliability, while they are cost-efficient. Electromach works on a project basis, but the deadline is for many customers sacred. Electromach has small orders for specific applications. They serve risk-minimizing companies who share the same believes of Electromach with regard to values and standards. Loyalty within this industry is a non-issue, but Electromach is on the ‘preferred bidders’ list by many companies when they give an engineering firm a contract.
Reid&Sanders describe order winners and order qualifiers. Order winners are those characteristics of a product in which a company excels so they win an order, order qualifiers are standards that have to be met before a potential customer even takes them into consideration. In this market the most important order winners are flexibility and reliability, order qualifiers are quality and certification.
We also use Wind[HMorsink4] together with Little as a final tool to analyse the position Electromach has in its market. Electromach positions itself within a product category, namely the explosion proof equipment, and within this market they have an attribute positioning for flexibility and reliability. The competitive force of Electromach is favourable, as they have exploitable strengths and more then average opportunity to improve this position. Other positioning are benefit positioning, application positioning, competitor positioning and quality or price positioning. While other positions of strength are dominant, strong, favourable, tenable, weak and nonviable.
As final addition to this paragraph we tell a bit more about Electromach and its market and how Electromach themselves think this will develop. The Electromach brand is widely known within the explosion proof equipment market, it is, according to Electromach themselves, a unique, flexible and reliable brand. Through their affiliates of the R. Stahl group Electromach can target the complete global market and hopes to gain much there, as they are certified for all markets and can compete on leadtime with any competitor in the world. The R Stahl group gives them this opportunity. However, being in the R Stahl group also means they act as a trading company for R Stahl with components produced by R Stahl, this Is not targeted in this paragraph because there is little Electromach can do with this as R Stahl is in control of these products, Electromach can only influence their stocklevels.
[HMorsink1]Kotler, 2003, Marketing Management, Pearson Education, I[[er Sadd;e Rover

[HMorsink2]Robert V. L. Wright, 1974, A System for Managing Diversity (Cambridge, MA: Arthur D. Little)

[HMorsink3]Bonoma&hapira, 1983, Segmenting the Industrial Market, Lexintong Books, Lexiongton

[HMorsink4]Y. Wind, 1982, Product Policy Concepts, Maethods and Stragegy
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 01:36   #5
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm not sure which part of me decided to commit suicide first while reading that but I do know I'm not long for this world.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 01:37   #6
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

oh and yes, it hasn't passed the spelling and grammar check yet ...
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 02:12   #7
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
So got any rituals?

No idea what you might be talking about. Might as well be talking football for all of the insight I would have on the topic.
I classify myself as a spurt worker. Work rapidly in short bursts.

Peparing for a court case is remarkably similar to doing a term paper with an oral presentation.

I ususally thrash about in a directionless fog for awhile. Then I settle down. I put some sort of DVD in and have a movie or such going while I work. Currenly preparing a case and watching BBC's "The World at War." I had to look up when they were talking about General Zhukov, for obvious reasons.

When I am reaching the end of a spurt I get up and go get a drink or a snack and then return to work. If I am interrupted, it usually takes me 15-20 minutes to settle back into work.

Preparation for a trial usually takes a few weeks for me to complete. I am usually still completing the final touches as I am presenting the first part of the case. The advantage of court presentation over oral presentation of a paper is that you can create more time to prepare by dragging things out in the begining.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 02:45   #8
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I'm a genious you know

I work best under pressure.
Actually, I only work under pressure
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 03:06   #9
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Alone, masturbating in a dark corner.
it was you, wasnt it
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 04:06   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Until recently, like many of the people here my attitude to work was summarised by this Calvin and Hobbes strip. I only worked under pressure - something which got progressively worse over time - culminating with my msc dissertation which I basically didn't start until a year after it was due in (and then did most of it in one night).

Identifying this as a problem, over the last 3 or 4 months I've tried to change my approach. While I still find it very difficult to complete certain work until the last possible moment (and then some), I generally find this only applies to work I'm given to do by other people that therefore becomes categorised in my mind as an obligation. Even work that I view as an obligation to myself I'll find myself unable to do. So I'll happily update my blog, but as soon as I think "I ought to update it" I'll find myself devoid of ideas. It's a kind of mental block (/illness).

While this may be a bit extreme, I doubt it's that uncommon. How many people here have written several thousand words on these forums while essays remain unstarted? Yes, sometimes it's because the subject matter of the essay is impossibly dull, but sometimes the essays I've delayed doing are on topics I actually find quite interesting.

To counteract this problem at work I've therefore adopted two parallel strategies :
i) Doing work before people ask me to do it - which is easier than you'd think, although does mean you end up doing some stuff which doesn't need doing. If I'm doing it without thinking I have to, I usually find no problem starting it.

ii) When I am assigned work that I've not anticipated I instead do something that's vaguely similar to it, but sufficiently different so part of my brain won't refuse to do it. I then either submit that, or edit it after it's done to be more like what's required. For some reason editing is a different mental process to starting from scratch and I can get it done in time.

The above two methods, combined with a couple of other changes, mean that I'm now ahead in almost every aspect of my job. I'm not sure it would work in an educational environment, but in a year or so I might try and start another degree and see what happens.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 08:44   #11
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

delegation.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 08:48   #12
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
I work best under pressure.
Actually, I only work under pressure

Yup, same for me.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 17:15   #13
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

I find that leaving it until the last possible minute and staying up all night the day before my work is due in seems to work best for me*

*not really, but it's what I end up doing anyway
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 17:36   #14
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

I work best when i'm with a fellow student
or when it's around 4 am, then i tend to feel too numb to be distracted

Also before I start on an assignment I try to break it down to subquestions (or whatever it's called)
I actually make a list with every question I can think off and sort it in a logical order
so I only have to focus on one aspect at a time and can simply fill everything in
And voila my report or presentation or whatever is finished

Last edited by Alessio; 5 Jan 2007 at 17:51.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 19:34   #15
rnd|One
100% irresistible

rnd|One has a spectacular aura aboutrnd|One has a spectacular aura aboutrnd|One has a spectacular aura about

Proper planning and research to have a good mental idea of the workflow ahead before placing the pen in hand. Trying to force finish, just because I want it done, rarely achieves results.

That said one trick isn't enough to work on all occasions.