User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 9 Jan 2003, 23:18   #1
Jo

Would you know what to do?

My friends dad found a man collapsed on the street yesterday. He administered mouth to mouth and heart massage and the guy came round a bit only to die minutes later. The ambulance man said possibly a heart attack.

Would you know what to do if you found someone in that situation or do you think adrenalin kicks in and all your nights of watching Casualty are remembered?
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 23:19   #2
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
maybe

but i dont watch casuality.

based on hollywood movies id know what to do!!!
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 23:26   #3
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Would you know what to do?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jo
My friends dad found a man collapsed on the street yesterday. He administered mouth to mouth and heart massage and the guy came round a bit only to die minutes later. The ambulance man said possibly a heart attack.

Would you know what to do if you found someone in that situation or do you think adrenalin kicks in and all your nights of watching Casualty are remembered?
I actually do know cpr and all that crap.

but when i'm walking somewhere, and i see a person unconscious on the street, i take the immediate action of lifting my leg extra high and stepping over.

reason being that people are always passing out drunk everywhere around here. you get used to it. if he was oldish and not breathing my course of action might be different.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 00:27   #4
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Intervention is an unknown quantity at this point
I know CPR and all that. However, I was taught not to use it unless you were convinced that you could save the person's life - for fear of persecution if said person dies after a failed attempt at saving them.

It's a sad world.

--------------
My Artwork
Intervention is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 00:32   #5
Jo

Yup, he has to go and give some sort of statement as to the full sequence of events
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 00:44   #6
Ainara
its zeke fs

Ainara is infamous around these partsAinara is infamous around these parts
I would bite him in the nuts...

aka zeke
#spacehamsters

btw Folköl rockar stenhårt!!!!!12
Ainara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 13:19   #7
treelo
Kyuss/qotsa > Deffeh ffs

treelo is an unknown quantity at this point
indeed i do.....
take his wallet, his shoes and any jewellery.....
perform cpr and tell him that someone has mugged him but they ran off....

Waiting for the Sun.
treelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 17:44   #8
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
I would have begun crying like a little girl.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 17:47   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Re: Would you know what to do?

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
if he was oldish and not breathing my course of action might be different.
Steal his wallet and run off ?
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 17:50   #10
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
poor man,

he feels a terrible pain, cant breathe, ohgodoh**** this is itim having a fcking heart attack, periphal vision going, ohjesuschrist its going dark.

But wait, theres a light...a tunnel, a feeling of relaxation, everything is going to be ok.

fck the pain again...voises...eyes open bleary and unfocused.

FFS THERES A MAN KISSING ME.

WTF!!!

dead, gone, blackness, straight to hell.
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 18:14   #11
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Intervention
I know CPR and all that. However, I was taught not to use it unless you were convinced that you could save the person's life - for fear of persecution if said person dies after a failed attempt at saving them.

It's a sad world.

yeah, i got told that as well
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 23:04   #12
LastLaughingGuy

i know ..bad place to get in contact, but if u are the right Jo ...please write me [email protected] ....lost icq+your number...

LLG
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 00:21   #13
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
I've had to do it for real, it's scarey At least I knew what to do though. Always remember your ABC
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 00:33   #14
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Intervention
for fear of persecution if said person dies after a failed attempt at saving them.
what a fked country are u living in where this is possible ?
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 00:36   #15
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by at0mic.c0w
what a fked country are u living in where this is possible ?
Assuming he means prosecution not persecution both the US and UK are potential danger zones

Sad but true.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 00:47   #16
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Assuming he means prosecution not persecution both the US and UK are potential danger zones

Sad but true.
Sad maybe, but not true--at least, not in the US. Every state in the US has a "Good Samaritan" law which specifically excepts you from civil liability when helping someone in distress (and if you should somehow end up doing more harm than good). Anyone who's passed out unconscious on the sidewalk easily meets any legal definition of being "in distress."

This was the first thing they covered in CPR class when I took it.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 01:30   #17
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
exactly
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 01:38   #18
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Sad maybe, but not true--at least, not in the US. Every state in the US has a "Good Samaritan" law which specifically excepts you from civil liability when helping someone in distress (and if you should somehow end up doing more harm than good). Anyone who's passed out unconscious on the sidewalk easily meets any legal definition of being "in distress."

I thought you could still end up getting hammered if you totally **** it up? Like breaking someone's ribs and puncturing a lung when they didn't really need CPR or something.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 01:45   #19
Freakozoid
Anon.

Freakozoid is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
I thought you could still end up getting hammered if you totally **** it up? Like breaking someone's ribs and puncturing a lung when they didn't really need CPR or something.

No one mentioned anything to me about getting sued when I had to take my 3 star medical award.

Never had to administer CPR but have had to put two people into the recovery position after minor traffic accidents.
Freakozoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 01:49   #20
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Would you know what to do?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jo

Would you know what to do if you found someone in that situation

Roughly

A 16 yr old was killed in my town a few days ago while he was out sledging with some friends. He lost control and was thrown off the sledge, and landed really badly. His friends were smart enough to put him into the recovery position and tried to help him until the ambulance got there, but it seems probable that he was dead on impact :/

I don't think at the age of 16 that I would have had any idea what to do :/
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 02:41   #21
Jammers

Jammers has a little shameless behaviour in the past
1. Get phone out
2. Phone 999
3. Get error message saying that network coverage is not available
4. Hope someone else finds the dead guy
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 04:33   #22
JBOY
Retired

JBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to all
If you arent trained and attempt to give first aid, and cause a worse injury than has already occured, resulting in death or serious imparement to the person's life. you can either be fined heavily or charged with manslaughter if they die.
First thing i got told on my first aid in the workplace course, a government style run thing. which i have the refresher for in about a fortnight \o/
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 06:33   #23
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by JBOY
If you arent trained and attempt to give first aid, and cause a worse injury than has already occured, resulting in death or serious imparement to the person's life. you can either be fined heavily or charged with manslaughter if they die.
First thing i got told on my first aid in the workplace course, a government style run thing. which i have the refresher for in about a fortnight \o/
If you dont give help and they die because noone helped them, can you also be charged?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 07:04   #24
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
If you dont give help and they die because noone helped them, can you also be charged?
only if you have medical certifications. Ignorance is not a crime (in this case).

Those of us with first-aid/cpr or other certifications however can find ourselves facing criminal negligence charges. :\
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 07:51   #25
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Yeah I would. It was pretty much drilled in during army training, we were trained to cover any home guard team position, including medic.

When it comes to the legal debate, I really couldn't care less. I am not much for following the law in other situations, and when lives are at stake, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 08:50   #26
slick
Last Of The Soul Reaver

slick is on a distinguished road
1)i would try and save him.
2)if the guy dies, and i get sued or arrested, then my line of defence is "well, at least i tried to save the guy, christ sake, just coz he's dead doesn't mean i didn't try. stop having a go at me AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" and run away.

You're just jealous coz the voices are talking to me!

Rimmer: Step Up To Red Alet!
Kryten: Are You Sure Sir, It Does Mean Changing The Bulb!

Death to the deamoness Allegra Gellar!
slick is offline   Reply With Quote