User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Jul 2004, 03:52   #1
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
Official Paypal?

did anyone else get the email from them about the class action settlement?
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 04:06   #2
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Re: Official Paypal?

no, and that's in my industry, so I figured I'd have heard. Not to say it isn't true. I've missed announcements before...

Where did it originate from?
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 10:09   #3
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If its asking for login details or payments from you, its almost certainly a fake.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 10:19   #4
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
If its asking for login details or payments from you, its almost certainly a fake.
it actually asks for nothing, and provides alot of info, including the lawyers names and contact info that are handling the case.

Quote:
Dear Dylan Edes,

IF YOU OPENED A PAYPAL ACCOUNT BETWEEN OCTOBER 1999 AND JANUARY 2004, YOU MAY BE ENTITLED TO A PAYMENT FROM A CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT.

PLEASE READ THIS NOTICE CAREFULLY.

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
SAN JOSE DIVISION

In re PayPal litigation
Case No. CV-02-01227-JF (PVT)

NOTICE OF PENDENCY OF CLASS ACTION AND PROPOSED SETTLEMENT

1. WHY DID I GET THIS NOTICE?
You have been sent this Notice because the records of PayPal, Inc. indicate you are a current or former PayPal account holder. This means you may be eligible to receive a payment from the proposed class action settlement in the lawsuit In re PayPal Litigation, Case No. 02 1227 JF PVT, pending in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California in San Jose. This Notice provides a summary of the terms of the proposed settlement. It also explains the lawsuit, your legal rights under the settlement, what benefits are available to you under the settlement, and how to get them.

etc, etc, etc...
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 10:35   #5
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I didnt get any notification about my account....hmmm
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 11:41   #6
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

eh read the JBG thing at top of forum
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 11:46   #7
Zaphod I
criminally insane

Zaphod I is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowMan
eh read the JBG thing at top of forum
According to JBG, the message should be sent only to those whose username starts with A, B or C. Shouldn't be a problem for anybody that have participated in this thread.

-Zaps
Zaphod I is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 11:50   #8
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

well if you think about it what would be the next logical step by a scammer spammer if ABC names had been done, reminding you that the punter who started this thread's nick begins with D.
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 11:54   #9
Zaphod I
criminally insane

Zaphod I is an unknown quantity at this point

True. Don't have much experience as being a spamming target, so I don't know these things... takes a while until I'll be bothered in this case, too

-Zaps
Zaphod I is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 12:40   #10
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

How does Jonny's announcment about nigerian scams in pm boxes on these forums have anything to do with an email about paypal?
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 12:47   #11
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

Can you read? Its a scam
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 12:50   #12
Obliterate

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

So, in conclusion - the only thing the two have in common is the word "scam". It appears you don't actually "get it", do you.
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 12:56   #13
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Can you read? Its a scam
just shut up. seriously.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 13:17   #14
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Can you read? Its a scam
That may well be, but they are two entirely different things.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 14:05   #15
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

So did it actually come from Paypal or from someone else? Given the things Paypal says to look for in scams is them being addressed to 'Paypal User' rather than your name (which it hasnt done) and asking for details like your bank account number or password (which it hasnt done) then I don't think it looks much like a scam. If the numbers for the hotshot lawyers are premium rate then maybe, or if upon calling said hotshot lawyers they start asking for details as mentioned above, but just from this mail it doesnt look much like a scam.

What is it that Paypal have done to let us sue them? I've had an account during that time and I wanna know if I can get free money.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 14:17   #16
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

forward it to

[email protected]

they will soon (48 hours) tell you
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 14:19   #17
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Can you read? Its a scam
No, it's not. There is an actual class action lawsuit against paypal. Google "Paypal class action lawsuit" for god's sake. Paypal ****ed a lot of people over a few years ago, so some lawyers are looking to get rich off of it. Remember, just because it's in the email, doesn't mean it's a scam. A little due diligence goes a long way.

Dilly, all that is is an invite for you to jump on the bandwagon. It doesn't mean they've lost or necessarily settled, just that the suit is filed and they've reached a preliminary settlement. If you've never had paypal freeze your account, you don't qualify.

More info
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 18:13   #18
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

It's real though certainly looks a bit dodgy.

https://www.paypal.com/settlement

that page says

Welcome to PayPal. You are about to be redirected to a non-PayPal site hosted by the claims administrator for the recently-announced class action settlement. At the site, you will be able to learn more about the litigation and class action settlement agreement.

It takes you to the dodgy looking http://www.settlement4onlinepayments.com/ but it is actually all legit.
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 18:17   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Can you read? Its a scam
You have the best logic in the world.

Next time we have an 'Is this legal?' thread, or something of that variety, will you direct them to the forum rules?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 18:29   #20
Obliterate

"PayPal users residing in European Union member countries are excluded from the class."

No free money for me!
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 18:46   #21
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
You have the best logic in the world.

Next time we have an 'Is this legal?' thread, or something of that variety, will you direct them to the forum rules?

probably if i'm not too busy trying to get a rise out of Phang
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 18:53   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
probably if i'm not too busy trying to get a rise out of Phang
Trolling is against the rules.
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 19:21   #23
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Ah, the glorious recourse of the damned.

"hahaha, you're taking this seriously!"
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 19:25   #24
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I am utterly confused. Is this taking place through the medium of the forums or something?
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 19:27   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I am utterly confused. Is this taking place through the medium of the forums or something?
It's neither through the forums nor a scam. It's an email describing an actual lawsuit.
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 19:27   #26
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
no. tsm is just very, VERY, VERY "simple".
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 19:37   #27
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Trolling is against the rules.
ah i i thought was just a nu-phrase for spamming kinda like metal and nu-metal

Point taken sorry to all
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 19:40   #28
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
no. tsm is just very, VERY, VERY "simple".
Oki is this an example of trolling? Or is phang being a spare prick again?
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 19:48   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
ah i i thought was just a nu-phrase for spamming kinda like metal and nu-metal

Point taken sorry to all
What the hell are you talking about?