User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 21 Mar 2005, 23:55   #1
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
BSc vs. BA

Last week I got an e-mail stating that if I had completed such modules (which i have), then I have the option to change my degree (even at this late stage) from BA Economics, to BSc Economics.

I can see pros and cons to both sides.

BSc Econ shows that I can do maths, and it is these modules that I tend to do well on (for example I was told I have the highest ever mark in the core econometrics course (one of the ones I needed to have passed to make it a BSc)). But I already have a job lined up, so I see little need to have it for this purpose.

On the other hand, I think I'm right in saying that Cambridge do not do BSc's at all (I'm sure Mark can comment on this if necessary) so if BA's are good enough for them, they're more than good enough for me.

I appreciate that it will probably make little difference, but do you feel there is more kudos attached to one than the other? Which shall I go for?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 23:56   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: BSc vs. BA

what's the difference between them ?

one is science one is arts ?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 23:57   #3
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
what's the difference between them ?

one is science one is arts ?
Bachelor of Arts vs Bachelor of Science, so yes.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 00:03   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

ok.

tbh, i don't think it matters **** all to anyone outside academia, so i'd say go with what you think you'll enjoy more.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 00:03   #5
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

BSc Baracus just doesn't sound right

but now the serious suggestion : go with science
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 00:07   #6
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Job lined up?
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 00:08   #7
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
so i'd say go with what you think you'll enjoy more.
That's the thing, it makes no difference to me, the modules I take (and I'm in my final semester at uni) are exactly the same. It merely is what letters do I want after my name.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 00:09   #8
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarak
Job lined up?
Come Autumn I shall be working in Nottingham for Deloitte.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 00:10   #9
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Come Autumn I shall be working in Nottingham for Deloitte.

Cool someone i've vaguely heard of
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 00:13   #10
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My politics degree gives me a Bsc Economics

i dont know why....
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 00:18   #11
Filth
Filtheh

Filth is a jewel in the roughFilth is a jewel in the roughFilth is a jewel in the roughFilth is a jewel in the rough

was gonna apply for BSc economics myself not BA

but after that im gonna have LLB after my name heh
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 00:28   #12
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm going for a BA, followed by an MA.

BSc does sound somewhat more respectable these days, because Science sounds cooler than Arts. Hell, the latter sounds a bit useless in today's environment. Having a Bachelor of Arts sounds like you're a painter, or a philosophy student.

However, once you know the historical context, being a Bachelor of the Artes Liberales sounds way cooler
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 01:06   #13
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

with any luck, i should end up with BSc MSc and CEng after my name. That is of course, if i manage to pull my finger out and get into uni
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 01:12   #14
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Mine goes BSc -> MSc (MChiro)

I also get to have Dr before my name \0/

Given the choice i'd go with the BSc.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 01:19   #15
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You can't have a Dr. with only a masters surely?

I'm gonna have Meng after my name at the end of this year (unless i **** up )

Stew - go with the Bsc, it'll stop people thinking "Bloody art student"

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 01:26   #16
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I wont have a doctorate but i'll be a Chiropractor and by law they are entitled to be referred to as doctors.

The doctorate would take my course to 6 years and at this point in time 5 is quite enough thanks.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 01:34   #17
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
My politics degree gives me a Bsc Economics

i dont know why....
same!

i don't get it either :/
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 02:27   #18
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

I would probably go with the BSc, it just sounds a bit better to me.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 03:05   #19
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

No difference to employers tbh if you do a BSc. They are apparently harder (for economics) - considering that most of the better unis in the UK don't offer BA for Economics anyway.

...but in this day and age when employers only seem to care whether you got a 1st or 2.1 in what they consider to be a good degree - i don't think the change will make any difference other than to make your life harder.

BSc Economics is just unnecessary maths imo. I'm a final year.

When i went for my interviews they didnt seem to give the slightest damn that i was doing a BSc. Only thing they cared about was my predicted grade.

I mean.... i was a candidate for various interviews among people doing shitty degrees like management, business studies, and other dual honour degrees. The only thing we had in common was that all of us were predicted 1sts (a few 2.1's).

So recommendation is - if the change to BSc will mean that you need to do more math modules (assuming harder) than don't change. If not then change.

Last edited by Zar; 22 Mar 2005 at 03:18.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 07:15   #20
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

honey i really can't for the life of me think how it would effect you.

accept that gentlemen have BAs
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 07:21   #21
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It won't make a shred of difference mate - just decide which you think looks nicer after your name.

Maybe in the past, when it was relatively unusual to have a degree, there would have been a difference, but not now.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 10:38   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
(I'm sure Mark can comment on this if necessary)
Every degree's a BA. If you continue to do stuff in the subject area it gets upped to an MA after three years.

If you do a 4 year course (only usually done in the sciences*), you get a subjectival Masters (MEng, MMath, MSci) as well as an MA.

*and only rewarded in the sciences.

This is largely because you're not studying any given subject, you're just part of the tripos.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 10:47   #23
DaWoodster
Registered abUser

DaWoodster is an unknown quantity at this point

Get the BSc, girls doing Sociology get BA's, you don't want people to think you're a girl do you?

Dr Paul Lord BSc(HONS), MSc, PhD, MACS, MACM, SMIEEE.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 10:48   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Girls doing Biology get BSci's thgough, you don't want people to think he's a girl do you?

The only way out of this is to drop out immediately.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 12:14   #25
Stew
Made of Twigs

Thanks for all the advice guys.

It looks like you have changed my opinion, and I shall be opting for the BSc.
(Sorry 1-X & Yahwe)
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 12:41   #26
Ragnarak

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice guys.

It looks like you have changed my opinion, and I shall be opting for the BSc.
(Sorry 1-X & Yahwe)
1-X said go with science.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 12:46   #27
DaWoodster
Registered abUser

* Vs Yahwe on the opinion yet again.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 12:46   #28
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalon
I wont have a doctorate but i'll be a Chiropractor and by law they are entitled to be referred to as doctors.
No they aren't. The only people "entitled" to be called "Doctor" are holders of doctorates. Everyone else who is called that (including medical doctors) is only called it by courtesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWoodster
Dr Paul Lord BSc(HONS), MSc, PhD, MACS, MACM, SMIEEE.
a) It's incorrect to use "Dr" and post-nominals at the same time.
b) It's also incorrect to use "BSc" and "MSc" at the same time, since they're different grades of the same thing.
c) If you're going to separate the different post-nominals with commas, put one after your name as well.
c) If you'd been to a proper university (read: Cambridge) you'd know that post-nominals are listed in descending, not ascending, order. You don't see the Duke of Grafton putting his DL before his KG.

</pedantry>
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 12:58   #29
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
b) It's also incorrect to use "BSc" and "MSc" at the same time, since they're different grades of the same thing.

At the end of the year i'll have a BSc in Biochem with Genetics and an MSc in Biomolecular Technology, they arent the same subject so i'll be pretty pissed off if I cant use both.

I guess you are mean someone who has done an 'undergraduate masters' cant use both?
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 13:02   #30
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
1-X said go with science.
My bad, all I could remember was his BSc Baracus' part.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 13:04   #31
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

At the end of the year i'll have a BSc in Biochem with Genetics and an MSc in Biomolecular Technology, they arent the same subject so i'll be pretty pissed off if I cant use both.

I guess you are mean someone who has done an 'undergraduate masters' cant use both?
Just wondering if one of you can answer this question then.

I'm in the last year of my 4 year MPhys physics undergraduate course. As i passed my third year does this mean I'm already entitled to use BSc as that is what i've have had if i'd only done 3 years. That seems to be what Proteus is saying.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 13:09   #32
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

No, you can't use MSc and BSc at the same time, no matter what subjects you studied to get them, as it would be silly to claim to be both a Bachelor of Science and a Master of Science at the same time. If you want to have lots of letters after your name, you have to plan your degrees so as to end up with lots of different types.

If I were to stay after my degree and do a Classics MPhil, for instance, and then a PhD in History, I'd only be able to use the PhD after my name, as you can't use "Master of Philosophy" and "Doctor of Philosophy" at the same time. As if that weren't bad enough, I'd also lose my BA (or, by then, MA), as the Cambridge PhD is taken to include an MA.

It's similar to how John Smith, MBE, is appointed OBE (the next grade up in the Order) and becomes John Smith, OBE, not John Smith, OBE, MBE.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 13:10   #33
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I do Bsc Economics and wish I got given a chance to do less maths, if I did I'd take it.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 13:15   #34
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Just wondering if one of you can answer this question then.

I'm in the last year of my 4 year MPhys physics undergraduate course. As i passed my third year does this mean I'm already entitled to use BSc as that is what i've have had if i'd only done 3 years. That seems to be what Proteus is saying.
You can't have any degree unless you've graduated, which I guess you won't have done if you're on an undergraduate course. I don't know how your university works, but when Cambridge does this you get both degrees at the end of the fourth year (even though you're entitled to graduate in the lower one from the end of the third year), as that way you stay an undergraduate throughout the course and the university gets more money from the Government.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 13:18   #35
DaWoodster
Registered abUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
I do Bsc Economics and wish I got given a chance to do less maths, if I did I'd take it.
Switch to a BA then...
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 13:23   #36
Ragnarak

Quote:
You can't have any degree unless you've graduated, which I guess you won't have done if you're on an undergraduate course. I don't know how your university works, but when Cambridge does this you get both degrees at the end of the fourth year (even though you're entitled to graduate in the lower one from the end of the third year), as that way you stay an undergraduate throughout the course and the university gets more money from the Government.
Cheers. Tthat would make more sense.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 13:47   #37
Ragnarak

I just (literally) got offered a PhD, do i get to still use my MPhys with my PhD?
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 13:57   #38
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
I just (literally) got offered a PhD, do i get to still use my MPhys with my PhD?
Yes.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 13:59   #39
Stew
Made of Twigs

Proteus, I'm not sure you're right, my lecturers seems to use all of them, and in ascending order on their staff profile pages. I think you just may be talking about when you abbreviate it for professional use, as oppose to academic.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 14:13   #40
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Proteus, I'm not sure you're right, my lecturers seems to use all of them, and in ascending order on their staff profile pages. I think you just may be talking about when you abbreviate it for professional use, as oppose to academic.
I have Debrett's to back me up, whereas your lecturers almost certainly only have their egos on their side. (And there's no such thing as "academic use". Post-nominals are a device to show someone's status and honours, not a convenient way of listing every degree they've ever had.)

As far as the order goes, my reference to a "proper" university hid the complexity of the situation. Most universities recommend the "ascending" order, and Cambridge is one of the few that do not. However, the order of post-nominals is not a matter for universities to decide, but for the Crown, and it has always used descending order of seniority (in a very strict order, which I won't bore you by listing). As usual, the academic world thinks it's a law unto itself, when it's not.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 14:47   #41
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Go for the BA since Economics isnt a science.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 14:50   #42
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
No, you can't use MSc and BSc at the same time, no matter what subjects you studied to get them, as it would be silly to claim to be both a Bachelor of Science and a Master of Science at the same time. If you want to have lots of letters after your name, you have to plan your degrees so as to end up with lots of different types.

If I were to stay after my degree and do a Classics MPhil, for instance, and then a PhD in History, I'd only be able to use the PhD after my name, as you can't use "Master of Philosophy" and "Doctor of Philosophy" at the same time. As if that weren't bad enough, I'd also lose my BA (or, by then, MA), as the Cambridge PhD is taken to include an MA.

If you had your BSc in a different subject from your MSc then you would list both degrees regardless of what innanely pointless social conventions you seem to have picked up.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 17:00   #43
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

I never knew Proteus was such an arrogant twat
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 17:27   #44
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
If you had your BSc in a different subject from your MSc then you would list both degrees regardless of what innanely pointless social conventions you seem to have picked up.
You might do that, but it wouldn't stop you being wrong. But I don't care, to be honest - it's not like I'm going to fire-bomb your house and murder your parents just because you want more letters after your name.

(Out of curiosity, if you had, say, five different undergraduate degrees, all "BSc"s, in different subjects (like one of those people who goes around collecting degrees), would you call yourself "Gordon Ross, BSc, BSc, BSc, BSc, BSc"?)
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 17:34   #45
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Every degree's a BA. If you continue to do stuff in the subject area it gets upped to an MA after three years.
21 terms after matriculation.

there's no requirement of 'doing stuff'
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 17:36   #46
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
you'd just have recieved the degree twice, you wouldn't be BSc twice.

on first receiving your degree you are elevated to the status of BSc, on receiving your second degree you have nowhere to be elevated to; you're still just a BSc

why're we getting all nerdy(nerdier) by the way?
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 17:48   #47
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
21 terms after matriculation.

there's no requirement of 'doing stuff'
You're not allowed to get divorced though in that time are you?
At least that's what I was told by a mate at Cambridge.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 17:50   #48
Yahwe
I am.

do people not think the truth is oxbridge is strange enough without having to invent stuff?
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 18:09   #49
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Dear god this thread has a lot of unnecessary words.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 18:10   #50
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWoodster
Switch to a BA then...
I don't go Stew's university
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote