User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Nov 2004, 21:54   #1
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
So, erm, webhosting. Explain this to me

Why is it that a company in Turkey can charge my mate $24 for a YEAR hosting (unlimited bandwidth and, allegedly, unlimited storage) whilst the best deals i can find elsewhere are around $5-$6 a month and have more limits on them than a Paedophile on parole?

What kind of difference is there in the two companies? Will one company have crap servers in a country where life and memory are cheap, and technicians arent hired, they actually own the company, and the other be in Turkey?
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 21:55   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: So, erm, webhosting. Explain this to me

Yeah there's probably cost of living / business cost differences from country to country. I'd imagine that in US Dollar terms things like electricity, labour and premises, etc are cheaper in Turkey than in the UK.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 21:57   #3
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Yeah there's probably cost of living / business cost differences from country to country. I'd imagine that in US Dollar terms things like electricity, labour and premises, etc are cheaper in Turkey than in the UK.
So why dont I just create a webhosting company, base my business in the Ukraine but market it in the UK and then advertise myself at UK prices whilst paying Ukranian cost of living/business costs?
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 22:06   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There's nothing stopping you doing that, although there's probably tax implications*. But basing yourself in a low-cost region and selling in a high-cost region is hardly a revolutionary business notion.

* = It's possible your Turkish friends aren't being 100% legitimate in their tax arrangements.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 22:23   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Also most UK providers sell things like support and backup as a non-negotiable inclusion in even the lowest priced option, whereas I suspect the response your mate would get should disaster strike would be along the lines of "I sorry? I no speak good english. Backup?".
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 22:28   #6
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: So, erm, webhosting. Explain this to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
They may be getting free/subsidized bandwidth too.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 22:45   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
They may be getting free/subsidized bandwidth too.
It's probably a hacked public ftp at a Turkish university.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 23:31   #8
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My webhosting costs me around €25 a year, including .net domain name.

This may be mainly due to the fact it's run by a bunch of 15- and 16-year olds. The hosting is actually surprisingly good if you take the price into account. The worst I've had was a few days of downtime because one of the servers - which incidentally are not a few random boxes in a bedroom, but actual servers located at a high quality server storage facility - had a mobo meltdown, and MySQL once fell over for an evening or so.

But at 350Mb, 10Gb a month datatraffic, unlimited MySQL, email, own cPanel and all that goodness for €1,- a month, I'm not complaining about a little bit of downtime
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 23:35   #9
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

and then some people like myself get hosting for free because I'm fortunate enough to know enough people with dedicated servers
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 23:55   #10
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy

This may be mainly due to the fact it's run by a bunch of 15- and 16-year olds. The hosting is actually surprisingly good if you take the price into account. The worst I've had was a few days of downtime because one of the servers - which incidentally are not a few random boxes in a bedroom, but actual servers located at a high quality server storage facility - had a mobo meltdown, and MySQL once fell over for an evening or so.

But at 350Mb, 10Gb a month datatraffic, unlimited MySQL, email, own cPanel and all that goodness for €1,- a month, I'm not complaining about a little bit of downtime
25 / 12 != 1
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 23:56   #11
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy
25 / 12 != 1
Quote:
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 23:59   #12
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

including

Thus it does not cost you one euro per month, it costs you just over two, as the DNS record is part of the deal.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 23:59   #13
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

leshy, do your lot run php? where're they hosted and what's the deal with going over bandwidth limit?

-mist
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 00:09   #14
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Thus it does not cost you one euro per month, it costs you just over two, as the DNS record is part of the deal.
The actual hosting, of which I listed the details below, costs €1,- a month. I've chosen to register my domain name through the same company, costing me an additional €13,- a year, bringing the total amount to €25,- yearly.

@mist:
Yes, they run PHP, MySQL and the whole works. They're hosted in Amsterdam at Redbus Interhouse, and they have a Fair Use Policy regarding data traffic, with a soft limit at 10GB a month for the €1,- package. Ergo, if you happen to go over somewhat now and then, it doesn't cost you anything extra.

They're a dutch company though, so I have no idea if they're willing to take on foreign customers, or whether they're still accepting right now, as I believe they're currently pushing capacity limits, and having an extra server installed somewhere coming month.
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 00:39   #15
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road

Mine is expensive but goddamn good. Well its not REALLY expensive, but it is nevertheless.
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 01:30   #16
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

what do you get ftp access wise, and any idea how much use of sql they'd accept before getting angry? (site i'm developing seems to be racking up about 1/2mb of data a day, which doesn't seem particularly much, but for €1 it seems sensible to check)

-mist
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 23:14   #17
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road

R>C>P for me
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 23:27   #18
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
sorry to go against you here, but webhosting costs you 12 a year then, rather than 25
That's why I noted that the total price I mentioned had the cost for my domain registration included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
what do you get ftp access wise, and any idea how much use of sql they'd accept before getting angry? (site i'm developing seems to be racking up about 1/2mb of data a day, which doesn't seem particularly much, but for €1 it seems sensible to check)
Regular FTP access, and presumably SQL size is only limited by your free webspace.
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 23:42   #19
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
I can't say bread costs me 25 euros a year, including beer
It's more like saying dinner costs you a certain amount, including drinks. But this whole nonsense is completely irrelevant, so I don't know why we're still going on about it.
Quote:
btw, is this domain name a .com/.net/.org ? check godaddy.com when the renewal date arrives, you might find it cheaper there
It's a .net - see signature and all that. It's probably cheaper elsewhere, but the added hassle of going through hoops to keep the domain name isn't really worth the difference to me.
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 23:46   #20
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My hosting is £30/year including php,PERL,mysql,ftp,unlimited pop3/imap mail addresses etc.
I administrate the domain name myself (it's a .net) last renewal was about £12 for 2 years I think.
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 09:54   #21
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

I pay $60 a month and at the minute the server seems to be down.
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 10:22   #22
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

My hosting (100Mb, 1GB/m transfer- both more than adequate for my needs) with PHP and unlimited MySQL DBs costs me nothing (but even if I did pay, it's £19.99 for a year...)
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 11:14   #23
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

PS: I have learnt the hard way to never ever EVER let a hosting company register a domain name for you.
The people who used to provide my hosting before I moved because they were crap (constant downtime, terrible transfer rates when actually working) registered mine, and when I wanted to move they simply did not answer any emails or phonecalls requesting that they hand over administration of the domain to me.
In the end I had to trawl my own whois record, found that luckily I was listed as the administrative contact, and used that to ask the domain registrar the company had used to transfer ownership of it to an account I setup with them. I then transfered the domain from that registrar to the registrar I wanted to use.

Job done, but it wasn't half a pain in the arse.
Unread 30 Nov 2004, 17:25   #24
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

My mate has unlimited web space and unlimited bandwidth for £56 per month, plus he can then charge space out to plebs like you for whatever he likes. He currently has about 20 people paying £50 per year to host with him. So yeah, people are paying him to have unlimited space and bandwith - thats cool.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2004, 22:33   #25
skiddy
wild one

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTester
My mate has unlimited web space and unlimited bandwidth for £56 per month, plus he can then charge space out to plebs like you for whatever he likes. He currently has about 20 people paying £50 per year to host with him. So yeah, people are paying him to have unlimited space and bandwith - thats cool.
OMG He's so cool!

I wish I were just like him.
Unread 30 Nov 2004, 22:46   #26
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
OMG He's so cool!

I wish I were just like him.
You can be! And while you're at it, enlarge your penis, buy a diploma and pay off your mortgage!
Unread 30 Nov 2004, 23:10   #27
skiddy
wild one

Quote:
You can be! And while you're at it, enlarge your penis, buy a diploma and pay off your mortgage!
I've no aspirations of becoming Idler.