User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 2 Jul 2007, 16:06   #1
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
iphone

I'm 'against' touch screen devices because of a terrible childhood where one of those static 'touch' VCRs was in the family and i spent many an hour screaming at the thing for not working*. I also dislike the finger marks they show and find them difficult to use with my large hands. So things don't necesarrily look good. What shocked me most about the iphone however was this

Quote:
The device costs either $499 or $599 and buyers must also commit to a two-year contract with AT&T that will cost them a minimum of $59.99 per month.
Jesus Haytch Christ.

*Anything that includes the word 'touch' is a turn off for me
Unread 2 Jul 2007, 16:35   #2
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts
Re: iphone

Buying a apple product is like putting your penis in a meat grinder.
Sure, you might be cool when you do it and chicks may dig you there and then, but when you turn it on you will regret it for the rest of your life

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2007, 21:38   #3
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It would only have been good if it used the circular I-Pod direction thing, and instead of pushing buttons to get numbers, it was like those old phones and you used your finger on the ring to bring it round to the correct number.
Unread 2 Jul 2007, 21:50   #4
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

What I'm bothered most, is the lack of a physical keyboard. I mean, I'm using E60 and faring well with internet browsing, and granted, while a touch screen might be better, it'll attract those fingerprints and dirt, plus while they claim it's very solid, I bet it's able take some damage too. Phones travel in pockets, after all. I'd probably experience lots of trouble with the touch screen keyboard anyways.

And was it that there's no 3G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfather
Buying a apple product is like putting your penis in a meat grinder.
Seconded.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2007, 21:09   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Why don't they supply a stylus?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2007, 21:17   #6
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

large hands you say?

how tall are you?
Unread 5 Jul 2007, 22:59   #7
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

the phone is too big from what i've seen. all this hype is annoying. all i want is a phone with a big enough memory to make my mp3 player redundant an okay camera and a usable interface. i've 2 out of 3 at the moment. shouldn't be too long until phones come with more memory. the only problem is that the memory sticks are in proprietary formats.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2007, 23:19   #8
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

6ft4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks

I thought the same thing, probably because it would detract from the sleek look. I've used PDAs with styluses and whilst im sure after awhile the inelegance becomes normal it is a pain to have to take out the stylus from the back of the PDA (assuming they've cut out a place to store it) and carefully stab the screen. igod says the iphone is years ahead of its rivals (with silly styluses).

Its also beginning to feel to me like its really being 'marketed' instead of being 'truly revolutionary', i mean sure it has an accelerometer that automatically turns the screen from portrait to landscape (and thus they've eliminated one step on the user interface...) but so what??

What id really like is some of this made into a little book, of roughly notepad size or a little smaller. So you can put something different on every page
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 00:40   #9
Maladoni
Infrequent

Maladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfather
Sure, you might be cool when you do it and chicks may dig you there and then, but when you turn it on you will regret it for the rest of your life
Steve Jobs was overheard to say "I was informed you were the most beautiful woman ever to visit Casablanca. That was a gross understatement."
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 04:23   #10
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: iphone

Quote:
I'd guess because a stylus wouldn't be able to take advantage of the multitouch screen. Also, the iPhone requires input from something that approximates the electrical characteristics of human skin. I don't know how expensive that would be but most current styli won't work with an iPhone.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 05:55   #11
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

I say for the amount of money they're charging they could've at least made the hard drive bigger than 2GB and 4GB...it's not worth the price. I'd rather just get a newer version of the iPod for half the price and just have a separate cell.
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 07:47   #12
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
6ft4
:thankyougod:

Please say you're coming on the 14th?
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 11:57   #13
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
the phone is too big from what i've seen. all this hype is annoying. all i want is a phone with a big enough memory to make my mp3 player redundant an okay camera and a usable interface. i've 2 out of 3 at the moment. shouldn't be too long until phones come with more memory. the only problem is that the memory sticks are in proprietary formats.
I guess the "best" one here at the moment would be Nokia N91, with 8GB tops. Granted, the screen isn't the best of Nokia (176 by 208), but Symbian 60 3rd is a very nice interface (at least that's what I feel), and a "decent" camera too. Granted, it's not great, nor "revolutionary" as the iPhone touch screen, but. Yeah. Maybe you are right.
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 12:01   #14
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Anyone who listens to music on their phone on public transport without headphones is a ****.

No exceptions.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 12:19   #15
Tietäjä
Good Son

People do that too? I thought that only goes for the people who travel around with the ghettoblasters.
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 13:03   #16
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
I say for the amount of money they're charging they could've at least made the hard drive bigger than 2GB and 4GB...it's not worth the price. I'd rather just get a newer version of the iPod for half the price and just have a separate cell.
The amount of solid state memory is more than 2GB and 4GB. The Smaller model has 4GB and for another $100 you get 8GB.

And I'm not sure its really that over priced, $499 is about £250 which for a first generation product isnt that high. If your an early adopter your always going to pay more for a product after all as the production costs are higher. You would expect the price to fall as product ramps up, especially with future versions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
And was it that there's no 3G?
Why would you include 3G in a phone for the US market? Its not like the UK, the 3G networks are very limited and as such it makes more sense to use a 2.75G set-up using EDGE.

There are rumours floating that the UK release will have 3G support
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 13:21   #17
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
And I'm not sure its really that over priced, $499 is about £250 which for a first generation product isnt that high.
Also, there are rumors around that the European versions will be more expensive than the American ones. Electronics, at large, is more expensive here than in the US. They say 299£ for the 4GB, 399£ for the 8GB. That is, 600$ to 800$. Again, these are rumors. Pretty much like the 3G, but then again if it will come with 3G in Europe, you will most certainly face a price increase.

Quote:
There are rumours floating that the UK release will have 3G support
No clue. I didn't think they'd make two different releases, but that'll explain the lack of 3G on the US model. On the other hand, one could also think that you'd get off easier just mass producing one model, selling it everywhere, with a price premium on top to make for the .5 extra G. Or at least an advertisement plan not to appear "weaker than the others" on that pitch.
Unread 7 Jul 2007, 23:53   #18
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
I thought the same thing, probably because it would detract from the sleek look. I've used PDAs with styluses and whilst im sure after awhile the inelegance becomes normal it is a pain to have to take out the stylus from the back of the PDA (assuming they've cut out a place to store it) and carefully stab the screen.
I guess. I've got used to using one these days, and can "type" reasonably, but it's obviously still annoying. Better interfaces and tweaked auto-complete stuff makes the world of difference. Fortunately "Mobile" Word isn't as bad as the desktop version, but I still find it a pain when word/excel "helpfully" unformats something I've spent a while doing. The basic file explorer is my main grumble - some of the "features" re:file associations (for instance) are roughly at the level of Win3.1. Also, there's no decent drawing tool which I don't really understand, nor the inability for MS to develop visual organisational models beyond drag and drop.

I'd quite like for a slightly larger (or extendable) stylus because then it would be more satisfying to fidget with. (Shut up)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tact
I'd guess because a stylus wouldn't be able to take advantage of the multitouch screen. Also, the iPhone requires input from something that approximates the electrical characteristics of human skin. I don't know how expensive that would be but most current styli won't work with an iPhone.
Fair enough, I've deliberatelty avoided reading anything on the subject for a variety of reasons. But does this mean you can't use it wearing even very thin gloves? The survey projects I work on have quite an issue dealing with weather conditions as it is, telling people they'll need to take off their gloves in November won't please them.

Oh, and without GPS I won't ever care about one of these things.
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 02:41   #19
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: iphone

Quote:
Fair enough, I've deliberatelty avoided reading anything on the subject for a variety of reasons. But does this mean you can't use it wearing even very thin gloves?
Apparently not; although someone may come out with iPhone compatible gloves.

I've never been able to use any mobile phone while wearing my winter gloves, so I have no expectations in that regard.
Quote:
Oh, and without GPS I won't ever care about one of these things.
I expect they'll add that on at some point. Apple seems to prefer to add features/capacity over lowering the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
Also, there are rumors around that the European versions will be more expensive than the American ones. Electronics, at large, is more expensive here than in the US.
Tariffs?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 02:49   #20
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The new Nokia N95 has GPS, I'm going to be getting it.
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 14:06   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
The new Nokia N95 has GPS, I'm going to be getting it.
A friend has one, it's pretty cool although I've not used it extensively. Apparently the GPS features aren't as good as in the US where it uses mobile phone tower data to work out very roughly where you are while GPS takes it's time getting a lock.