User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 7 Feb 2008, 17:17   #1
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society
Physics (?) Question

How would you go about calculating how much helium would be required to lift a certain weight and by extension what volume of space is required to enclose the helium?

I assume this amount of helium required would vary with altitude so let's set the altitude at 1000m. To help me work out other things could whoever is good enough to show me how to do this do it for an altitude of 2000m also. The weights should be 1k and 10kg.

Also what value of hyrdogen would i need to do this for hydrogen?

Thanks.
You Are Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2008, 21:00   #2
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Physics (?) Question

What is the temperature? And does the temperature rise or fall if we go up? (although you want to lift a certain weight so I guess overcoming 'gravity' at a certain point would be enough)

Oh and what is the outside pressure or do we asume 'normal conditions' (whatever that may be)... you need to specify your 'expiriment' a bit.
Unread 7 Feb 2008, 23:11   #3
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light

Helium rises because it's lighter than air, in order to lift a given weight you need to provide enough helium for the relation to the same volume of air being the same as the weight of the object you are lifting or more. As the object rises, you have to provide again enough new lift to overcome the effect of gravity on the object as it rises. Temperature will effect the volume of the gases and the ratios of helium to air and thus the lift-capacity of a unit of helium.

Physics formulae I don't know, but atleast that's the principle of it.
Unread 8 Feb 2008, 00:15   #4
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Tzu
Helium rises because it's lighter than air, in order to lift a given weight you need to provide enough helium for the relation to the same volume of air being the same as the weight of the object you are lifting or more. As the object rises, you have to provide again enough new lift to overcome the effect of gravity on the object as it rises. Temperature will effect the volume of the gases and the ratios of helium to air and thus the lift-capacity of a unit of helium.

Physics formulae I don't know, but atleast that's the principle of it.
How come you're so smart? <3
Unread 8 Feb 2008, 00:16   #5
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

how come you're a turk?
Unread 8 Feb 2008, 00:19   #6
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

I'm not, you simpleton. Not even close.

Last edited by Alessio; 8 Feb 2008 at 00:27.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2008, 00:34   #7
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yeah you are. You even smell like a Turk.
Unread 8 Feb 2008, 01:17   #8
Alessio
deserves a medal

I never smell Turks, so I wouldn't know.

But Furball, when you were sniffing a Turk, you might've smelled some familiar, yet unpleasant odors. But since we've never met you cannot know how I smell. So when you were sniffing a Turk you might've thought of me, but whatever the smell resembled, it certainly wasn't me. However, that Turk could've smelled like something that you do know. Your dad's penis for example. Or it could even have reminded you of some cool person that you've met in your life, in which case it is understandable that you made the connection with me.

Last edited by Alessio; 8 Feb 2008 at 01:58.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2008, 04:41   #9
QazokRouge5
Back from timeout.

QazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the rough

There's different grades of helium if memory serves...
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahwe
Gay ducks only do it because it impresses their peers.
QazokRouge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2008, 12:44   #10
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society

OK thinking about it more i guess it's maybe the density of the gas that matters (hyrdogen, helium and air). The density alters with temperature and pressure so say the temperature stays constant you just need to know the pressure at 1000m and 2000m (which is and respectively).

The air density thing shows you how to calculate it at altitude but i'm not the best with calculations.

Anyways ... i still need help please.
You Are Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2008, 13:26   #11
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think this calls for an experiment using a plane an an infinite runway!
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2008, 13:34   #12
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Maybe make it so the runway is like a threadmill.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2008, 13:35   #13
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Genius!
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 15 Feb 2008, 16:59   #14
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

the density of helium is

0.1786 g/L

and air is

1.2 g/L

so the difference is about 1g/l.

work out the mass of the thing you want to lift in grams, and then you need about that many litres of (pure) helium - you also have to include the container of course in the mass calculations, since you need tp pick that up too..

I did this while drunk, picking up wine glasses with party balloons - though admittedly the helium was probably not very pure. it took a suprisingly large number, actually.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2008, 17:32   #15
All Systems Go

That's a cool party trick, but do you have to bring your own helium and balloons with you?
Unread 15 Feb 2008, 23:55   #16
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
the density of helium is

0.1786 g/L

and air is

1.2 g/L

so the difference is about 1g/l.

work out the mass of the thing you want to lift in grams, and then you need about that many litres of (pure) helium - you also have to include the container of course in the mass calculations, since you need tp pick that up too..

I did this while drunk, picking up wine glasses with party balloons - though admittedly the helium was probably not very pure. it took a suprisingly large number, actually.
that's cheap glasses for you
Unread 15 Feb 2008, 23:55   #17
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
That's a cool party trick, but do you have to bring your own helium and balloons with you?
as you can guess he gets invited to as many parties as you do
Unread 16 Feb 2008, 15:13   #18
All Systems Go

Whereever I go a party just develops.

Invitations are for losers.
Unread 16 Feb 2008, 19:14   #19
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
that's cheap glasses for you
fortunately, since we smashed a few.

Unread 16 Feb 2008, 19:15   #20
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
no, but we had to take our own liquid nitrogen.

Unread 17 Feb 2008, 01:41   #21
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Funny enough I did the same thing at my mates wedding only using cutlery instead. It didn't take an overwhelming quantity of balloons either. It was quite amusing as the odd knife or fork floated its way infront of the audience during the reception speach.
Unread 17 Feb 2008, 01:43   #22
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
Funny enough I did the same thing at my mates wedding only using cutlery instead. It didn't take an overwhelming quantity of balloons either. It was quite amusing as the odd knife or fork floated its way infront of the audience during the reception speach.
We can only imagine the arguements the engaged couple had over inviting you ...
Unread 17 Feb 2008, 14:09   #23
All Systems Go

Quote:
no, but we had to take our own liquid nitrogen.
and a bottle of wine?