User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 27 Sep 2006, 21:05   #1
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold
colours

This questions seems to spin around in my head far too often for my liking so i thought id let all you psueodo philosophers take it.
Any way i was wondering is it possible there are colours out there, say on other planets that no one has ever seen or do all colours have to come from the spectrum of light? If you try and imagine a new colour it seems impossible to think of any based on anything except derivitives of primary colours. Also my brain at least doesnt want to imagine anything it has never seen before. If you can get your head round picturing a new colour then get your head round naming it
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2006, 21:37   #2
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold
Re: colours

hmm i was only person in my higher physics class to Get an A but sorry to say those facts still passed me by :/
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2006, 21:37   #3
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

If i try to think of a new color I just get some sparkly white/yellow
I don't think that would be an actual new color but more of a sparkly mix of colors ;/
Kinda like the color those dots have that you see when you close your eyes after not having slept for ages
So that doesn't really counts imo, if I would have to name it I would call it Lessi

after that I tried to think of a color beyond white, but I couldnt do it
Then I tried to imagine a color which would be beyond black, but that didnt work out either

I don't think we can think of any colors outside the known spectrum,
I keep ending up just mixing and brightening them
Unread 27 Sep 2006, 23:45   #4
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm patenting the colour Pargh. Nobody can use that colour without paying me a CONSIDERABLE sum.
Unread 28 Sep 2006, 00:21   #5
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In terms of the visible light spectrum obviously not, but theres no logical reason why you couldnt perceive a new colour as a result of (eg) someone fiddling around inside your brain with electric rods or taking some crazy drug or whatever. Maybe there'll be some bizarro eye implant in the future that lets you perceive light outside the range of the visible spectrum and gamma rays will be a sort of greenish purple!
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2006, 00:28   #6
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
In terms of the visible light spectrum obviously not, but theres no logical reason why you couldnt perceive a new colour as a result of (eg) someone fiddling around inside your brain with electric rods or taking some crazy drug or whatever. Maybe there'll be some bizarro eye implant in the future that lets you perceive light outside the range of the visible spectrum and gamma rays will be a sort of greenish purple!

It's your eyes not your brain dude. Also women can see more colours than men (apparantly).
Unread 28 Sep 2006, 00:29   #7
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
octarine
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2006, 01:45   #8
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
It's your eyes not your brain dude.
Not as such, you can see colours with your eyes shut or while dreaming etc. I see no a priori reason why a kid who had been raised in a purely black and white enviorment wouldnt be able to dream in colour, or have the experience of seeing red if you fiddled around in its brain.

Quote:
Also women can see more colours than men (apparantly).
I doubt this is true if you mean it literally.

Last edited by Nodrog; 28 Sep 2006 at 01:54.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2006, 03:41   #9
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I dont see why not aliens would be able to perceive different colours, assuming that they could see outside our visible light spectrum. We wont really be able to see those colours though :\
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2006, 09:21   #10
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's your eyes not your brain dude. Also women can see more colours than men (apparantly).
Nod pointed this out already but that's not true. The optical nerve is only responsible for distinguishing between different wave lengths of light, but how those differences are interpreted are entirely up to the brain. There have been documented cases for example of people who interpret different sounds as colours because the sound information coming from their ears is being sent to the area of their brain normally associated with interpreting visual information.

I would imagine it is entirely possible for some individuals that they may experience colours as something completely different to what other people would, the concept of colour is abstract in this context.
Unread 28 Sep 2006, 10:16   #11
Mitc
NASA Health & Safety

Mitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Also women can see more colours than men (apparantly).
I think your right. I swear I can't tell the difference between the fifty million variation of the colour beige produced by the paint companies.

Wife > "Do you prefer Barley White, Wheat Twist or Oat Milk?"
Me > "They're all beige. Get the cheapest."
Wife > "Cretin."

Maybe they (females) can see more subtle changes in shade than us fellas. Or maybe we just don't care enough about wall colour.
Unread 29 Sep 2006, 22:15   #12
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
I doubt this is true if you mean it literally.
If he did mean it literally then the question has no meaning cos colour is continuous and men are discrete hurrrr
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2006, 22:32   #13
Saphi
Leo's Pwn :P

Saphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these parts

the Colours we see are made up from RBG (Red Blue and Green) these are the primary colours of the phsyical world ....

If we could see waves (mirco, gamma and such waves) they still would have a colour defined by RBG percentages.

I would like to see these facts proved wrong though just to prove what be believe now is wrong.

But synthenisea (when music is played some people see colours this is synthenisea) could be an example of when new colours come up.
------------------------------------------------
The answers you seek are not here
Saphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2006, 00:13   #14
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I would name my new color Dace and it would only be visible to civil servants.
Unread 30 Sep 2006, 01:15   #15
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I've decided to jazz this thread up with some philosophical razmataz, partly because it has been rather silly thus far and partly because I spent three hours in a workshop yesterday discussing this nonsense.

The following is an argument by Frank Jackson, it is about a girl named Mary.

Mary is a super scientist, she has spent her entire life stuck inside a room learning all the physical facts about the world. Assume for the sake of argument that she has learned all these facts, assume she has perfect knowledge.

Now I said she had been trapped inside this room. One thing you should know about this room is that everything within it is in black and white. The TV, the books, the bed, everything. If you like, assume that while Mary is in this room, she has never seen anything other than black and white.

We mentioned that Mary is a super scientist. Let us suppose, she knows of all the physical information there is to obtain about what goes on when we see ripe tomatoes, or the sky, and use terms like ‘red’, ‘blue’, and so on.

What will happen when we release Mary from her black and white room? Suppose upon her release that somebody hands her a dozen red roses; her response is likely to be something like "Ah! so that's what the colour red really looks like!"

Remember we said earlier that Mary knew all of the physical facts about the world. It seems however, that her knowledge was incomplete. Leading to the inevitable conclusion that there are some facts about the world that are non-physical.

This might seem to many of you to be a completely obvious conclusion; but let me assure you, it is quite controversial. Especially with those who believe that a complete physical (ie materialist) conception of the universe is possible. Particularly scientists working on artificial intelligence programming, who assume that one day it will be possible to create a 'perfect artificial copy' of human consciousness.

There are dozens of objections to this argument, none of which have been particularly conclusive. It is an interesting thought experiment nonetheless.
Unread 30 Sep 2006, 01:30   #16
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

:antipodeans:
Unread 30 Sep 2006, 02:40   #17
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

I've always wondered if what I see to be the colour blue etc is the same as what everyone else sees to be the colour blue. For all I know, someone could see it as green, they've just been told that it's blue since they've been a child (if that makes any sense)
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2006, 02:52   #18
Furious
SpamBot

Furious will become famous soon enoughFurious will become famous soon enough

Have you ever tried to explain what a colour looks like to a blind person?

Try it.

Explain Blue

<TomKat> my signature is the greatest on the entire internet
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote