User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 5 May 2003, 11:34   #1
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Latest Opera Update

Has anyone who's got this noticed that Opera now used stupid amounts of memory?
When it loads, task-manager reports around 30mb being used (thats for 3/4 net windows and mail/news), but after any significant time, this rockets to 80 or 90, which is just absurd
Its incredible and all, and i'm pretty sure IE would be worse, but is there anyway (apart from restarting) to stop it?
Unread 5 May 2003, 11:38   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Sounds like a memory leak.

Silly chickens, those Opera coders.

http://my.opera.com/forums/showthrea...threadid=18494
Unread 5 May 2003, 12:50   #3
Toop
Banned

Toop is an unknown quantity at this point
I didn't like the opera 7 look, so I'm still using 6.05 . It uses only 10 megs or so
Toop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2003, 14:24   #4
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
www.avantbrowser.com :nodrog:
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2003, 14:28   #5
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I'll thrown an 'Opera is gay' response in.

The GUI takes up more room than I like, it has bugged out on various HTML constructs before now, it feels slow, stupid, and I don't particularly like the tabbed interface it defaults to.

What with it being gay, and all.

Note to Nodrog: These opinions are malformed and i'd appreciate your not blowing my opinions out of the water with your pro-Opera stance.
Cheers.
Unread 5 May 2003, 15:10   #6
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
The GUI takes up more room than I like,
Due to mouse gestures, you can trim the interface down to the menu bar, address bar and the tab bar. Which means the interface is no bigger than the Internet Explorer one, but with tabs and with a Google/AllTheWeb/Lycos/Amazon.com/EBay/etc search bar, instead of without.
Quote:
it has bugged out on various HTML constructs before now,
Mostly because the HTML in question itself is bugged in order to have it work properly in MSIE. Unfortunate, but hardly Opera's fault.
Quote:
it feels slow
Pages load much faster in Opera than in other browsers.
Unread 5 May 2003, 15:29   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
Due to mouse gestures, you can trim the interface down to the menu bar, address bar and the tab bar. Which means the interface is no bigger than the Internet Explorer one, but with tabs and with a Google/AllTheWeb/Lycos/Amazon.com/EBay/etc search bar, instead of without.
Mostly because the HTML in question itself is bugged in order to have it work properly in MSIE. Unfortunate, but hardly Opera's fault.
Pages load much faster in Opera than in other browsers.
I use mouse gestures in IE with StrokeIt, and have a Nod-esque layout for IE, there are multiple bugs that relate to non-HTML4.0 conformance which IE seems perfectly capable of complying with and pages don't noticeably faster, at least on my machine.

next?
Unread 5 May 2003, 16:42   #8
mpr0733

mpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of light
Dear friends,

I formatted my c drive yesterday to install windows xp for the first time in 1.5 years. Being fearless and being bold, I downloaded Opera for the very first time to see whether it actually is any better than IE.

So far, it has functioned fine except for one tiny little issue. I use this web teletext page thingie to read up on the latest normal and sports news. It needs me to enter three digits, namely the three digits corresponding with the page I want to see.

Opera has the strange habit though to zoom into the page when I do just that and it is highly annoying.

Dear friends, please help me.
mpr0733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2003, 17:46   #9
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by mpr0733
Dear friends,

I formatted my c drive yesterday to install windows xp for the first time in 1.5 years. Being fearless and being bold, I downloaded Opera for the very first time to see whether it actually is any better than IE.

So far, it has functioned fine except for one tiny little issue. I use this web teletext page thingie to read up on the latest normal and sports news. It needs me to enter three digits, namely the three digits corresponding with the page I want to see.

Opera has the strange habit though to zoom into the page when I do just that and it is highly annoying.

Dear friends, please help me.
I known the problem, don't know no fix. 'S the only thing I hate about Opera.
Unread 5 May 2003, 17:50   #10
bell

bell is an unknown quantity at this point
IE6 onlu using around 20MB of RAM on my machine. I stopped using Opera because of display issues with XML... havent tried 7 though.

Bring back Lynx...