User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 3 Oct 2006, 19:24   #1
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
A Gym / Muscle Question

I went to the gym on Monday for the first time in ages. I did the normal warmup on bike crapola for 10minutes. Moved around the machines. Got to the arm curl one. Did 20/30 repetitions on a low weight setting to make sure the muscles were 'warmish;' then gradually upped the weight. Did about 4/5 sets of 10/15 reps. Went around and did osme more stuff.Then returned and did a few more sets on the arm curl machine.

Next day i wake up and im unable to full straighten my right arm. It hurts like ****. The pain is coming from the joint 'area' (just above the joint actually) on the inside of the arm. I suppose its the bicep but very lowest part of bicep.

This morning i wake up and whilst my left arm yesterday was 'somewhat achey' this morning it hurts like **** too.

I can no longer 'straighten' both my arms without pain.

Now im hoping that silversmoke or someone will just say 'dont be a pussy. its just normal muscle pain because you havnt worked out for awhile'.

However im worred i may have ****ed both my arms. Whilst using the arm curl machine i noticed that my arm had 'slipped' its position and i wasnt rotating inline with where the machine itself rotated (i know this is something you should do to prevent injury and strains etc).

At the time i didnt feel anything in the gym. When i left my arms felt knackered but so did every other part of me.

So
Have i torn things or is this just a normal 'will go away' in time kind of thing. I ask because ive never not been able to straighten my goddamn arms before.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 19:26   #2
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: A Gym / Muscle Question

I had that once, it sorts itself out - just try to keep your arms as straight as you can without causing much pain.
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 19:30   #3
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

i had that once as well, it usually happens when you haven't been to the gym in ages and try to lift too much too quickly. Still its funny walking around with your arms at ~90 degrees
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 19:32   #4
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

you're just a pussy keep working out and power your way through the wall like a real man come on man feel the burn feel the burn
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 19:51   #5
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
Now im hoping that silversmoke or someone will just say 'dont be a pussy. its just normal muscle pain because you havnt worked out for awhile'.
I am not SilverSmoke, but I can confirm that it's almost certainly just what you suspect it is. It's entirely normal if you haven't worked out for a while. And it's pretty ****ing awkward to go around looking as if you're flexing 24/7.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 20:08   #6
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

First of all, stop using a curl machine. There are several fairly decent excuses to use machines for some parts of the body but I really don't see why you just don't pick up barbells and dumbells instead of a bloody curl machine to do your biceps. In most cases, free weights are superior to machines for loads of reasons.
To be honest I really don't know why you seem to be injured (if you are, maybe it is just the normal pain you get after a bit of inactivity) as I've never used a curl machine, we don't have one in the gym. Does it force you to straighten your arms completely flat when you stretch out? Where do you feel pain? in the bicep or inside the elbow? Or is it the lower arm part?

Besides that, what does your biceptraining look like during a week? You do 5 sets in the curl machine to return back to it later to do some more every trainingssession?
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 21:19   #7
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

Its a tendon strain or something

I had that once from doing something and I couldn't straighten my homes for about a week :/

Its good to know you're trying to work off that belly though!
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 21:32   #8
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

shutup fatty. i have no belly. im doing it to get huge so when you return to the uk i wont have to carry a taser to stop you trying to stick your willy up my bum.

ill just be able to punch you in the face and run away.
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 21:33   #9
JammyJim
Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
First of all, stop using a curl machine. There are several fairly decent excuses to use machines for some parts of the body but I really don't see why you just don't pick up barbells and dumbells instead of a bloody curl machine to do your biceps. In most cases, free weights are superior to machines for loads of reasons.
To be honest I really don't know why you seem to be injured (if you are, maybe it is just the normal pain you get after a bit of inactivity) as I've never used a curl machine, we don't have one in the gym. Does it force you to straighten your arms completely flat when you stretch out? Where do you feel pain? in the bicep or inside the elbow? Or is it the lower arm part?

Besides that, what does your biceptraining look like during a week? You do 5 sets in the curl machine to return back to it later to do some more every trainingssession?

ive just restarted so atm its just remebering what i used to do. however i figured last time id 'keep doing sets' until failure to see how many i could do which was oddly a fair few even though i havnt been in ages.

Ill use the free weights from now on. Thing is that ive read that although free weights are better in terms of using more muscles and supporting muscles which machines dont they also pose a greater risk of injury because the movement can go to shit if your arm gives in causing problems. hence why ive stuck to the machines for now.
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 21:39   #10
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Next day i wake up and im unable to full straighten my right arm. It hurts like ****. The pain is coming from the joint 'area' (just above the joint actually) on the inside of the arm. I suppose its the bicep but very lowest part of bicep.
This is normal, I get this when I havent been to the gym for a while and yeah, it can be sore as hell. I couldnt get my arm past maybe 135 degrees at one point.

Quote:
However im worred i may have ****ed both my arms. Whilst using the arm curl machine i noticed that my arm had 'slipped' its position and i wasnt rotating inline with where the machine itself rotated (i know this is something you should do to prevent injury and strains etc).
If both your arms have the same sort of pain, then I doubt this is the problem. If it hasnt got better in a couple of days time, go to the doctors though.

Quote:
Ill use the free weights from now on. Thing is that ive read that although free weights are better in terms of using more muscles and supporting muscles which machines dont they also pose a greater risk of injury because the movement can go to shit if your arm gives in causing problems. hence why ive stuck to the machines for now.
Machines are widely considered more likely to cause injury than free weights afaik. Doing single joint exercises like your arm stuff on a machine is fine, but for something like squats or bench presses it makes your body move through an unnatural range of motion, which probably isnt a great idea. As long as your technique is good and you arent trying to lift more than youre capable of doing, the only real risk of injury from freeweights is if you drop one on your foot.

Last edited by Nodrog; 3 Oct 2006 at 21:46.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 21:43   #11
JammyJim
Godfather

Cheers dudes. Youve been most helpful
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 21:46   #12
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

You must be doing some really crazy moves to injure your arm while doing a simple curl with a dumble dude! But ofcourse you can always do too much. Variety and rest are important. If you do about 9 sets of curls with that machine you could also do 3 different exercises. For example seated preacher curl with a barble, decline sitting dumble curls and standing barble curls. Hammercurls are nice as well as they call on the lowerarm muscles as well and the muscle that lies close to the biceps which name I forgot. Brlachlias or something, training that one will make your biceps look even bigger but take care with that one as it's easy to injure this muscle.

Also do the triceps. Arms with developed biceps and no triceps looks silly.
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 21:53   #13
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

you look silly
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 21:55   #14
JammyJim
Godfather

Quote:
You must be doing some really crazy moves to injure your arm while doing a simple curl with a dumble dude! But ofcourse you can always do too much. Variety and rest are important. If you do about 9 sets of curls with that machine you could also do 3 different exercises. For example seated preacher curl with a barble, decline sitting dumble curls and standing barble curls. Hammercurls are nice as well as they call on the lowerarm muscles as well and the muscle that lies close to the biceps which name I forgot. Brlachlias or something, training that one will make your biceps look even bigger but take care with that one as it's easy to injure this muscle.

Also do the triceps. Arms with developed biceps and no triceps looks silly.

I do triceps too! The machines are next to eachother so once my biceps are going 'oh god please stop' i move onto the tricep machine
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 21:58   #15
KaneED
Motherfracker

please bear in mind guys that jammyjim is about 15 stone, and not of muscle.

imagine him trying to lift weights.

hoho

oh and <3 to ma homey
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 22:00   #16
JammyJim
Godfather

youre such a liar

i hope you get spanish aids.
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 22:08   #17
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Quote:
I do triceps too! The machines are next to eachother so once my biceps are going 'oh god please stop' i move onto the tricep machine

no machines!

Do dips, skullcrushers, cable pushdowns, kickbacks, close grip bench presses and tricep extensions
It's also more fun to do in my opinion.

skullcrushers: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Tric...gTriExtSC.html
dips: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/ASTriDip.html
cable pushdowns: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/CBPushdown.html
close grip BP: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Tric...enchPress.html
tricep extensions: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Tric...ArmTriExt.html and http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/DBTriExt.html
kickbacks: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/DBKickback.html

In my current schedule I do 3 tricep excersises a week. Skullcrushers, close grip bench and dips.
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 23:17   #18
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd love it if someone from here met Silversmoke in real life and he was actually a 23 stone dwarf.

That'd be awesome.
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 23:23   #19
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I'd love it if someone from here met Silversmoke in real life and he was actually a 23 stone dwarf.

That'd be awesome.
I was out for a drink the other night and I saw a scantily-clad woman accompanying a gangsta-esque midget.

It was brilliant.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 23:27   #20
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Because I find joy in improving my body doesn't mean i'm a huge freak (or pretend to be) or something. Also, I might write a lot about weighttraining and stuff but I'm still rather new to all this and still gathering information and experimenting with different trainingsroutines.

Scorpio met me a lot of years ago at the start of PA. I was a bit fatty (187 lbs) back then. Two years ago (or something) we met again, I was rather skinny (149 lbs) this time. A bit longer then a year ago I started training and i'm about the same weight as when I was a fatty (176 lbs) but now I'm not although sportwise my main goal for now is to reduce my fatpercentage which is around 17,5% without losing muscle structure. When that's back to something around 12% i'll be trying to gain more muscle by clean bulking.

I'm about 179 cm tall. If i'm correct that's 5,9 feet.

Last edited by SilverSmoke; 3 Oct 2006 at 23:40.
SilverSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 23:49   #21
Tomkat

kura defensive post
Unread 4 Oct 2006, 00:05   #22
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

JJ,

I had the exact same feeling when I started going to the gym last month. It's perfectly normal. I also thought I ripped the biceps but I then thought it's just muscles developing or something.

Hell I couldn't even stretch the muscles in between the armpits and pectoralis and I thought that was painful (especially trying to reach for the top shelf stuff at my local newsagents).

But you just make it sound like it's really that bad.

Stop being a pussy.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2006, 04:35   #23
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

JJ,
You propbably just have normal muscle/joint aches from not working out for a while.
A tip to simmer this sort of ache down is to Jog or sit in the Sauna AFTER your workout. Skip that bike stuff prior to your workout also. Just go in and stretch, workout, and then sit in the sauna, or run on the tredmill at a jogging speed.
Would help a lot.
Unread 4 Oct 2006, 05:02   #24
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no expert either but to me it seems you may not have sufficiently warmed up the affected area before doing the weight training (I know you said you did warm ups but it didn't seem to involve stretching the muscles in your arms etc to loosen them up). Chika also mentions doing a warm down routine after the excercise which is also a good idea.
Unread 4 Oct 2006, 06:04   #25
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
I went to the gym on Monday for the first time in ages. I did the normal warmup on bike crapola for 10minutes. Moved around the machines. Got to the arm curl one. Did 20/30 repetitions on a low weight setting to make sure the muscles were 'warmish;' then gradually upped the weight. Did about 4/5 sets of 10/15 reps. Went around and did osme more stuff.Then returned and did a few more sets on the arm curl machine.
I usually do ten minutes on the bike (legs) and ten minutes on the rowing machine (arms) to warm up. As a result I never injure myself
Unread 4 Oct 2006, 16:02   #26
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Why do you even need to go to the gym JJ? I would have thought your arms were ripped anyway, all that post pruning, deleting and user banning you have to get through here.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2006, 18:51   #27
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

How long does it usually take to have any visible improvement because of training? Just wondering. While my strength somewhat increased in the last few weeks there seem to be no muscle growth :/
I usually do 3 set with 15 repeats of various dumbbell exercises.
Unread 4 Oct 2006, 19:33   #28
KaneED
Motherfracker

wu_trax eat more than you usually would and you'll put those extra calories on in muscle
Unread 4 Oct 2006, 19:53   #29
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
How long does it usually take to have any visible improvement because of training? Just wondering. While my strength somewhat increased in the last few weeks there seem to be no muscle growth :/
I usually do 3 set with 15 repeats of various dumbbell exercises.

Depends on your training schedule, food and your own body. An untrained skinny body will oftenly show development after already a month. When you got more fat it's harder to notice on the short term. Kane got a point but it's a bit more complicate then just increasing your calory intake. The quality of calories is key. Muscles have problems developing when being on a protein shortage as well. If you're a skinny bastard who never has problems of developing a belly or love handles, just eat the **** out of anything and train.

15 might be a bit too much if you are aiming to get bigger muscles. 15 leans more toward developing muscle condition. try doing 5x5 for a while of 3x8/4x8 (you get the idea) with heavier weights. Ofcourse i've got no idea what kind of exercises you are doing and on what frequency. Still there is no magic formula, different bodies react differently on training methods.

Keep in mind that biceps are easy to overtrain. When I started I was doing at least 15 sets (10 repeats each) a week. Sometimes twice a week because i was wondering why i'm growing so slowly. After gathering information (internet ftw!) i found out that rest is of the same importancy as the training itself, same goes for food. Now I do maximal 12 sets a week. Amongst bodybuilders 9 till 12 sets each week is a standard rule. Except for when you're a genetic freak or on steroids that is. Muscle do not grow when you are training but when you are resting while getting fed. You train to 'damage' them so your body will notice they need repairings and reinforcements.

Last edited by SilverSmoke; 4 Oct 2006 at 20:24.
Unread 4 Oct 2006, 20:20   #30
Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed is infamous around these partsMr. Ed is infamous around these parts

What you chaps seem to be describing (especially Blastoderm) sounds like whats known as 'Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness'. Its usually caused when you haven't been exercising the muscle group for a while, or start lifting heavier weights. It usually kicks in a few days after you work out.
Just rest the muscle group for a few days and it'll soon disappear.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2006, 20:55   #31
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Depends on your training schedule, food and your own body. An untrained skinny body will oftenly show development after already a month. When you got more fat it's harder to notice on the short term. Kane got a point but it's a bit more complicate then just increasing your calory intake. The quality of calories is key. Muscles have problems developing when being on a protein shortage as well. If you're a skinny bastard who never has problems of developing a belly or love handles, just eat the **** out of anything and train.

15 might be a bit too much if you are aiming to get bigger muscles. 15 leans more toward developing muscle condition. try doing 5x5 for a while of 3x8/4x8 (you get the idea) with heavier weights. Ofcourse i've got no idea what kind of exercises you are doing and on what frequency. Still there is no magic formula, different bodies react differently on training methods.

Keep in mind that biceps are easy to overtrain. When I started I was doing at least 15 sets (10 repeats each) a week. Sometimes twice a week because i was wondering why i'm growing so slowly. After gathering information (internet ftw!) i found out that rest is of the same importancy as the training itself, same goes for food. Now I do maximal 12 sets a week. Amongst bodybuilders 9 till 12 sets each week is a standard rule. Except for when you're a genetic freak or on steroids that is. Muscle do not grow when you are training but when you are resting while getting fed. You train to 'damage' them so your body will notice they need repairings and reinforcements.
Thanks for all that information, ill try increasing the weights and resting more. I should probably also eat more. I'm not exactly skinny, but not fat either, I'm pretty much happy as it is, except for the lack of muscle mass.
Unread 4 Oct 2006, 21:04   #32
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/

Try that. It's very good and it hurts. And go climbing. It's fun and strenuous.
Unread 4 Oct 2006, 22:14   #33
MMaddox

MMaddox is an unknown quantity at this point

It's tendonitis. This is a very common problem among us rock climbers, as well. It's when your bicep muscles have been worked and are disproportionately stronger than your triceps/eg. you didn't do any tricep excersizes. It causes a stinging, and a feeling of not wanting to straighten your arm all of the way. Luckily, the fix is very simple - do something to strengthen your triceps. The old fashioned rock climber tendonitis fix? Pushups - works every time. Dips work, as well. Just do a set every time you do bicep excersizes.

Now that you're working out, remember - protein and carbs are VERY important to healing and muscle growth! Eat a lot of both.
MMaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2006, 16:59   #34
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

It seems you are doing some kind of fullbody workout as you are mixing up a lot of exercises ment for different musclegroups. Such method of training is ok but it might be wiser to do the bigger groups first then. Take a couple of chest, back and leg to do the smaller ones after. Biceps, triceps, shoulder, stomach. You seem to be mixing all up which doesn't sound very effective.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean with the pull ups as there are several kind of pull ups but to get onto your questions let me start with you back questions. First of all, not having aching muscles after training doesn't always indicate a bad work out. A lot of people do not feel their backs like they do feel their chest for example after a heavy workout although when you are beginner starting with deadlifts you will certainly feel your underback the day after. Just for your information, deadlifts are awesome. They make your core stronger and isn't only ment for your lowerback.

My favourite back exercises are deadlifts, rows and chin ups. Google on 'Bend over rows' and 'dumbell rows'. They're rather easy to do and compound, means it doesnt isolate a certain muscle but takes a whole area. seated wide overhead pulls can also be done, most gyms do have a pull machine for those. In case of the back, machines are oftenly used. A very good back builder is the chin up (wide overhand grip for the lats). Very hard to do too, most beginners will not be able to chin a single time except for 100lbs skeletons. Most gyms have several pull machines to do back exercises and in case of the back they're a viable way to train the back. Still, I advice you to go compound with at least a bend over row exercise in your routine.

The two exercises you are describing are for the chest and shoulders. Lying flat on the bench pushing weights vertically seems to be the benchpress. If you keep the weight very small besides your body you are doing a small grip benchpress which is ment to train your triceps. It would've been easier if you provided me some pics or animations. The one after is a above the head push which is for the upper deltoid (shoulder). You can do side raises, front raises and upright rows. Just look them up. http://exrx.net is an excellent site. It has a library with most existing exercises for every musclegroup including animations.

Last edited by SilverSmoke; 5 Oct 2006 at 17:52.
Unread 5 Oct 2006, 17:32   #35
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
I usually do ten minutes on the bike (legs) and ten minutes on the rowing machine (arms) to warm up.
Why not just use the rowing machine for both
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2006, 18:55   #36
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Maybe he can't swim.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 5 Oct 2006, 18:56   #37
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Maybe he can't swim.
Explain this joke.
Unread 5 Oct 2006, 18:57   #38
All Systems Go

Quote:
Explain this joke.
Joke?

What joke?
Unread 5 Oct 2006, 19:20   #39
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Wank more, workout less.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 05:33   #40
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
People tell me that rowing machines are supposed to exercise your legs more than your arms but it doesn't work that way for me. My arms always ache after ten minutes and my legs feel like they haven't done anything. Guess I must be doing it wrong.
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 10:21   #41
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Joke?

What joke?
This one.

Quote:
Maybe he can't swim.
I presumed it was a joke, because it was a nonsensical statement.

Right then.

Please explain your nonsensical statement that you claim was not a joke.
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 10:46   #42
All Systems Go

Quote:
This one.
I was implying that he was afraid to fall into the water.

Quite simple really.
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 11:53   #43
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I was implying that he was afraid to fall into the water.
So, yes, it was an attempt at a joke. At least I hope so, given that rowing machines have nothing to do with water (well, except one type of them which uses water for its resistance to motion).

Even then, I presume you didn't actually read the post I was quoting because he was going on rowing machines anyway.
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 12:13   #44
All Systems Go

Quote:
So, yes, it was an attempt at a joke. At least I hope so, given that rowing machines have nothing to do with water (well, except one type of them which uses water for its resistance to motion).

Even then, I presume you didn't actually read the post I was quoting because he was going on rowing machines anyway.
Oh god no. I've hardly read any of this thread, not my type of thing.

But boredom and finding bold thread names irritaving requires that I click and have a quick glance.
Unread 18 Oct 2006, 16:47   #45
All Systems Go

Sorry for the bump, but this thread is too long and too boring for me to look through. I have a couple of questions:

1) If you are experiancing this type of muscle ache, how long should you leave before going back to the gym? Should you wait until it goes completely, carry on regardless or continue at a lesser level of exertion?

2) Does that acheing increase your chances of doing yourself some damage?

3) Horn, do you go to the gym every day and do you exercise every time you are there?

I'm sure there was another question but I can't remember it, so it'll have to wait for another time.
Unread 18 Oct 2006, 19:44   #46
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Sorry for the bump, but this thread is too long and too boring for me to look through. I have a couple of questions:

1) If you are experiancing this type of muscle ache, how long should you leave before going back to the gym? Should you wait until it goes completely, carry on regardless or continue at a lesser level of exertion?

2) Does that acheing increase your chances of doing yourself some damage?

3) Horn, do you go to the gym every day and do you exercise every time you are there?

I'm sure there was another question but I can't remember it, so it'll have to wait for another time.
1) About a couple of days really. The sooner you do it, the sooner you're muscle gets used to it.

2) If you did 12kg that one day and a couple of days you do 15kg, you might cause some damage. But generally no.

3) (I'm not Horn but) Going to the gym everyday is bad. You should always give yourself a day to rest.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2006, 20:29   #47
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
3) (I'm not Horn but) Going to the gym everyday is bad. You should always give yourself a day to rest.
Muscle grow when they're resting so yeah resting is important. A day rest depends on your schedule really. If you are doing for example legs and shoulders on monday, you could do chest and triceps on a tuesday. In this case, keeping an eye on your shoulders as heavy chest training do pound on them as well. As most beginners doing a full body workout in each session, it's indeed wise to rest a day at least in between.
Unread 19 Oct 2006, 19:00   #48
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

It really depends on your goals really what kind of trainingschedule fits you most but;

muscles do not grow in the gym

I see guys in the gym with your kind of attitude that started training way before I started. They're still skeletons or fat, they still don't know shit about food, resting and training methods and they still don't know the difference between steroids and proteins. You won't hear me say they suck or something, each to his own, but if you really want to spend your time useful lifting weights you need to consider a bit more then just lifting that iron on a regular base. I rather stay at home playing Rome Total war instead of wasting my time overtraining my body and socialising in the gym.

Last edited by SilverSmoke; 19 Oct 2006 at 19:09.
Unread 27 Oct 2006, 05:37   #49
Mighty

The 'muscle ache' you are expiriencing is DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscular Soreness).

Basically its a result of micro tears within muscles during the body-rebuilding phase, this normally lasts 24-72 hours.

The next time you come to train the relevant muscle group you will probably experience this again however in a lesser quantity. I train 3/4 times a week only once per muscle group and have done for about 3 years now and still get a slight discomfort from DOMS the following day or two.

As for your training (i know this has been covered a bit but anyway) ...

Try and separate your workouts into splits ... chest, biceps, triceps, back, traps, legs, calves, shoulders, abs. Train each group once a week and your body will have plenty of time to recover and rest.

*** You grow when you rest ***

A nice 4 day split that will not kill you is
- Chest/Triceps/Abs
- Back/Biceps
- Shoulders/Traps
- Legs/Calves

As a good rule aim for 9-12 sets (MAXIMUM) for Large Muscle groups (Chest/Back/Legs) followed by a smaller muscle group for 6-8 sets (MAXIMUM)(Biceps/Triceps/Shoulders/Abs/Calves). Go easy on the biceps as they are much smaller than the tricep so will probably respond better at the lower end of that set range. Forget about doing 50 sets of bicep curls for big arms! You'll overtrain them and they will not grow to their full potential.

Also as a good rule work at a weight that you can perform 6-8 reps with strict form with before you can?t hold good form anymore. When 8x becomes comfortable then you can add a little more weight on. 6-8 reps is the best compromise between hypertrophy gains (muscle growth) & strength gains. Where you see "train to failure " - this means until you cannot do anymore reps at that weight with perfect form.
Unread 27 Oct 2006, 09:27   #50
Game^

Game^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to behold

Find me on IRC later horn and ill tell you what you are doing wrong.

Doing cardio and weights on the same day makes baby jebus cry
Game^ is offline   Reply With Quote