User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 14 Sep 2006, 00:08   #1
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of
A sense of purpuose

Hi there people

Ive just graduated now, and ive got a job now. No more sitting and listening for me! not...
In order to get a decent job here in brazil, you must study hard to pass on a test to be admitted in the government career. By studying hard it means 1-2 years, 8 hoiurs a day.
Otherwise you will suffer from chronic fear of unemployment and constant low wages. If you want to suceed in the private sector, you must work 14 hours a day, and study at night(?) to improve your CV.

Thats the rule of the thumb. Of course a few people suceed without that much effort.

With that in mind, I dunno really what to do. things seem to lose importance quite fast to me. For instance, gaming. Gaming was/is a major part of my life, but it is utterlly useless. As for leisure, games without win/lose concepts are boring and crappy (the thumb again). games with win/lose are simply slotmachines. You want to play not because of the fun, but because of the possibility of winning. And off you go creating strategies which are crazy and you hope it to work. Also, when you lose, its not much of a fun game, is it now?
For the sake of discussion, i am not even talking about single player games. They are even more useless, because of the 'do as i say or you wont have fun' and the 'truman show' effect. (not to mention the rubberband effect, which is terrific at extirpating the believability of the game).
As for money goes, I really dont happen to have any need for it. I have a car and a house, and all my needs are fullfilled. It does not motivates me. As it porrly has happened to many of you, once you start earning money, you go off on a shopping spree, and then you realise that buying shit that you dont need is just pathetic.
I have a strong and solid love relationship with a girl i love, and things are going great in that matter, the same with friends/family.
When i think about reading or things like that, i think about the many books ive read, and the little it added me, at great time expense it cost. Being an intellectual? what for? to win some argument on a bar table, and then to be regarded as the obnoxious of the group?
I really have some extra time on my hands lately. Interestingly enough, ive gotten a taste for experimenting with plants, grown from the seeds of the fruits i eat. I plant them on airtight recipients, and let it open one day and close the next, and try to figure out if something is happening. I also have the idea of building a self balanced biosphere, despite the fact that it would be so very expensive and big....

This is not really a 'what should i do thread' considering im prolly going to go for the public career, just because in the future i might regret not having money. Having money is simply better than not having it, although im not sure why.

I am posting this to see if it has happened to any of you guys, this questioning of values, etc.
thanks

(no fight club remarks allowed)
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 00:14   #2
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: A sense of purpuose

hooray muslim's back

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 00:18   #3
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

When I start to question my values I go and post on an internet forum.

That sure blows those blues away!
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 02:05   #4
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

When I start to question my sense of purpose I remind myself that I have the senses of a porpoise and go swim in the deep blue sea!
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 07:10   #5
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Your sense of purpose won't come to you by spending your time like that

Last edited by Alessio; 14 Sep 2006 at 07:40.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 08:36   #6
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

If you have any excess funds feel free to send them around to us poor GD students who you can be sure will spend it on the most cost-effective way of getting drunk.

On the matter of your question, i havent come to this stage yet, ive been working at home and been quite happy bringing in £200 a week or so. Covers everything i need and allowed me to save up about £500 to spend back up at uni on gym fee's. So in a sense i may have found some sort of happy medium where my car,lodgings and social life is funded, but at the moment im happy to keep rolling in the money.
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 10:24   #7
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
When I start to question my sense of purpose I remind myself that I have the senses of a porpoise and go swim in the deep blue sea!
I was going to make a porpoise joke, too slow

Whether you study and get a job or not depends on two things imo. Firstly, money. Can you be confident that you will stay in a financially secure position forever? Secondly, will any other important needs in your life be fulfilled by getting a job? Or could you be happier doing some other random activity all day? If you can, and it won't cause any financial worries, just be a leech forever and never work a day in your life.
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 14:23   #8
Remo

Remo will become famous soon enoughRemo will become famous soon enough

I haven't figured it out. Maybe there is somekind of public pressure that makes us do what we are doing now. I have a house and big mortage (a bank loan or what ever). I have grate job that provides me enough money to live, but no enough to make large investments. A have a place to study, but I can't just figure out why should I bother to study. To make bigger bucks??

If I want to graduate I have lots of reading to do. Average amount is 180*40h of reading (= 7200 h). Before that I have little chances to get promotion. So if I want to graduate some day I have to work and to study about 1800 days (4h of studying / day). So it would be about 5 years of no holidays, no other life than work and studying.

And what then. I still love what i'm doing atm and my studies dosn't help me at this job.

Makes me wonder "why bother"
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 14:41   #9
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio
Your sense of purpose won't come to you by spending your time like that
I think that caring of plants is a hobby. Isnt that what grown people do to spend their extra time?
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 15:04   #10
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReligFree
If you have any excess funds feel free to send them around to us poor GD students who you can be sure will spend it on the most cost-effective way of getting drunk.

On the matter of your question, i havent come to this stage yet, ive been working at home and been quite happy bringing in Ł200 a week or so. Covers everything i need and allowed me to save up about Ł500 to spend back up at uni on gym fee's. So in a sense i may have found some sort of happy medium where my car,lodgings and social life is funded, but at the moment im happy to keep rolling in the money.
Woah. you are in the uni and you earn twice as much as me! actually you earn almost the same as my boss! gotta love 3rd world countries....

I think you are feeling all jolly inside because when you are in the uni, you have something to look up to, to expect. when its over, its like waking up on a shinny sunday morney after partying up all night. It is inevitable to experience a great sensation of displacement and strangement.
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 15:14   #11
Remo

Remo will become famous soon enoughRemo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Orginally Posted by ReligFree
On the matter of your question, i havent come to this stage yet, ive been working at home and been quite happy bringing in £200 a week or so. Covers everything i need and allowed me to save up about £500 to spend back up at uni on gym fee's. So in a sense i may have found some sort of happy medium where my car,lodgings and social life is funded, but at the moment im happy to keep rolling in the money.
I'm making gross £430 a week or so, but i'm struggling with my bills. Hmmm I guess it's expensive to live in here
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 15:29   #12
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
I was going to make a porpoise joke, too slow

Whether you study and get a job or not depends on two things imo. Firstly, money. Can you be confident that you will stay in a financially secure position forever? Secondly, will any other important needs in your life be fulfilled by getting a job? Or could you be happier doing some other random activity all day? If you can, and it won't cause any financial worries, just be a leech forever and never work a day in your life.
As far as needs goes, heres the general's surgeon list of non physical needs:

Quote:
  • Security — safe territory and an environment which allows us to develop fully
  • Attention (to give and receive it) — a form of nutrition
  • Sense of autonomy and control — having volition to make responsible choices
  • Being emotionally connected to others
  • Feeling part of a wider community
  • Friendship, intimacy — to know that at least one other person accepts us totally for who we are, “warts 'n' all”
  • Privacy — opportunity to reflect and consolidate experience
  • Sense of status within social groupings
  • Sense of competence and achievement
  • Meaning and purpose — which come from being stretched in what we do and think.
Every aspect is covered, except the last one.

I cant tell if i would be forever (thats such a powerful word) employed. I would just do things i want for now.
Ive been doing things i hate for most of my life now. I hated going to kindergarten. I hated school, highschool and the uni. I hate to study things i have to so i will pass on something. I like to study things that interest me, but that doesnt seem to make many moneys.

Working is a pain in the ass, but at least you just go there, do your thing and go home. Studying is many magnitutes worse, because it takes up all your free time, since you do it on your own....
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 15:39   #13
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo
I haven't figured it out. Maybe there is somekind of public pressure that makes us do what we are doing now. I have a house and big mortage (a bank loan or what ever). I have grate job that provides me enough money to live, but no enough to make large investments. A have a place to study, but I can't just figure out why should I bother to study. To make bigger bucks??

If I want to graduate I have lots of reading to do. Average amount is 180*40h of reading (= 7200 h). Before that I have little chances to get promotion. So if I want to graduate some day I have to work and to study about 1800 days (4h of studying / day). So it would be about 5 years of no holidays, no other life than work and studying.

And what then. I still love what i'm doing atm and my studies dosn't help me at this job.

Makes me wonder "why bother"
Oh, the waste of time!:crymeariver:

The studying i have to do is also utterly useless, except to be admited in the public carrer. It would be just the same if the test was to see how much of this phone book can you memorize in 4 hours.

nice to see that you like what you do. quite rare these days
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 16:04   #14
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

What about moving to a sane country?
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 16:58   #15
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
Studying is many magnitutes worse, because it takes up all your free time, since you do it on your own....
Not really. Most people studying still allow themselves to have some free-time to do other things. If you are having to study something every minute that you have (with no time to chill out, have other hobbies, etc) then you are probably studying something that's too difficult for you.

Anyway, there is no meaning in an absolute, objective sense obviously. However, many people find satisfaction in personal relationships, the work they do and their hobbies. Is that purpose enough? For most people it is. If it's not for you then either do something more dramatic (e.g. become a volunteer or a political activist or whatever) or seek psychiatric help.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 17:28   #16
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
I think that caring of plants is a hobby. Isnt that what grown people do to spend their extra time?
I don't know anyone that takes care of plants as a hobby, sounds fascinating tho ;D

mMmm, I just noticed the plant in my room is dead

Last edited by Alessio; 14 Sep 2006 at 17:40.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 18:42   #17
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: A sense of purpuose

Hm... sense of purpose lacking... contemplating a government career...

Oh yeah, this should be good.
Quote:
I really have some extra time on my hands lately. Interestingly enough, ive gotten a taste for experimenting with plants, grown from the seeds of the fruits i eat. I plant them on airtight recipients, and let it open one day and close the next, and try to figure out if something is happening.
Please don't ever get a pet!
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 22:15   #18
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyfe
What about moving to a sane country?
Because they dont let me in
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 22:23   #19
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Not really. Most people studying still allow themselves to have some free-time to do other things. If you are having to study something every minute that you have (with no time to chill out, have other hobbies, etc) then you are probably studying something that's too difficult for you.

Anyway, there is no meaning in an absolute, objective sense obviously. However, many people find satisfaction in personal relationships, the work they do and their hobbies. Is that purpose enough? For most people it is. If it's not for you then either do something more dramatic (e.g. become a volunteer or a political activist or whatever) or seek psychiatric help.
You see, there is no 'grade' you must get to be approved, nor you are supposed to know some things, and then you are automatically admited. It is a public examination, so whoever gets the higher grade gets selected. hence, its not a question if the subject is hard, but 'who is the most desperated fella in here' meaning 'we are going to make a test to see who is willing to sacrifice time, freedom, leisure, sex, its current job, because that is a guy that will take GREAT value in working with us and therefore we will not hire an agitator or something like that'

And how about you? doing your work and nourishing your relationships is motivation enough to carry on?
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 23:24   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
we are going to make a test to see who is willing to sacrifice time, freedom, leisure, sex, its current job
Obviously I've not seen the test but I'd imagine it also relates in some sense, to ability. I've never bothered working that hard because I've tended to find in most situations it's not necessary to do that to end up in the top 20-30%. If it turns out there are other people better than me then I've no problem with losing out to them.
Quote:
And how about you? doing your work and nourishing your relationships is motivation enough to carry on?
Absolutley. But then I've always been generally happy. Now however work is a lot better than it was a few years ago - I have more autonomy, more interesting work, etc. However, I've not reached a stage where I have masses of excess money with no clue of what to spend it on. Being in near constant financial crisis at least keeps one occupied...
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote