User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 Feb 2006, 19:22   #1
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
me, curry's and a philips LS1200 computer

so, after nearly a month they have fixed my computer....

except they havent :/ its still blue screening and making a horribly clicking noise all the time ****ers, a month and they still cant get it right (oh, and whilst fixing it they have actually BROKEN the DVD drive fs)

so on the advice of trading standards, im going to ask them to replace it with a new one, which is a bit of a pisser as it means installing WoW and all its patches from scratch

anyway, watch this space and anyone thinking of buying a philips PC one word of advice for you

'dont'
Unread 25 Feb 2006, 00:10   #2
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of
Re: me, curry's and a philips LS1200 computer

Why people stopped buying the separated pieces and mounting the computer at home? Is it not fashianoble anymore?
Its so cheaper and I put my computer against any dell/hp/philips computer of the same price ranger and i bet my pants it will outperform and be quite more stable!
Unread 25 Feb 2006, 00:17   #3
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
Why people stopped buying the separated pieces and mounting the computer at home? Is it not fashianoble anymore?
Its so cheaper and I put my computer against any dell/hp/philips computer of the same price ranger and i bet my pants it will outperform and be quite more stable!

I've built all my own PC's for the past couple of years and they've been better quality, more reliable and a hell of alot less expensive than standard manufacturers.
It's really the best option, plus if you don't know quite alot about PC's then it's a good way to teach yourself more.

Large manufacturer PC's are generally marketed at people who think "free flat panel monitor, how can I lose!".
IncubusGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2006, 00:19   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There are some disadvantages of making your own PC, most notably the problem of lack of experience - if you don't have a test bed, for example, then troubleshooting can be problematic.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2006, 11:32   #5
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

so, in a fit of hilarity i phoned their customer service last night, and spent 1 hour 45 mins getting told that:

i was wrong
trading standards had lied to me
'software compatibility' issues were at fault and arent covered by the warranty (lies on both counts)
i was wrong
unless i could actually blue screen the machine on demand they 'couldnt' fix it

which was nice, so im just going to get trading standards to phone them on monday and im going the whole hog and getting a new base unit \o/
Unread 25 Feb 2006, 12:00   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
I've personally found that as I've got older I've had less desire to spend my weekends putting together PCs. It might be just that I've got bored of going through the hassle of trying different components when troubleshooting or it might be a side-effect of my time becoming slightly more valuable (if I spend 10-15 hours on PC maintenance over the course of it's life then have I really saved much money?).

Also, getting the most "bang for your buck" is only really that important if you're a gamer (or doing something else performance intensive). Large manufacturer PC's are pretty damn cheap now days (albeit with some suspect components) and so if you're not too bothered with getting a slightly crap graphics cards why not?

Of course, none of these arguments apply to rubbish PC manufacturers who ultimately are more trouble than they are worth in terms of warranties etc. Having said that, PCs are probably going to the "refridgerator model" - i.e. no-one will bother repairing them, simply buy a new one when it fails. So you'll be buying a new £200-£300 PC every year or (couple of years). Possibly.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2006, 12:14   #7
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/gu...sumerguide.pdf

You'll find the flow chart quite useful.

Just demmand a full refund.
Unread 25 Feb 2006, 14:18   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Handy chart Yahwe.
It's always nice when a spotty 16 year old a-level dropout in a call centre thinks they know more about consumer law than trading standards. Yes yes, I know in reality they're just following what the magical glowing text on the monitor says. When this is the level of "support" offered to customers, it's always suprising so many people keep buying from DSG Plc. It's not as if their prices are particularly cheap either.
Unread 26 Feb 2006, 13:19   #9
roadrunner_0
cynic

cheers, bloody useful link
Unread 26 Feb 2006, 13:48   #10
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i'm confused why you even thought about buying from currys...
whenever going there just remember "this is the company that owns PC World"

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2006, 14:00   #11
roadrunner_0
cynic

yeah, i know
Unread 27 Feb 2006, 01:16   #12
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Ever tried to put a laptop together
Unread 27 Feb 2006, 02:04   #13
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I put mine BACK together after taking it apart into tiny tiny pieces in an effort to find what was rattling around inside it. I'm talking complete disassembly, motherboard and all the drives and bits and bobs out, screen seperated from the base etc.

It's really not that bad if you keep careful track of where the screws were and so on. I never did find what was rattling, but it's gone since I reassembled it.
Unread 27 Feb 2006, 10:49   #14
roadrunner_0
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Ever tried to put a laptop together

i know my limits and the only thing i would ever do to a laptop would be to put a card in the pcmcia slot or take the battery out if i had to for some reason. other than that i have friends who would do that sort of thing for me