User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 20 Jan 2006, 21:14   #1
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of
Lets share our views on civ4

After spending more time with this despicable games than it deserves, I´ve reached the following conclusions:

Ok ive been a fan of civilization franchise for about 10 years now. I was trhilled with civilization 2, alpha centauri, and let down with call to power as many of you have. However I have to say that this edition sucked even more.
Reasons:
The world is minuscule. Even when set to the largest size possible, in a matter of 10 minutes you easily found six or seven of them. It is ridiculous, I mean, it took thousands of years for the west come in contact with the east, let alone the americas!

When the time gets to around 300 BC a stupid ammount of barbarians appear out of nowhere. They destroy all improvements around the city, and when they try to enter the city they get whacked due to the city walls and defensive bonuses. Is that going to stop them? Noo!
The waves of barbarians keep appearing and getting whacked for as long as the game lasts, meaning you will get stuck there, becouse if you leave the city, you are going to get whacked, as there are no defensive bonuses. And besides there is no where else to go, considering that in 20 turns the whole world is taken which is quite absurd.
The main reason, i think, is that it isnt quite a turn based game anymore. Its more of a RTS game with pauses. The crowdedness and the silly tiny planet means you are always commanding troops and whatnot. Actually it can be seen as a SIM-TIME, as youre going to build like 5 cities at most and sit there and take care of it...
In short, they made a game for 11-year olds spoiled brats which want to "get into the action" right after slamming the dvd on the computer.
Serious gamers - KEEP AWAY FROM THIS RIPOFF
It is a shame to the franchise. I hope you dont waste your money on this as I did.

Any toughts on that?
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 21:16   #2
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Lets share our views on civ4

I could say theres other threads on Civ 4, probably on the first page.

Instead I'll sum up.

You suck.
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 21:21   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
Ok ive been a fan of civilization franchise for about 10 years now. I was trhilled with civilization 2, alpha centauri, and let down with call to power as many of you have.
I enjoyed Half Life and Half Life 2, but man was that FEAR game a letdown.

That is, "You do know the CTP games weren't made by anyone connected with Sid Meier or Reynolds?"

And you just sound like you suck at the game. Sorry mang.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 21:23   #4
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
I could say theres other threads on Civ 4, probably on the first page.

Instead I'll sum up.

You suck.
Bumping threads is wrong that one didnt had much to do with this one specially by the lack of talent and intelligence of the first reply.
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 21:25   #5
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I enjoyed Half Life and Half Life 2, but man was that FEAR game a letdown.

That is, "You do know the CTP games weren't made by anyone connected with Sid Meier or Reynolds?"

And you just sound like you suck at the game. Sorry mang.
I didnt
I can send you the save games if you want. civ4 is for people who do not know what a turn based game is
I play warcraft 3 which is a lot closer to civ 4 gameplaywise than civ2 ever was
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 21:27   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I can send you the save games if you want. civ4 is for people who do not know what a turn based game is
Not really, I don't really like Civ IV. It just lacks the spark.

Quote:
I play warcraft 3 which is a lot closer to civ 4 gameplaywise than civ2 ever was
Not really.
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 21:29   #7
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

its not tha bad. the long-term fun is missing thoughand the babarians are anoying, but i dont have anything beter to play right now, so i just play on
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 21:41   #8
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Not really, I don't really like Civ IV. It just lacks the spark.

I've played about 5 turns and I had the same feeling, ofcourse I need to really play it to really be able to fully judge it but somehow I don't think it will suck me in like the previous games did.
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 21:41   #9
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
its not tha bad. the long-term fun is missing thoughand the babarians are anoying, but i dont have anything beter to play right now, so i just play on
You should get your hands on the new splinter cell game. Thats pretty good.

In civ2 if things went ok you would end up owning the whole world by around 1950 which is pretty cool.
I found myself sharing the world with 3 other civs by 2020 , with no hope of being a super civ...
Thats the spark that is missing...
Which level do you people play?
I usually play emperor and terra huge map
oh man it depresses me to talk about civ 4
i had such high hopes
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 21:44   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
In civ2 if things went ok you would end up owning the whole world by around 1950 which is pretty cool.
I found myself sharing the world with 3 other civs by 2020 , with no hope of being a super civ...
Thats the spark that is missing...
That's not a spark that's missing, you're just playing it badly.
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 21:54   #11
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
That's not a spark that's missing, you're just playing it badly.
I just said i am good at the game!
What can I do to get through you?
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 21:59   #12
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
saying != being
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 22:02   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Surely being good at the game would involve, you know, playing the game well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by you
It's entirely possible to storm through the game in a similar way to Civ II, it's just more complicated than the settler swarm.
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 22:05   #14
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Frequently at the beggining of the game your units might get killed by "barbaric bears" or "barbaric lions" They even carry "barbaric banners"

FFS killing lions has been a passage ritual to african tribesman for millenia. 11 year olds ( the target audience for civ4) have to a kill lion alone to be a real man.
But not in civ4. Your warriors, grown up men theoritically dozens of them, are slaughtered by leaons.

Last edited by Baron Morte; 20 Jan 2006 at 22:11.
Baron Morte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 22:06   #15
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm not good at this game. I'm trying it at different options though. I keep building big armies up that just end up starving to death before I can ever attack anyone. I don't remember Xerxes having this problem.
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 22:08   #16
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Surely being good at the game would involve, you know, playing the game well?
Which I do. Read my lips, the game is easy

Quote:
It's entirely possible to storm through the game in a similar way to Civ II, it's just more complicated than the settler swarm.
You dont understand. Read again.
WHat I meant was that civ4 is more geared towards being more real at this point (despite being ridiculously inacurrate at the rest) meaning the game is not meant for you to get the world for yourself, as civ2 is.
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 22:10   #17
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
I'm not good at this game. I'm trying it at different options though. I keep building big armies up that just end up starving to death before I can ever attack anyone. I don't remember Xerxes having this problem.
Actually he did(or his sucessor/antecessor, cant remember), when the greeks destroyed their supply ships, they had to halt the invasion.
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 22:12   #18
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Which I do. Read my lips, the game is easy
Generally, when I find games easy I don't complain about how I'm not able to win the game by the the end, or how barbarians are wiping out my civilisation.

Maybe you have a different interpretation.

Quote:
You dont understand. Read again.
WHat I meant was that civ4 is more geared towards being more real at this point (despite being ridiculously inacurrate at the rest) meaning the game is not meant for you to get the world for yourself, as civ2 is.
You can do though, you just have to put more thought into it than Civ II.
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 22:22   #19
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Actually he did(or his sucessor/antecessor, cant remember), when the greeks destroyed their supply ships, they had to halt the invasion.
No that's completely incorrect. Xerxes' navy was defeated at Salamis and afterward he decided to turn his land troops around and head back to Persia even though he had conquered (or bribed) the entirety of Boetia and Thessaly and had sacked and burned Athens. Xerxes forced those in which land he occupied to supply his army, and they suffered little (although those they occupied suffered greatly).

Seriously, what are you thinking?
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 22:24   #20
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
No that's completely incorrect. Xerxes navy was defeated at Salamis and afterward he decided to turn his land troops around and head back to Persia even though he had conquered (or bribed) the entirety of Boetia and Thessaly and had sacked and burned Athens.
Darn history channel then

They told me that after losing the ships, they couldnt feed the troops anymore so had to disband them.
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 22:26   #21
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Generally, when I find games easy I don't complain about how I'm not able to win the game by the the end, or how barbarians are wiping out my civilisation.

Maybe you have a different interpretation.

You can do though, you just have to put more thought into it than Civ II.
I win at the end. Just not by conquest. It was my first run at the game. As a emperor.
No barbarian wipe out my civ. It just made the game more boring.
Youre assumptions are getting even more inacurrate
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 22:29   #22
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

I swear Jakiri is a robot. I hope he's a Cylon, I like Cylons.
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 22:30   #23
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Darn history channel then

They told me that after losing the ships, they couldnt feed the troops anymore so had to disband them.
The troops Xerxes had were so huge and diverse and from so many places (there were Lybians and Ethiopians and even Indians) that they could hardly be 'disbanded' in Attica. Anyhow he didn't leave with his entire army, he left Mardonius behind with a huge contingent who was routed at Platea by Pausanias.

Last edited by s|k; 20 Jan 2006 at 22:35.
s|k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 22:50   #24
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

i never played civ 1 2 or 3, but played 4 and quite simply it was shit, makes me glad i didnt waste my time on the other versions:\

edit: well no it wasnt a troll because, civ4 was the first game i played from the series, hence it is easy to come to the conclusion that i wouldnt of liked the first 3 really, they may of been better but i shall never know.

Last edited by Alki; 20 Jan 2006 at 23:25.
Alki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 23:52   #25
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki
i never played civ 1 2 or 3, but played 4 and quite simply it was shit, makes me glad i didnt waste my time on the other versions:\

edit: well no it wasnt a troll because, civ4 was the first game i played from the series, hence it is easy to come to the conclusion that i wouldnt of liked the first 3 really, they may of been better but i shall never know.
oh no no no
civ2 is good
as alpha centauri

civ4 is shit i agree
But i think you should give alpha centauri a go its great
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 23:54   #26
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
The troops Xerxes had were so huge and diverse and from so many places (there were Lybians and Ethiopians and even Indians) that they could hardly be 'disbanded' in Attica. Anyhow he didn't leave with his entire army, he left Mardonius behind with a huge contingent who was routed at Platea by Pausanias.
HUmm nice
sorry about my ignorance. I should read instead of trying to "learning while having fun", like watching HIstory channel =/
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 23:58   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I win at the end. Just not by conquest. It was my first run at the game. As a emperor.
No barbarian wipe out my civ. It just made the game more boring.
Youre assumptions are getting even more inacurrate
So's your face!

HAHA!

Quote:
Have you actually played any Turn Based Strategy games before?
Unread 21 Jan 2006, 00:04   #28
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

yes, planetarion hohoho
Unread 21 Jan 2006, 00:09   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
yes, planetarion hohoho
Calling PA a Turn Based Strategy game when you're talking about Civ is like calling Chess a photorealistic simulation of world war 2.
Unread 21 Jan 2006, 00:33   #30
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Calling PA a Turn Based Strategy game when you're talking about Civ is like calling Chess a photorealistic simulation of world war 2.
Only because you've played different types of TBS games and thus have a pre-conceived idea of what they are, surely?

If you've never played anything like AOE, Civ 1/2/3/4 etc., then PA counts in the fact it has turns/ticks and uses Strategy.

All aboard the good ship HMS Pedantry me hearties! Yohoho and a bottle of arrrrrrrrr!

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2006, 00:45   #31
s|k
Caveat Lector

Anyhow back to my original point, I should be allowed to make big armies and conquer people. Well or maybe I shouldn't consider myself to be as good as an empire as Persia.

You know I've pretty much read the thick manual inside and out and I still don't seem to be doing well at all. What's a great way to increase my skill? I usually play FPS and RTS, and I think I sometimes try to play Civ 4 as if it were an RTS.
Unread 21 Jan 2006, 18:57   #32
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

I bought CivIV yesterday. I'm a tad disappointed with it - apart from it crashing on my machine a lot, i don't like the graphics, and (as stated somewhere before) the worlds seem too small. I played it for most of last night and most of today, and while i did have some fun it wasn't as much as i could have been having on other games. I'll stick with it for a bit, though, perhaps i'm just not used to it yet.

And i hate it when games use the "My Documents" folder without my asking them to. :/
Unread 21 Jan 2006, 19:01   #33
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I don't mind Civ 4 to be honest, it's far better than Civ 3. It feels like a worthy sequal to Civ 2 although not as good as AC. Pity I don't really have much time to really play it with World of Warcraft and university work.

I'm a bit confused why you keep posting how good you are but seem to get swamped by Barbarians
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2006, 19:39   #34
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold

i would suggest you go to www.civfanatics.com if you want to read about civ4.
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2006, 22:29   #35
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

Emperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to all

Map size seems to be a problem with most new 3D RTS games, take AoE3 for example, you can fully explore most maps map with a single unit in 60-90 seconds if there isn't a watery divide.

Again, dumbing the game down to appeal to ADHD generation is another problem in full swing with RTS games, and again a problem with AoE3, functionality that existed in previous versions has been taken out to make the game more 'accessible'.

Apothos, most games that save in "My Documents" do so by saving relative to the path of the folder, which it finds from the 'Personal' registry key so you can exploit this to make the game save elsewhere (not by chaning the value of the Personal Key of course, that'd move the location of my docs!)

The key can be found in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Browse to that folder and create a new key and call it what you like, set the text string as the path where you'd like it to save.

Download a free hex editor and open up the game's .exe (back it up first). Search the exe for 'Personal' (50 65 72 73 6f 6e 61 6c) and replace it with the name of the key you created with the path you'd like it to save to. Save the altered exe and the game will save at the new location from now on.

If you can't find 'Personal' in the exe hex it means that this technique isn't used by the game so this won't work, I don't have Civ 4 so can't check.

Kick the Baby! - did we rock your world?
Emperor Rozenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2006, 22:40   #36
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Rozenski
Again, dumbing the game down to appeal to ADHD generation is another problem in full swing with RTS games, and again a problem with AoE3, functionality that existed in previous versions has been taken out to make the game more 'accessible'.
I find that the really good games designers don't really care about this.

If Rise of Legends and Supreme Commander turn out like Red Alert 2 I'll take that back though.
Unread 23 Jan 2006, 20:35   #37
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

You gotta applease those 11 year olds! They are demanding, the recognize good merchandize, they have money!
I think they are the very foundation of our society!

BTW i just unistalled civ4.
The civ franchise is dead for me
Unread 23 Jan 2006, 20:48   #38
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
You gotta applease those 11 year olds! They are demanding, the recognize good merchandize, they have money!
I think they are the very foundation of our society!

BTW i just unistalled civ4.
The civ franchise is dead for me
I'm trying to find a way I can play this game and enjoy it. I just think there should be more rounds per century so I can effectively conquer at least a continent.
Unread 23 Jan 2006, 22:02   #39
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I'm pretty sure you can just tweak that in the XML files. There were a few good posts on the SomethingAwful forums about tweaking the game unfortunately I don't think they're open without membership I'm fairly sure Civfanatics would have something about it though, from what I remember the game was written so that almost everything would be customisable, you can definitely change the pacing of the epic games by fiddling with the build times and research rates.

Baron Morte you're managing to sound an awful lot like the "11 year olds" that you’re actually moaning about.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2006, 22:52   #40
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks

Baron Morte you're managing to sound an awful lot like the "11 year olds" that you’re actually moaning about.
Im sorry it must be my poor english
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 10:04   #41
MasterAir

MasterAir has a spectacular aura aboutMasterAir has a spectacular aura aboutMasterAir has a spectacular aura about

I am a big fan of Civ4, I think it is an excellent sequel to previous incarnatinos of the franchise.

Baron Morte, if you are frustrated by the AI take some time and play a multiplayer game. If you are genuinely good at th game then surely testing your intelect against human opposition would interest you.

I think the best improvement to the new Civ game is shipping it with reasonable multiplayer support... welcome to the 21st century Sid.
MasterAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 12:23   #42
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader

Rikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really nice

I downloaded Civ for my Mobile

<zhil|reportwrit> Rikard - I dont know you
<zhil|reportwrit> so you're insignificant

eXilition - LCH - Destiny - Conspiracy - Night Witches - eXcessum
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 12:24   #43
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader

Rikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterAir
I am a big fan of Civ4, I think it is an excellent sequel to previous incarnatinos of the franchise.

Baron Morte, if you are frustrated by the AI take some time and play a multiplayer game. If you are genuinely good at th game then surely testing your intelect against human opposition would interest you.

I think the best improvement to the new Civ game is shipping it with reasonable multiplayer support... welcome to the 21st century Sid.
nothing wrong with civ2gold fs

<zhil|reportwrit> Rikard - I dont know you
<zhil|reportwrit> so you're insignificant

eXilition - LCH - Destiny - Conspiracy - Night Witches - eXcessum
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 13:34   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Sid didn't actually design Civ IV.

Or Civ III for that matter.

Or Alpha Centauri.

Or, arguably, Civ II.

He definitely designed Civ I though.
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 15:26   #45
MasterAir

MasterAir has a spectacular aura aboutMasterAir has a spectacular aura aboutMasterAir has a spectacular aura about

It's still his name on the box though...
MasterAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 20:47   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
It's still his name on the box though...
Which is among the reasons that Reynolds, the co-founder of Firaxis, left to form Big Huge Games and made Rise of Nations, which is better than anything Firaxis have done since.
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 20:57   #47
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Which is among the reasons that Reynolds, the co-founder of Firaxis, left to form Big Huge Games and made Rise of Nations, which is better than anything Firaxis have done since.
I must play that some day. Will my troops starve?
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 21:17   #48
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
I must play that some day. Will my troops starve?
Nope. They will get slightly more expensive the more of a particular kind you have, and they may take damage in enemy territory if you don't have a supply truck with them.

But supply trucks make artillery fire faster anyway, so that's alright.
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 21:20   #49
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Does Rise of Nations still have a big online community (for games I mean)?. You may have now mentioned it just enough times for me to actually get it.

The whole Brian Reynolds thing helps too
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 21:28   #50
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
Does Rise of Nations still have a big online community (for games I mean)?. You may have now mentioned it just enough times for me to actually get it.

The whole Brian Reynolds thing helps too
I wouldn't know about the online community, I generally only play RTS games with friends or goons, or goon friends.

However, the pseudo-sequel, Rise of Legends, is coming out in a few months, so either wait for that or get RoN now because it only costs £14 from Amazon, expansion included.