User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 5 May 2005, 19:29   #1
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Car crash :(

I never really do attention whoring threads but i'll give it a go and ask for some help at the same time.

I was driving merrily along to Uni down a 60mph road, i came to a bend in the road so slowed down to 50mph and drove round. Then i saw 2 cars coming towards me filling the whole road. Shit! I slammed on my breaks, which the other cars didnt seem to both doing as they raced towards me pretty ****ing quick. I had to mount the curb at 30-40mph to avoid hitting them.

Both my front tyres burst, 1 of the wheels is damaged, my wheels are no longer properly aligned which could be a bent front axel and god knows what else is wrong under my car. The girl that was overtaking on the opposite car got away with no damage thanks to me.

Thankfully she stopped and we exchanged insurance details, so no real worries i thought. I ring my insurance company tonight and tell them the situation, its all going well until i mention that i didnt hit a car because of my quick thinking.

"Oh we wont pay out then because you didnt hit a car."

WTF?!

I would have apparently been better off driving straight into her and possibly killing someone. In fact i felt like going and killing someone at that point.

Anyway, 15 minutes after i've spoken to the insurance company i get a call off the girl's dad. He gives me some sob story about his daughter being on exams and stuff and how she wont be able to afford insurance next year if i claim against her, so he is willing to send me a cheque to pay for any damages. I didnt bother telling him i couldnt claim on my insurance. Winner!

P.S.

How much does a new wheel cost? (wheel not tyre, i've already got a new one of those)

How much would a new front axel cost?

What other damage might i have? The exhaust seems to be ok and the car is running ok apart from pulling to one side because of the allignment problem.
Unread 5 May 2005, 19:47   #2
Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed is infamous around these partsMr. Ed is infamous around these parts
Re: Car crash :(

Your best bet is to get a few quotes off various garages, rather than estimating the price yourself.That way you can make sure that the dad will cover you fully.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2005, 19:52   #3
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Yeah i'm not going to give him a price until the garage tells me how much, just thought i'ld ask here to see if anyone has any ideas so i can tell if i'm being ripped off. JJ might be of some use if he is around.
Unread 5 May 2005, 20:17   #4
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Car crash :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Yeah i'm not going to give him a price until the garage tells me how much, just thought i'ld ask here to see if anyone has any ideas so i can tell if i'm being ripped off.
If he's picking up the bill then I'm not sure how you can be ripped off. Just make sure the garage understands that another party is at fault who'll be reimbursing you.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2005, 21:06   #5
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

just to worry you i have seen an old (not too old though, maybe about N reg) fiesta get written off for the cost of a new front axle, no idea how much it would have cost though
Unread 5 May 2005, 21:08   #6
JC
lolly roffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
N reg
Shit, and having a Rover wont help me
Unread 5 May 2005, 21:40   #7
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

I think that its pretty unlikely that it would bent the axle. I think you have just burst the homokinetic(sp) which is that thing which connects the wheel to the axle.
Anyways, if hes paying, i think you do deserve a new axle!!!
Unread 6 May 2005, 09:16   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

"Hello? Yes, the quote came in at £20,000. I know, i know, it seems excessive but you know what garages are like. Glad to hear you're still paying. Thanks."
Unread 6 May 2005, 10:45   #9
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

its unlikely youd bend the front axel. hitting the curb hard will destroy the tracking on the car which means it will drag to one side.

i guess tyres are around 30/40 quid each and the wheel itself a further 50/60 ish. somewhere round there. unless you have alloys.

take it to a dealer/garage tho
i suggest an AA centre. they are quite good and have proper certified technicians etc. plus 12month guarnatees.

i doubt its the axel tho. it does sound just like youve knocked the tracking completely to pot.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2005, 10:52   #10
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

actually id take it into a garage asap really. make sure they check the suspension and that it hasnt half collapsed like mine did when i was forced into a simliar situation (mine was down a lane and it was an oncoming loony in a van - for once i was doing about 30mph which was good)
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote