User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 27 Apr 2005, 13:54   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Screw you, O2

My contract expires in a month so I was looking for upgrades.
This was hindered to start with because it appears O2 have stopped offering upgrades online for some reason. However, I already decided I fancy the Sony Ericsson S700i and on the O2 online shop it was listed as free. I know it's only just come out, but last year I got the T630 free and that had only just come out and was also listed free at the time.
Anyway, on phoning the (extortionaltely priced) O2 upgrade line, I was quite surprised to be told it would cost £250. After a slight pause to get my breath back I said I'd phone back later.

Wtf?!
I looked on Vodafone's site and I can get it for free there, with an equivilant contract to the O2 Online 100 one I'm on now but for £5 less a month.
I phoned up O2 again and pointed this out but they refused to budge. I asked how they expected to retain customers when they were being undercut by £250, to which I got the usual "I'm sorry sir, that's the best we can offer it for", so I asked them if I could end the contract early as I was getting pissed off with the service, or lack thereof. No such luck.

Grr!
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 13:56   #2
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Screw you, O2

go to Orange, they treat their customers fairly.
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 14:07   #3
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Talking about desperated consumers
Quote:
please please take away all of my money and gimme xpensive gadgets i dont need for a blatant absurd price
:(
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 14:08   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Orange don't have that phone.

HOWEVER:
I just phoned the Vodafone telesales line and explained the situation, and as I hoped, they were so desperate to get a new contract customer that they've agreed to give me a month's free line rental to cover the time til the O2 contract runs out. So I'll just place a quick call to O2 to get my PAC number (so I can transfer the phone number) and then I'm good to go.
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 15:23   #5
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

There may be a small O2 admin charge to pay as well. Don`t cancel your old contract yet. Armed with the PAC number, your new service provider will initiate this process for you.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 15:52   #6
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyirt
There may be a small O2 admin charge to pay as well. Don`t cancel your old contract yet. Armed with the PAC number, your new service provider will initiate this process for you.
That's the same as Singlepoint apparently.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 16:33   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

afaik O2 don't charge for PAC.
And yeah I'm aware that the PAC also acts as cancellation when it's processed.
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 17:07   #8
ceres

ceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud of

You need to hold out for a better deal, i got them down to a free phone, Samsung D500 and now 500 free texts and 300 minutes cross network all for ?10 per month INCLUDING vat
________
Bongs

Last edited by ceres; 31 Aug 2011 at 07:00.
ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 17:12   #9
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The amount of o2 threads on this forum, complaining about their service (especially the online one) is phenomenal. We're the worst advertisement for them ever!
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 17:28   #10
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

everyone knows that o2 online are incredibly shit and have the worst customer service EVER
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 17:43   #11
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

it's illegal to charge for the PAC number.
I was told (by O2 interestingly enough) that they have to give you your PAC number on request. If they start talking about charging you, start talking about OFTEL.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 19:29   #12
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

I would have held out for more, but:

The phone was £250 more than Voda.
The O2 contract was £60/year more than Voda.
I very much doubt they'd find £310 from somewhere when I've only been with them for a year anyway.
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 23:18   #13
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceres
You need to hold out for a better deal, i got them down to a free phone, Samsung D500 and now 500 free texts and 300 minutes cross network all for £10 per month INCLUDING vat
I cant see how holding out got you that deal, please explain how you achieved this.
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 23:23   #14
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
it's illegal to charge for the PAC number.
I was told (by O2 interestingly enough) that they have to give you your PAC number on request. If they start talking about charging you, start talking about OFTEL.
I remember a case about this regarding Singlepoint. They went in favour to Singlepoint to charge this poor lady £29 for her PAC code.

It also depends what network you request a PAC code from. Virgin Mobile will give it to you there & then while Vodafone would normally take 5 working days to generate one.
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 23:24   #15
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Easy:
"Hi, yes, can I have a PAC code please?"
"Certainly sir, may I ask why you're thinking of cancelling?"
"Well, I found I can get <insert phone here> free on <insert other network here>, but it costs loads to upgrade to it with you."
"Bear with me, I'll see what I can do for you first."
"mkay"

At this point offers of money off the upgrade, line rental discounts, and extra free minutes/text messages usually commence. Futher non-commital mumblings on your part may make more desperate gestures materialise.

Unfortunately in my case it was fairly clear there was no way they could make up a £310 defecit between their offer and Vodafone's.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 10:49   #16
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

They could if they wanted to.

£250 for that phone is a hell of a lot more than the network actually pays for it. They probably pay in the region of £150 per set, now, I'll wager you're average bills are in the £30 department? So they'd get the handset money back in 5 months, the discount on rental in another 2 months, another 2 months money gos on running costs, network expenses etc, but they'd still earn £90 out of you over the year, better than a kick in the nuts.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 10:53   #17
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

My bill tends to be £25 exactly as I always nearly, but not quite, use all my free minutes (never going to use 500txts). Also I'd imagine they don't get the new subscriber subsidy (sp?) when they're upgrading an existing customer.
And remember, I can get an almost identical contract on vodafone for only £20. The only difference is 250txts instead of 500 which is fine, as that's about the max i've ever used.

Couple that with vodafone giving me free line rental for a month while the O2 contract runs out then I really don't see how I could come out of it better if I stuck with O2.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 10:58   #18
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Not saying you could get a better deal, but O2 could have gone through the hassle of keeping you as a customer if they'd felt the need. For example if they'd come out and after some pressure offered you the phone for nothing, most people would have jumped at that instead of looking around for a better deal etc.

Also, O2 wont pay themselves a subsidy for upgrading you, you're dealing directly with the network so they're going to get your money anyway.

It normally takes a good 18 months to 2 years for a network to make a profit off your 'average' customer, so I'd have expected them to at least try to hold onto you.

It could also be that they're under some kind of pressure to get people off their overly generous web deals, and onto a more standard price plan.This thread has reminded me I need to call up O2 and tell them I want a new handset.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 11:28   #19
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
I remember a case about this regarding Singlepoint. They went in favour to Singlepoint to charge this poor lady £29 for her PAC code.

It also depends what network you request a PAC code from. Virgin Mobile will give it to you there & then while Vodafone would normally take 5 working days to generate one.
In my experience only Singlepoint even say anything about charging for the PAC code.
I think I requested a good couple of hundred PAC codes for customers when I was at T-mobile and as soon as singlepoint said they were going to charge I casually mentioned OFTEL and every time they backed down.

I don't think I've ever heard a good word said about that company.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 11:29   #20
ceres

ceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madina
I cant see how holding out got you that deal, please explain how you achieved this.

I called up and said i'd like to cancel my contract, they enquired why and i told them i'd just spoken to the 3 network who had offered me 500 free texts and 200 free minutes per month for ?13 including vat. I was then told they could beat the price and give me 100 free minutes extra.
________
SugarSophie

Last edited by ceres; 31 Aug 2011 at 07:00.
ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 13:31   #21
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
They could if they wanted to.

£250 for that phone is a hell of a lot more than the network actually pays for it. They probably pay in the region of £150 per set.

Usually the cost of the phone for the network is 25 - 33% of the price they charge you.

Just an edit to say thats the wholesale price.

Last edited by TheShadowMan; 28 Apr 2005 at 13:34. Reason: forgot something and typo
TheShadowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 14:02   #22
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
I don't think I've ever heard a good word said about that company.
Seconded.