User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 21 Feb 2005, 23:51   #1
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of
being a proxy server (cry for help eh)

Does anyone knows any good software so i can be a proxy server and accept incoming connections from people in the internet?

All the proxy servers ive found are meant to be used in lans or intranet for sharing net connection which sucks and stuff....

please help me!
i give good reputation!
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 00:14   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: being a proxy server (cry for help eh)

why on earth would you want to act as an open proxy server? thats asking for trouble
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 00:18   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

a) Erm, a proxy server is a proxy server. If you set it up to use your internal interface then it's for your LAN. If you set it up to use your external interface (see b) then it's for the Internet

b) You're out of your mind. Unless you know what you're doing the result is an open proxy server, which can be used by anyone to forward anything. This is exactly the sort of thing that makes your average spammer's day. Many IRC networks (Netgamers included last time I checked) will scan for open proxies and boot you off the network if you have one.
They are a risk and a liability, and unless you have very good reason you shouldn't even be considering this.
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 00:26   #4
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Use Squid.

Don't use any microsoft proxy software unless you like spending time rebooting the proxy server.

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 00:34   #5
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
b) You're out of your mind.
This cannot be emphasized enough.
wanting to run an OPEN proxy server is madness
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 00:36   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I forgot to mention - if you don't lock it down properly and end up running it open, your ISP will almost certainly boot you with as soon as they discover it, or as soon as they notice the traffic it's generating as spam mail gets routed through it - whichever happens first.
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 00:37   #7
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
This cannot be emphasized enough.
wanting to run an OPEN proxy server is madness
I don't think I would allow Muslim to work anywhere near a computer.

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 00:49   #8
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
why on earth would you want to act as an open proxy server? thats asking for trouble
I didnt say AT ALL i want to be an open proxy
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 00:51   #9
Phil^
Insomniac

if its to be accepting connections from the internet you better have some very very very restrictive firewall rules for it.
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 00:52   #10
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
a) Erm, a proxy server is a proxy server. If you set it up to use your internal interface then it's for your LAN. If you set it up to use your external interface (see b) then it's for the Internet
yeah a little bit obvious there...

Have I mentioned that the free proxy softwares for windows are meant to be run on lans and do not work on teh internetweb? I think so....

Quote:
b) You're out of your mind. Unless you know what you're doing the result is an open proxy server, which can be used by anyone to forward anything. This is exactly the sort of thing that makes your average spammer's day. Many IRC networks (Netgamers included last time I checked) will scan for open proxies and boot you off the network if you have one.
They are a risk and a liability, and unless you have very good reason you shouldn't even be considering this.
At no point i said i would act as an open proxy. I will run it to myself so i can connect to said proxy server at work.
The iprange of said proxy would be 1 ip: Mine
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 00:57   #11
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaio
Use Squid.

Don't use any microsoft proxy software unless you like spending time rebooting the proxy server.

~Vaio~
im not in the mood for installing linux
are you pretty sure that there is no semi-decent windows compatible web proxy server?
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 01:00   #12
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Does analogx not do the job? Or is that purely LAN? I'm sure that could work.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 01:02   #13
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Does analogx not do the job? Or is that purely LAN? I'm sure that could work.
ive tried that => lan port lan port

but thanks for the attention nevertheless
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 01:16   #14
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
ive tried that => lan port lan port

but thanks for the attention nevertheless
Even if you type in the (presumably static) IP of your work into the region?

(I accept rep points for effort )
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 01:17   #15
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
im not in the mood for installing linux
are you pretty sure that there is no semi-decent windows compatible web proxy server?
There are NO not even close to remotely decent windows compatible web proxy servers.

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 01:39   #16
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Even if you type in the (presumably static) IP of your work into the region?

(I accept rep points for effort )
yeah i got you some gooŽld reputations pointz
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 04:02   #17
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: being a proxy server (cry for help eh)

I know this comes too late, but who indeed said that he wanted an OPEN proxy. Firewall rules (i.e. allowing ONE IP) or dynamic IPs solve some problems. Often you just want a proxy from a friend to access certain sites that are banned quickly. Or when you test your own network and you don't have a proxy at hand.

Also, aren't there firewall-proxy-things like SOCKS4 and SOCKS5 that require authentification?

There you have your "open proxy to the internet", but still secured.
You screaming mob.

Anyway, I can recommend JANA-Server. Dunno if it works on the internet, but I'm almost certain it should. Given the right configuration.
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 10:12   #18
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

my bet is that he wants to accountshare in some game without ****ing up with the IP's etc
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 10:12   #19
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

ISA Server.

Ignore what people say about it being Microsoft crap, once you get your head around the configuration of it then it's a great piece of software.

Anyone who says otherwise simply doesn't know how to configure it correctly.

I mean, I can't get internet access at home after 7pm. It doesn't let me run IRC or any file sharing programs, which stops me being illegal.

Wonderful software.

If you even think about installing it, I'll hunt you down myself.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 10:17   #20
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

"Security begins at the door"
Does you daddy keep the door to the server locked?
Unread 22 Feb 2005, 11:03   #21
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy
ISA Server.

Ignore what people say about it being Microsoft crap, once you get your head around the configuration of it then it's a great piece of software.

Anyone who says otherwise simply doesn't know how to configure it correctly.

I mean, I can't get internet access at home after 7pm. It doesn't let me run IRC or any file sharing programs, which stops me being illegal.

Wonderful software.

If you even think about installing it, I'll hunt you down myself.
And it's priced so reasonably too.......

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !