User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Aug 2007, 12:44   #1
SpookyVince
The Force of Spookyness

SpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really nice
The Garbage Collection ship?

I was reading the other thread about new ships, and I had this idea of a new ship that would be a "salvage collector" ship.

Basically, the idea is that the ship will not be attacking anything, but would collect salvage from combat, attacker or defender side no matter. Each ship would have a limited capacity, and its initiative could be set to 50 for instance (or really anything else, since it does not attack). Those could also be used as flak against EMP, but that would be the only other role they would have.

They could be of a class that has pods for each race.

This would bring a new dimension to combats, as both defenders & attackers could collect salvage, and potentially a lot (maybe up to 50% of the whole ship value loss? - discuss).

I think this could be a good alternative to the former Cargo Ships.

Tell me what you think!
Unread 4 Aug 2007, 14:05   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: The Garbage Collection ship?

I rather like this idea at first glance, but I want to think about it for a bit before giving a definitive opinion.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2007, 15:03   #3
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Well this could lead to an unfair advantage for large players who could afford a lot more of them then smaller players. It would make it easier for them to attack, and harder to attack them (because they would get more salvage for defense). Unless there is some sort of cap on how effective they can be, I'm not sure this is a good idea.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2007, 15:22   #4
SpookyVince
The Force of Spookyness

SpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really nice

The cap is of course the number of ships present, and the killings... And there would be a limit anyhow... I don't know, I mentioned 50% but it could be more, or less... That needs to be discussed & calculated, etc.

Unfair for the large players? Well large players can't be easily attacked by small players anyhow... Instead, small players can attack and gain slightly more than before, by obtaining roids, but salvage as well...

A side effect would also be that people would hesitate less to let some ships die (for defence or attack as well), and that can lead the game to be more than just "launch, check def, recall if def" as many just do...
Unread 5 Aug 2007, 05:49   #5
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

not to overpower it, it could be nice if you add a new building to store and recycle the garbage collected...
Unread 5 Aug 2007, 11:23   #6
SpookyVince
The Force of Spookyness

Heh why not? A recycling center... I take it the idea is also there to have a limited amount of ressources recycled per tick... Population setting could also be set there as a factor determining how much, or how fast recycling centers work.

Thanks Makhil for the nice complement in the idea
Unread 5 Aug 2007, 14:27   #7
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

The idea of salvage is to reduce the effect been attacked has on a small player so that they cant be anhilalated. This removes that so it is a big no from me.
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2007, 16:55   #8
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

I believe this has been suggested a few times before, someone with some time might do a search for "salvage ships" or something and find out why the previous suggestion(s) died...

(I'm too busy atm!)

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2007, 17:09   #9
AdmV0rl0n

AdmV0rl0n is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the basic idea.

In terms of the ships and salvage, the salvage collection is currently capped.
What if salvage from battle was bigger. Say 80% for the sake of argument.

To offset the attacker, defender/ big planet/small planet argument, what if the CAP *per turn still remained, but salvage remained in orbit of the planet. So, the defending planet (would be different I spose in terms of being waved..?) would continue to collect salvage from orbit until all salvage was collected.

Attacking fleets that sent the salvage ships, get their share of salvage (which would be part of a limited cap per tick..) in orbit, but obviously only the one tick they are in orbit.

The only thing I will add, is I think salvage ships should be killable.

Ad
Unread 5 Aug 2007, 18:25   #10
Gerbie2
Alive and kicking

Gerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to all

So if you get your fleet (including your salvage ships) destroyed, you get no salvage? But if you bash another player, you can take salvage home for destroying his fleet. I don't like how this could work out.
Gerbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote