User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 15 Jun 2008, 14:10   #1
Aedolaws

Aedolaws is on a distinguished road
Limited Prelaunches

It just came to me last night after reading the significant post.

THE IDEA:

How about this: Paid accounts start with X (i.e. 100) hours of pre-launches. Unpaid, with 10 lets say, so they can get a flavor of the concept too.

RATIONALE:

(1) It is just an idea that I think is a compromise between 0 pre-launch, and unlimited 12+ hours pre-launches. I do think pre-launch is a must, however, I also know how frustrating the current system is, especially to new players. Limited pre-launches offers the best of both worlds.

(2) This way, the players and the alliances can manage their activity. Most people could save them for weekends or special nights they won't be around. Some may use solely for defense, others solely for offensive. And there will be those that will use them 1 by 1 or 2 by 2, for an edge (and to go to bed at midnight) until they run out.

(3) Re defense pre-launches. Why allow players to indiscriminately have 1, 2 or even 3 pre-launched defense fleet at all times? Who are the beneficiaries of this system, the average players (i.e. 100 to 700), or the top 100? or the bottom 100? I am not sure, I would say, F*** it, limit the hours for everyone. Scarcity (the invisible hand of the market) would take care of fairness. If you do choose to blow your 100 in a week by covering your buddy all the time, well, good or bad, thats your choice, an may be a good or a bad one, but is yours to make.

BEYOND THE IDEA:

As an added twist to the idea. You could make it as different races have different pre-launches total hours. For example, make the cats with unlimited pre-launch (the defensive race right?) while Xan with 0 (the offensive race right?) - OR VICEVERSA!; then maybe the terrans can be the middle ones, with X number of hours; while the other two can have more or less than terrans. Or something like this, again, this can be tweaked every round.

Heh, I am never sure how much coding would it take. I am not a tech wizard. X can be tweak every round, or even within the round.

I will try to not write again. Now, be mean as usual!

Last edited by Aedolaws; 15 Jun 2008 at 21:26.
Aedolaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2008, 14:17   #2
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Limited Prelaunches

Will this account for attack only, or for defence too?

I can imagine that defence would soak up quite a lot of that time in short order.
Imagine the ticks lost when setting a fleet into +12 prelaunch defence to avoid incs?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2008, 14:22   #3
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

This idea is not significantly different from the ones posted in other remove/reduce prelaunch threads. In the end, you'll end up with people capable of live launching at 4am and people who aren't. The only difference is that you have a level playing field for a few ticks (depending on X) during which everyone can launch at 4am.

It's worth repeating that I'm not against this suggestion. All I'm saying is that it's incorrect to label it as anything but the same idea in a new coat.

I've however found that none of you actually realise that reducing (in whatever way) and removing prelaunch boils down to the exact same thing, so I guess this is going to be another 4 page topic on the pros and cons of this way and that way.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2008, 15:09   #4
Osidiradadumpf

Osidiradadumpf can only hope to improve

Why not make those 'prelauch' boxes something you can research?? Ofcourse all races should start with a bunch of prelaunches..

One tricky thing is that players use prelaunch to protect their own ships.. so the number of dead ships would increase. You might want to give ways to earn more prelaunch hours.. Like for each hour defending ingal you get another prelaunch hour?? :-)
Osidiradadumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2008, 18:23   #5
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold

not a good idea.. its just yet MORE bollocks people learning to play have to think about. Prelaunch shouldnt be rationed or awarded .. it should either be there or not be there. Im tired of seeing all of these "fixes" to problems that occur. Stop trying to patch the dead inner tube and just buy a new tube!
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote