User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 29 May 2008, 21:28   #1
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice
Exclamation Planetarion for new players

Your new to Planetarion?
You want to signup a planet, but you dont know how? Or you just signed up a planet and dont know what to do next?
You find much stuff on these forums but don´t know what to read first?

Here is your help!

Planetarion Step by Step

Step 1: Signup a Planet

Pretty easy one. go to http://game.planetarion.com/signup.pl and signup a planet
Which Race to choose?
This is a tough one, cause there is NO best pick, every race is (well played) able to win the game.
Choose anything to start with.You will be able to change it later (The first 5 ticks after you signed up)

Step 2: Install a irc client

Its no must to install a irc client, as Planetarion is providing a web based irc version, but you will notice after a while, its much easier and comfortable with a irc client. Now you may be a bit scared and ask "for what do i need a irc client, why do i have to chat ?". The Community is a big factor in this browser game, you fight together, defend each other, discuss certain strategies and sometimes even become friends. (Actually the community is for some players the bigger reason to play another round, then the game itself )

Here is a nice IRC Guide posted with all information you need >>> http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196261

Step 3: Get to know your galaxy mates

Your gal most likely has a irc channel, in general its posted in the Message from the Commanders (On Overview of your planet). If you don´t find a irc channel there, or no message at all, mail your GC (Galactic Commander), its the planet in Blue when you load the Galaxy Page.
Remember there is a Shuffle at tick 36 (which will shuffle the whole universe and teleport every planet to a new destination), so no need to get to know your Galaxy Mates before that (and most likely your gal has no irc channel at that time).

Step 4: Start developing your Planet

Now that you signed up, joined IRC and hopefully sit in a Galaxy Channel you may wanna actual start with the game itself.
In best case you ask ur galaxy mates to help you, thats always easier then reading manual or guides. (If you sit in a gal before the universe is shuffled, it may help you to get a Alliance first, which will help you developing ur planet -> Move on to Step 5 in that case)

Anyhow a guide to start with here:

New Player Manual >>> http://www.clawofdarkness.com/pawiki..._Player_Manual

Step 5: Join a Alliance

Planetarion is a Multiplayer Game and your not alone playing against the universe, you teamwork with others to manage a bigger score and to fight your enemies. Next to your Galaxy Mates (which will try to stick together and have your gal placed high up the ranks) you should have an Alliance (some may say the Alliance is even more important then the gal). Alliances provide you with Defence if you need it, and also offer Attacks you can join in, they help you with scans, with your fleetsetup and with developing your Planet. Ofc there are diffrent types of Alliances in Planetarion, some may accept new Players right away, while others demand that you have played the game before, and have people in it who will have to vouch for you.
You can find several Alliances with open Recruitment here >>> http://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37
To make it a bit easier, there is a list of Alliances which accept New Players and are willing to help developing your planet at the bottom of this thread.

Now that you have contact to your galaxy mates and have a Alliance your pretty much settled. There is ofc much more Stuff to learn about, and the game itself keeps developing, but you should have a nice start now and a place where you can go and can ask for help.
Before i let you loose on all those Links and Forum Posts, i give you a little collection of more useful stuff which you will need the coming days, nights and weeks. And as promised earlier a collection of Alliances recruiting totally new players.
All what is left for me to say now is

Welcome to Planetarion!!!

Useful Links:

Shipstats >>> http://jpaweb01.planetarion.com/manual.php?page=stats
Shipstats, most interesting to start with are the Shipclasses and the target Classes

Tactics Thread >>> http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=187541
A very nice compilation of the diffrent Attack/Defence Tactics

Battle Calculator >>> http://bcalc.roid.me.uk/index.php
You can paste Ships of Defender and Attacker from every Planetarion Page (Scans, Overview, MissionPage etc...)

Statistics Page >>> http://www.sandmans.co.uk/
Useful for several things, especially to figure out more information about your target, not necessary needed for new players, but always helpful and nice to look at

Statistics, Tools & Other usefull Stuff >>> http://tools.lch-hq.org/
Collection of several useful Planetarion Related Links

Useful Links | Forum Post >>> http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=169297
A Compilation of many many links, more or less useful for new Players. Worth to take a look, if you have much time to read and analyze

Alliances recommened for New Players:
Those are Alliances which dont demand that you have played the game before and are willing to guide u

ASS
IRC Channel: #ASSpublic
Requirements: Daily IRC activity and a good sense of humor
Recruitment Thread: http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196491

F-Crew
IRC Channel: #F-Crew
Requirements: IRC activity and willingness to learn, no vouches required
Recruitment Thread: http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196542

Hidden Agenda
IRC Channel: #hidden-a
Requirements: see Recruitment Thread
Recruitment Thread: http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196219

Howling Rain
IRC Channel: #hr
Requirements: see Recruitment Thread
Recruitment Thread: http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196244

Orbit
IRC Channel: #orbit (netgamers)
Recruitment Thread: http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196488

Rock
IRC Channel: #rock
Recruitment Thread: http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196469

Vengeance
IRC Channel: #vgn (netgamers)
Requirements: activity ingame and irc, will to learn about the game and to help out
Recruitment Thread: http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196474

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"

Last edited by M0RPH3US; 3 Jun 2008 at 16:13.
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2008, 21:36   #2
Ace
PA Team

Ace is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the rough
Re: Planetarion for new players

http://tools.lch-hq.org/
seems you forgot this one
#multihunters
----------------------------
Former HC - Conspiracy Theory -
- Proud to have served as -
- High Commander and CEO -
[]LCH[] ...lets change history
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2008, 21:40   #3
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Add Orbit / #orbit, ROCK / #rock, F-Crew / #f-crew. I don't think I'd be far off the mark if I said the recruitment requirements for all these are "IRC activity and willingness to learn, no vouches required".
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2008, 21:40   #4
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

Well, there is already a thread for useful links in the strategic discussion forum. So you could add them there.
With regards to new players seeking an alliance, I think they are often even not aware of this forum. When I direct new players to the forum I also inform them about the alliance recruitment thread. Then they can read and make up their own mind.
In summary, I like your effort, but direct the effort ingame and send the new players to alliance recruitment forum to sort out themselves an alliance.

Cheers.
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2008, 21:43   #5
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
http://tools.lch-hq.org/
seems you forgot this one
thx, and added

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Add Orbit / #orbit, ROCK / #rock, F-Crew / #f-crew. I don't think I'd be far off the mark if I said the recruitment requirements for all these are "IRC activity and willingness to learn, no vouches required".
Added, hopefully i dont get flamed by their HC now

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"

Last edited by M0RPH3US; 29 May 2008 at 22:00.
Unread 29 May 2008, 22:00   #6
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Membrivio
Well, there is already a thread for useful links in the strategic discussion forum. So you could add them there.
With regards to new players seeking an alliance, I think they are often even not aware of this forum. When I direct new players to the forum I also inform them about the alliance recruitment thread. Then they can read and make up their own mind.
In summary, I like your effort, but direct the effort ingame and send the new players to alliance recruitment forum to sort out themselves an alliance.

Cheers.
Ok i´ll look at that thread ur referring (the url would have been nice )
regarding alliances, there is so many recruiting alliances, and i want to safe new players which are totally new to the game from doing several recruitment runs to alliances which wouldnt even consider takin em. And allso reading every single recruitment thread (Imagine as u was totally new to the game, how much stuff was it to learn, now ofc u think actually we all do, PA is easy and it isnt much, but thats diffrent for a total new player.)

My Effort, has the aim, that a new Player has all in one Thread, where he doesnt have to read all answers posted (skip the flaming *g*) and has all information he needs to have a funny and succesful round.
We can´t expect every new player to read and seek all forum posts of 8 PA years (dunno how many it is exact)

Unread 29 May 2008, 22:12   #7
Membrivio

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US
Ok i´ll look at that thread ur referring (the url would have been nice )
regarding alliances, there is so many recruiting alliances, and i want to safe new players which are totally new to the game from doing several recruitment runs to alliances which wouldnt even consider takin em. And allso reading every single recruitment thread (Imagine as u was totally new to the game, how much stuff was it to learn, now ofc u think actually we all do, PA is easy and it isnt much, but thats diffrent for a total new player.)

My Effort, has the aim, that a new Player has all in one Thread, where he doesnt have to read all answers posted (skip the flaming *g*) and has all information he needs to have a funny and succesful round.
We can´t expect every new player to read and seek all forum posts of 8 PA years (dunno how many it is exact)
The URL:
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=169297

I think reading a few first posts of alliances can work quite refreshing tbh. If they cba to read one or two (therefore you have ingal comms!) why would they bother to learn?
When I returned as a player I read almost all threads and ended up being Orbit. (Poor them)
About the last remark: only the most recent ones are displayed, so don't worry for people having to read 8 years back.

Other alliances to add if you wish to continue this effort:
ASS / #asspublic
Howling Rain / #hr
Redemption / #redemption
Hidden Agenda? I dont know what their channel is.
I am not sure whether Rock wishes to be in this thread, they can be somewhat more professional

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Unread 29 May 2008, 22:16   #8
Membrivio

And a last fatherly advice (lol): never put at the end of the message you don't wish to be flamed. Remarkably enough people often feel invited by such comments

Unread 29 May 2008, 22:21   #9
MikeB
i love ROCK

MikeB will become famous soon enoughMikeB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am not sure whether Rock wishes to be in this thread, they can be somewhat more professional
we're flattered mem

but as ever with us, its more who you are than how much you have played..

if someone is already a capable player, or willing to learn how to be one, they are ok by us!

However, while new players are more than welcome to apply.. we will probably have a preference for returning players (particularly ex-ROCKers, ofc)

p.s. good idea M0RPH3US!

Last edited by MikeB; 29 May 2008 at 22:28.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2008, 22:25   #10
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
And a last fatherly advice (lol): never put at the end of the message you don't wish to be flamed. Remarkably enough people often feel invited by such comments
lol
instantly removing....

thx

Unread 29 May 2008, 23:18   #11
Fatrick
Farmer Smurf

Fatrick can only hope to improve

FFS M0..you could have at least put in the best new member ally...I thought after sharing a gal with you for a round it the least you could have done!

I have no rival; No man can be my equal
Fatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2008, 23:27   #12
Smokeh
Kitty handler

Smokeh will become famous soon enoughSmokeh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
You won't hear any complaints from me, that's right on the money for F-Crew
Unread 29 May 2008, 23:53   #13
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatrick
FFS M0..you could have at least put in the best new member ally...I thought after sharing a gal with you for a round it the least you could have done!
lol

sorry mr farmer smurf

i added ASS just for ur kind post

even on the top (what cause its alphabetical ? no way, cause its u )

Unread 29 May 2008, 23:59   #14
Membrivio

Hey m8, have a glance at post #7 where I also mentioned some other alli's

Unread 30 May 2008, 00:00   #15
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
Hey m8, have a glance at post #7 where I also mentioned some other alli's
waiting for them to show up and cry to be added

enough for now to not make it look like a VGN recruitment post

Unread 30 May 2008, 00:46   #16
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

This thread is horrible. New players, I recommend you take a look in the recruitment forum and in the strategy forum for tips on how to play this game.
Unread 30 May 2008, 01:11   #17
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
This thread is horrible. New players, I recommend you take a look in the recruitment forum and in the strategy forum for tips on how to play this game.
Thx, always a pleasure...

I am trying to compilate the most recent stuff and primary things here Mr. Kargool
This is an effort to get new players to stay, and not leave after 5 logins

What do u do if u have a new guy at work ? Gonna explain him step for step or tell "There is the machines, some guys work there, go find out urself!"

Unread 30 May 2008, 04:22   #18
exblade
that one dude

exblade has a spectacular aura aboutexblade has a spectacular aura aboutexblade has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
way to try and help the promotion of planetarion so ppl dont just say "this sucks" and never play again, which seems to be a common thing now.

FYI M0, thruds ftw.
#denial
#nox.public
#newdawn
#tof
but i donno their rec stuff so youd have to get them to say something.

and btw, threads like this just seem to have stopped since early round 20's so i think this is a good way to get people more involved. we should keep updating the "hc an alliance 101 thingy" thread also. people just dont seem to have the willingness to update those things - pass them on to people who will. i will, m0 will, and im sure other people will also. see thats the part that annoys me - ive been told on and on that players are starting to get more involved in RL things, and getting older, and jobs are getting in the way, and yeah i understand, but there are people willing to take things on so pass it on.

ok im done ranting
sorry kargools comment really pissed me off
ROCK - DC [ROCK]
The Galactic Vikings - DC [TGV]
Vengeance - DC [VGN]
CareBears - DC [CB]

Rounds 9.5,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,19,26,27,28,38
exblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2008, 04:31   #19
[ND]Kar

[ND]Kar is just really nice[ND]Kar is just really nice[ND]Kar is just really nice[ND]Kar is just really nice

great post actually, i hope that any new members that come to the forum they will find these tools and alliance recommendations useful.
For me
And I'm Feeling Good
[ND]Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2008, 06:26   #20
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The Useful Links thread that i have on Strategy is both a resource for current players looking for advanced information and a one-stop-resource for new players.

Now, often they (should be) the same. But in other areas they are different, which is why i tried to describe a bit of the things on the side and include colourful notes for useful things for new players.

If this thread is (trying) to do the same thing, why not help me modernise the Useful Links thread on strategy? I dont have the time to go about writing new guides for every aspect of the game, nor keep up-to-date with shifting alliances (though i try to link to the most current Alliance Overview thread on AR). I'd definitely like suggestions on how to improve the existing thread; is there much point running two concurrently?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2008, 10:55   #21
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Thx, always a pleasure...

I am trying to compilate the most recent stuff and primary things here Mr. Kargool
This is an effort to get new players to stay, and not leave after 5 logins

What do u do if u have a new guy at work ? Gonna explain him step for step or tell "There is the machines, some guys work there, go find out urself!"
I've seen way to many failed attempt at being "newbie" friendly to even care about your "sound" arguments. Help UN instead, he's been helping new people on the forums for years instead of this on a whim idea you have that you will get bored by in 2 weeks.
Unread 30 May 2008, 11:19   #22
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

As well meant as this thread is it's just, like Kargool and UN said your best just messaging him and using your motivation to help improve his already in place thread

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2008, 15:22   #23
HeimdallR

HeimdallR will become famous soon enoughHeimdallR will become famous soon enough

Alliances recomended for New Players:
Those are Alliances which dont demand that u played the game before and are willing to guide u

thx for adding hidden agenda to that list
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196219

our public channel is #hidden-a

If life hands you lemons, drink more tequila

After the game is over the king and the pawn end up in the same box

HA - asc -rdm-asc-VR- #ODDR - APP
Finally retired
HeimdallR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2008, 17:17   #24
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
The Useful Links thread that i have on Strategy is both a resource for current players looking for advanced information and a one-stop-resource for new players.

Now, often they (should be) the same. But in other areas they are different, which is why i tried to describe a bit of the things on the side and include colourful notes for useful things for new players.

If this thread is (trying) to do the same thing, why not help me modernise the Useful Links thread on strategy? I dont have the time to go about writing new guides for every aspect of the game, nor keep up-to-date with shifting alliances (though i try to link to the most current Alliance Overview thread on AR). I'd definitely like suggestions on how to improve the existing thread; is there much point running two concurrently?
tried to chat to u on irc, but didnt find u yet, so i post a answer here

yes ur right, there is no need to have 2 threads of link collections.

Still i see a need for a thread who just fits for what a complete new player needs, and in ur thread its just simply too much information to start with.

I will change my thread into somewhat of a Step for Step Guide instead of a link collection. But/And i will link to ur Thread for further useful information.

I just see the need of a more complex (less scareh) variant of what u and others have done allready

I put the Effort in for now, and hopefully it will take some effect, if not it was plain wasted time, but thats ok, time is not my problem atm

Unread 1 Jun 2008, 01:40   #25
M0RPH3US
idle

Ok i changed it now into a Step to Step Guide for Starters

i like it more and find it more useful now.

maybe u agree

/me stares at Kargool

Unread 1 Jun 2008, 01:46   #26
Tharky
Pointless discussions

Tharky is an unknown quantity at this point

Why bother to be condescending towards anything that might increase the chances of new players to actually try this game out? Why even bother to read it if ur not new.?
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 04:01   #27
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
tried to chat to u on irc, but didnt find u yet, so i post a answer here
Ah yeah, i've not been a big user of IRC recently as i'm trying to finish off my thesis which is due this week. I'm trying to avoid distractions. Alas, i still find myself coming to this board .

We'll have a chat later .
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 07:29   #28
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

I'll remove the step 1 and use that guide on the galaxy forum or even better as the automatic welcome message.

Thanks for the good work
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 07:35   #29
exblade
that one dude

exblade has a spectacular aura aboutexblade has a spectacular aura aboutexblade has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I've seen way to many failed attempt at being "newbie" friendly to even care about your "sound" arguments. Help UN instead, he's been helping new people on the forums for years instead of this on a whim idea you have that you will get bored by in 2 weeks.
are you just completely against helping the community grow or what?
ROCK - DC [ROCK]
The Galactic Vikings - DC [TGV]
Vengeance - DC [VGN]
CareBears - DC [CB]

Rounds 9.5,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,19,26,27,28,38
exblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 10:00   #30
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Incompetent help is worse than no help at all.
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 10:10   #31
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exblade
are you just completely against helping the community grow or what?
I am totally against this game getting new players. Didn't you know that?
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 10:10   #32
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furball
Well, the latest revision isnt actually too bad. The first step "create a planet" help show where people should be at once they get to this thread finally.

I would have worded and phrased things differently (the 'u' instead of 'you' pains me to tears), but then i've a bit of a reputation for not being concise.
Isnt that right, furbeh? .
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 10:28   #33
Fatrick
Farmer Smurf

Fatrick can only hope to improve

good work m0..starting to take on a bit of shape now keep it up

I have no rival; No man can be my equal
Fatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 11:43   #34
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
For two Reasons i have to disagree here

First i dont regard my help, or this thread as incompetent
and
Secondly even if it was really incompetent its still better then no help at all, cause it make new players feel takin care of. So any help is good help imo.

"Doing something wrong is better then doing nothing at all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Well, the latest revision isnt actually too bad. The first step "create a planet" help show where people should be at once they get to this thread finally.

I would have worded and phrased things differently (the 'u' instead of 'you' pains me to tears), but then i've a bit of a reputation for not being concise.
Isnt that right, furbeh? .
Replacing the uīs now

And english isnt my native language, so rephrasing the one or other sentence has to be done.

iīll keep editing

Unread 1 Jun 2008, 15:10   #35
VenoX

VenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant future

I sent this link to a newb that mailed me ingal. That was my attempt at being nice.
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 18:17   #36
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Far be it from me to burn down the incompetent and stupid, but I find this topic to be rather good, as far as newbie help topics go. M0RPH3US' English skills are indeed not the best I've ever seen, but it's readable and understandable; pretty much exactly the thing that should come from official sources, but doesn't.

Good job. Stickify please.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2008, 08:53   #37
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenoX
I sent this link to a newb that mailed me ingal. That was my attempt at being nice.
you gonna exile him now?

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2008, 09:43   #38
Ghosteh
Pariah

Ghosteh is a jewel in the roughGhosteh is a jewel in the roughGhosteh is a jewel in the rough

Now we need a 'Planetarion forums for new posters' thread detailing how to avoid getting stomped when you try to help the newbies.
Ghosteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2008, 09:51   #39
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosteh
Now we need a 'Planetarion forums for new posters' thread detailing how to avoid getting stomped when you try to help the newbies.
And/or for the 're-education' of posters who need to improve their skillz.
Unread 2 Jun 2008, 13:34   #40
Membrivio

Quote:
Ok i changed it now into a Step to Step Guide for Starters

i like it more and find it more useful now.

maybe u agree
I do agree, great work!

P.s: Not all u's (meaning "you") are replaced! Hurry!

Unread 2 Jun 2008, 15:14   #41
RuBBeR
speCTacular

RuBBeR has a spectacular aura aboutRuBBeR has a spectacular aura aboutRuBBeR has a spectacular aura about

Nice work man! (y)
R30 BREAK

RuBBeR has a speCTacular aura about
RuBBeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2008, 22:46   #42
Gary
xVx Peon

Gary is an unknown quantity at this point

Good thread. The more threads spammed around the forum that is designed to help new players must be encouraged
Unread 14 Jun 2008, 08:38   #43
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

tbh i think this is a great post for new players. Reminds me of the old Mentors team project for new players/alliances which of course failed. Shame really but nice thread

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2008, 09:57   #44
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I took the liberty of editing it and put the modified version in a .txt here.

The original post was long-winded & had several errors. I've tried to fix what I found and have cut the word count from about 1000 to 600. I'd consider dropping all of the 'alliances recommended for new players' or just picking a handful (3 or so) and just linking to the Recruitment forum. It's getting needlessly long, as most allies accept completely new players. Alternatively, get a new 'alliances playing round xx' thread up, link to that, and suggest they pick one which doesn't require vouches.

Finally I'd suggest removing the bold on the titles, it makes them hard to read.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2008, 10:34   #45
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

The link to PA wiki on your .txt file isnt going to work, Gate .
Unread 14 Jun 2008, 10:35   #46
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate

The original post was long-winded & had several errors. I've tried to fix what I found and have cut the word count from about 1000 to 600. I'd consider dropping all of the 'alliances recommended for new players' or just picking a handful (3 or so) and just linking to the Recruitment forum. It's getting needlessly long, as most allies accept completely new players. Alternatively, get a new 'alliances playing round xx' thread up, link to that, and suggest they pick one which doesn't require vouches.

Finally I'd suggest removing the bold on the titles, it makes them hard to read.
i remmember you when you were a youngen who couldnt even use irc.. when did you get so technical?

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2008, 11:39   #47
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin
i remmember you when you were a youngen who couldnt even use irc.. when did you get so technical?
I still can't use IRC

I've always known how to spell 'remember', though!
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2008, 14:24   #48
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate

thx, i will implement it soonish (maybe i add the one or other thing though, to give it a bit more of a welcome touch )

Unread 17 Jun 2008, 21:03   #49
MikeSz

MikeSz is on a distinguished road

Good thread I think - helps a lot and there are a lot of good links for use mere mortals Hello all and yes, this is my first post
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2008, 18:28   #50
snuffy
crowbarhunter

snuffy is an unknown quantity at this point

stuff like this makes me all warm and fuzzy
snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote