User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 6 May 2008, 15:22   #1
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
"Hidden" production issue, and general change of Production

First of all I d like to say that I personally use this feature, to add 100 ships to my order a good 50 times to get my production 50 ticks further away.
You can keep doing this forever, and just do it the tick before you land your attacks, which makes it V hard if not impossible to completely be able to see how much a planet got in hidden.

Also, the only way to actually check this is through sandmans... Do we really expect new players to check an external site to see if their target got ships -hidden- in production? If we do, then there should be a link on overview, and a guide to tell them how to do it in the manual.

As I said, I use this feature, I like it. But I know there are so many which ruins their rounds by twats like me which got more value in hidden than they got ingame. ( I actually do :/ )
Do we really hope that these players will continue to play after loosing all their ships, even after doing "everything" correct? They might have Planetscanned us first, checked for res, then AUd us, to see if they can attack us. Then they JGP us and see no defence. how should they know people can have this hidden? Even experienced players burn themselves on this quite often, and it might make them quit.

How should it be?

Well, there have been two ways afaik of how production has worked quite well in PA.

r1- r9.5
r10 - rx.

Dont really remember when they changed from the racial and government based system to the current one.

Both of these worked perfectly fine! ( I prefered the r1 - r9.5 )
Why was it changed?

Are there any good arguments, cept from it being fun to **** people with ur hidden production, as to why we use the current setup?

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2008, 15:31   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: "Hidden" production issue, and general change of Production

The argument is presumably because it more accurately reflects reality. This is a shit argument.

Just make ships in production count toward final value as much as actual ships do, and you'll've gone a long way toward balancing prod hiding.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2008, 15:37   #3
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

Personally i dislike hidden production, works really well for ziks dont get me wrong but like you said losing everything can **** people over, especially if they are new and have planned it all out.

I have used hidden prod before anyone mentions that, i had like 4.2mill hidden one rd...
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2008, 15:53   #4
Game^

Game^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Just make ships in production count toward final value as much as actual ships do, and you'll've gone a long way toward balancing prod hiding.
What the man said!
Game^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2008, 16:57   #5
Jezz84
DDK

Jezz84 is an unknown quantity at this point

agreed... although then we're back to long complicated maths again

DDK - Death Defying Killaz
JoV - Joy of Villainy
FAnG - Furious Angels Next Generation
Eclipse - Eclipse
CT- Conspiracy Theory
VS - Volkstaat
Urwins - Urwins
NoX - NoX

Jezz84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2008, 16:59   #6
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game^
What the man said!
Well, that just means that the value of the production wont impact on your final score... this means there isnt really an XP or etc benefit from having vast quantities of ships hidden in production.

But tactically, which is what you're talking about, those same ships will still be in production and you've no idea what else is in there and/or whether the ships in production are the ships that can kill you or not. So, in that respect, it changes almost nothing for the new player calcing everything then loosing their fleet.

Sure, it might happen less for the XP reasons, but after enough incs, then people will deliberately hide stuff in production just like now.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2008, 17:01   #7
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I do believe that something is in the pipeline to fix this "problem" for next round.
Unread 6 May 2008, 17:08   #8
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I do believe that something is in the pipeline to fix this "problem" for next round.
Care to enlighten me/us?
Unread 6 May 2008, 18:07   #9
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Well, that just means that the value of the production wont impact on your final score... this means there isnt really an XP or etc benefit from having vast quantities of ships hidden in production.

But tactically, which is what you're talking about, those same ships will still be in production and you've no idea what else is in there and/or whether the ships in production are the ships that can kill you or not. So, in that respect, it changes almost nothing for the new player calcing everything then loosing their fleet.

Sure, it might happen less for the XP reasons, but after enough incs, then people will deliberately hide stuff in production just like now.
But people will know how much is in production, by comparing the value of actual ships/roids/cons with the value that shows ingame. For many races there's only a few types of ship for which hiding has any use, giving people a better insight in what they can expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
This is not really directed at you, but what is the point of these forums if PA Team insist on being secretive about what they plan to do?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 6 May 2008, 18:26   #10
Gerbie2
Alive and kicking

Gerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to all

Quote:
This is not really directed at you, but what is the point of these forums if PA Team insist on being secretive about what they plan to do?
Usually with such changes they overlook someting. If they tell us up front of what they plan to do, we could warn them, after which they would ignore us and we'd say: "I told you so" when it goes wrong. This prevents that from happening.
Gerbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2008, 18:49   #11
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

Quote:
There isn't anything "secret" about it...
production has had some minor "tweaks", one of em addresses exactly what is pointed out in the first post about repeatedly adding a very small amount of ships to "artificially" increase the prod time.
Change makes it so that 2 x 500 ships requires the same amount as 1 x 1000 ships, so you can't really increase it all that much any more.
You can technically still have ships hidden in prod, but it becomes harder to do it, and it will require a lot more resources being put in.
MultiHunter Team -#multihunters
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2008, 18:58   #12
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have to see it in practice.

Personally, I think the old style of production was fine. Each class had a certain build time, EOD.

If you wanted to jack with it to make factories applicable, have them work like FC and SC do...you'd need say 10% Medium Facts to build Fr/De in 8 hours, otherwise it would take longer.

Government and Population settings would of course help to offset some of that for people who whore Dists and FC's.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2008, 19:32   #13
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

i agree, that the hidden production as it is, can ruin someones round, and imo shouldnt happen. apart from that i like the point ur able to let ships come out to a special tick (like when ur attacker land)

To prevent ppl having more ships in hidden production then actual fleetvalue, u could easily implement a feature that does only allow adding ships to a specific productionnumber for like 10 times as due to logistic reasons the shipyard guild isnt able to obtain any more additional orders.

Ofc it would still be possible to have a attacker die due to ur hidden ships, but it will take much more resources as it does now (as the orginal first order has to be real high to have a major impact)
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2008, 20:17   #14
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus
production has had some minor "tweaks", one of em addresses exactly what is pointed out in the first post about repeatedly adding a very small amount of ships to "artificially" increase the prod time.
Change makes it so that 2 x 500 ships requires the same amount as 1 x 1000 ships, so you can't really increase it all that much any more.
You can technically still have ships hidden in prod, but it becomes harder to do it, and it will require a lot more resources being put in.
So basically it becomes a tool for the big planets only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie2
Usually with such changes they overlook someting. If they tell us up front of what they plan to do, we could warn them, after which they would ignore us and we'd say: "I told you so" when it goes wrong. This prevents that from happening.
Seems almost prophetic.
Unread 6 May 2008, 22:42   #15
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus
will help to some extent, but why not remove the feature completely?

pre pax production times ftw ( along with everything else, but thats beside the point, this point anyway )

Quote:
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
Unread 7 May 2008, 00:06   #16
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese
If you wanted to jack with it to make factories applicable, have them work like FC and SC do...you'd need say 10% Medium Facts to build Fr/De in 8 hours, otherwise it would take longer.
I remember when Battleships used to take 24 ticks to produce, CR 20, DE 16, FR 12, CO 8 and FI was 4 iirc.

You could have x light factories take off 1 tick up to max 2 ticks off prod time, y medium factories to take max 4 ticks off prod time, z heavy factories to take max 10 ticks off prod time (returns to scale perhaps??).

That'd work. Would mean ETA 2 FI building, but still, you dont *have* to use the old numbers... make it 6 ticks or whatever.
Unread 7 May 2008, 00:58   #17
Mzyxptlk
mz.

I see no reason why x value worth of battleships should take longer to build than x value worth of fighters. An argument against it however would be that it'd completely unbalance the game, allowing Xan to produce out of incomings, while Ter is left hanging out to dry. And even if we'd instead opt for a 6 tick flat production time for all ships, I can't think of a convincing reason to spend valuable coding time on reverting to a scheme we haven't seen for 15 rounds, especially because it really doesn't make any meaningful changes to the game mechanics as a whole.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 7 May 2008 at 01:04.
Unread 7 May 2008, 05:21   #18
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

It was more of an example than anything else...I think Sov got the point of it though.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 May 2008, 10:11   #19
Mzyxptlk
mz.

I wasn't replying to your example. I was replying to the entire argument for returning to the pre-PAX production system.
Unread 7 May 2008, 10:49   #20
Wishmaster
LDK

Quote:
I see no reason why x value worth of battleships should take longer to build than x value worth of fighters. An argument against it however would be that it'd completely unbalance the game, allowing Xan to produce out of incomings, while Ter is left hanging out to dry. And even if we'd instead opt for a 6 tick flat production time for all ships, I can't think of a convincing reason to spend valuable coding time on reverting to a scheme we haven't seen for 15 rounds, especially because it really doesn't make any meaningful changes to the game mechanics as a whole.
They are more complex than simple smal fighters which can be mass produced much easier?
PA DOESNT MAKE SENCE! stop trying to use that as an example as to how pa should be.
Thing is, current prod setup is shit, and the one pre pax was alot better.
I personally want all ships to have higher prod time than fleet eta.
Stockpiling isnt good for the game, hidden prod for sure isnt.

and has it been 15 rounds?!?!?! surely not more than 6-7 since they changed it to the current one. THAT was a waste of valuable coding time

Quote:
Unread 7 May 2008, 11:04   #21
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster
They are more complex than simple smal fighters which can be mass produced much easier?
PA DOESNT MAKE SENCE! stop trying to use that as an example as to how pa should be.
I don't give a crap about realism. What I meant was that I see no reason for changing to the pre-PAX system, game mechanics-wise.

Quote:
Thing is, current prod setup is shit, and the one pre pax was alot better.
I personally want all ships to have higher prod time than fleet eta.
Stockpiling isnt good for the game, hidden prod for sure isnt.
Why?

Quote:
and has it been 15 rounds?!?!?! surely not more than 6-7 since they changed it to the current one. THAT was a waste of valuable coding time
I said it has been 15 (and more) rounds since they switched from the pre-PAX system, not 15 rounds since they switched to the current one.
Unread 7 May 2008, 11:36   #22
MiniMoose

MiniMoose is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not just have a system like it is now, except each factory has a maximum production capacity. You can only fit X resources of materials and finished product into a factory.

So you can still prod hide with more factory (also helping make the fact tyou can built multiple factories usefull beyond the 5 to get decent build times etc.)

You can also scan for it. 'Hmm, this guy has 20 factories, he must have built them to hide prod'. You can also fake having hidden prod by having lots of facts and not using them, so people are more cautious.
MiniMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 May 2008, 11:47   #23
Wishmaster
LDK

The entire point I am making is:

Something is flawed and shit when you have to rely on an external site to find out if someone have something hidden or not.
Either sort it, or make the datadumps secret so that no one got access to it.
Then its fair. We cant expect paying costumers to check other sites when there is no mention of them ingame.

Quote:
Unread 7 May 2008, 11:55   #24
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
The entire point I am making is:

Something is flawed and shit when you have to rely on an external site to find out if someone have something hidden or not.
That makes sense. I refer to my first post in the thread for the solution.

Quote:
Either sort it, or make the datadumps secret so that no one got access to it.
Then its fair. We cant expect paying costumers to check other sites when there is no mention of them ingame.
The datadumps were introduced because people used a planet to retrieve information from the game to put it on tool sites, resulting in a great many page loads at the start of every tick, creating a high load on the server. Removing the data dumps is just going to force people to do that again, solving nothing.

Further, if my suggestion were to be implemented, the tool sites become a lot less vital. Then they would return to the way they were before, and people wil use them not to get more information than what's available ingame, but simply to get the same information in a more orderly fashion. You could then do perfectly well without using them, the only thing they'd do is save people time.
Unread 7 May 2008, 13:34   #25
Wishmaster
LDK

Quote:
That makes sense. I refer to my first post in the thread for the solution.
Imo thats not the best solution. It would remove some of the problems, but not all. I dont see why people should be hiding productions at all.

I doubt very much that it would take alot of coding to get back the production they had from pax - r20ish?

The current system is not only ruining rounds for people, its also hard to calculate, and easy to fk with a slight change in population / add or removed factory. It makes no sence.
Make it simple.
Quote:
The datadumps were introduced because people used a planet to retrieve information from the game to put it on tool sites, resulting in a great many page loads at the start of every tick, creating a high load on the server. Removing the data dumps is just going to force people to do that again, solving nothing.

Further, if my suggestion were to be implemented, the tool sites become a lot less vital. Then they would return to the way they were before, and people wil use them not to get more information than what's available ingame, but simply to get the same information in a more orderly fashion. You could then do perfectly well without using them, the only thing they'd do is save people time.
That could be a closeable offence surely? Not that I want the sites gone, I want a new production solution. Or the return of an old and better one.

Quote:
Unread 7 May 2008, 13:37   #26
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Before this new production system was added we had the simple option to scan before attacking to see available resources and scanning before landing to see if any resources had been spent.

Why not just add some details of how much resources is stored in production in one of the existing scan types? It's been suggested before and seems like an easy thing to implement. You could easily add some vagueness to it to show how much is in production but not what ship type etc.

Being able to hide ships in production is a great tactic, but being able to store insane amounts of ships in production without attackers being able to judge if they want to take the risk is a bit stupid.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 May 2008, 14:20   #27
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper
Before this new production system was added we had the simple option to scan before attacking to see available resources and scanning before landing to see if any resources had been spent.

Why not just add some details of how much resources is stored in production in one of the existing scan types? It's been suggested before and seems like an easy thing to implement. You could easily add some vagueness to it to show how much is in production but not what ship type etc.

Being able to hide ships in production is a great tactic, but being able to store insane amounts of ships in production without attackers being able to judge if they want to take the risk is a bit stupid.
i can only agree on this, nice solution idd
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 May 2008, 15:20   #28
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Imo thats not the best solution. It would remove some of the problems, but not all. I dont see why people should be hiding productions at all.
Then that's where we disagree. I see prod hiding as a valid, but overpowered tactic. The only problem I have with it is that it can 1) be undectectable, and 2) you need external tools to find out about the ones that are detectable. Both problems are solved if my solution is implemented.

Quote:
I doubt very much that it would take alot of coding to get back the production they had from pax - r20ish?
I have to admit I don't in fact remember the first PAX system.

Quote:
The current system is not only ruining rounds for people, its also hard to calculate, and easy to fk with a slight change in population / add or removed factory. It makes no sence.
Make it simple.
All of which is solved by my solution. If you want to use prod hiding, yes, you need to look at the numbers a little. But no one is making you use it. You can do perfectly fine without it.

Quote:
That could be a closeable offence surely? Not that I want the sites gone, I want a new production solution. Or the return of an old and better one.
That's retarded. It doesn't give an unfair benefit.
Unread 7 May 2008, 15:50   #29
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Mz and/or GReaper have the best solutions IMO. Not only are the solutions about as good as any of the other suggestions, but they're simple.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 May 2008, 16:26   #30
Kenny

Quote:

So a unit scan would should the ships they had, plus the ones in production? (obv. both with the 20% margin of error), then the adv. unit scan would show exactly what ships the person has, what's in production, and how long it's expected before said ships come out of production?
Unread 7 May 2008, 16:55   #31
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

I'm not particularly bothered at exactly how it gets implemented, just as long as there is a decent way of finding out. Personally I'd put it as extra information in the planet scan - the usefulness of this scan has dropped badly since people hide their resources in production instead of being visible on the planet scan.

Other threads which discuss the same issues as this thread are Hidden production and value and Cov-op: Production espionage. I'm still slightly bothered at the fact you can manipulate your value by leaving days worth of resources in production - I hope this issue eventually gets addressed as well.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 May 2008, 17:23   #32
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
So a unit scan would should the ships they had, plus the ones in production? (obv. both with the 20% margin of error), then the adv. unit scan would show exactly what ships the person has, what's in production, and how long it's expected before said ships come out of production?
Another input to this would be that (as discussed in other threads) unit scans are available to all planets immediately. They'd be modified to show cloaked ships, but not ships in production.

Advanced Units would still be the last tech to be researched and would display ships in production to exact numbers.

Overall I think I prefer just having ships in production count towards value, or their res cost appear in planetscans.
Unread 7 May 2008, 18:30   #33
Mzyxptlk
mz.

I think it's a mistake to combine the scan idea and this one.
Unread 7 May 2008, 20:47   #34
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
I'm not particularly bothered at exactly how it gets implemented, just as long as there is a decent way of finding out. Personally I'd put it as extra information in the planet scan - the usefulness of this scan has dropped badly since people hide their resources in production instead of being visible on the planet scan.

Other threads which discuss the same issues as this thread are Hidden production and value and Cov-op: Production espionage. I'm still slightly bothered at the fact you can manipulate your value by leaving days worth of resources in production - I hope this issue eventually gets addressed as well.
planet scans died partially when they lost there online/offline status
Unread 7 May 2008, 21:22   #35
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Just go back to how we had it before the change to this, it was much better then.
Unread 7 May 2008, 21:33   #36
Wishmaster
LDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Just go back to how we had it before the change to this, it was much better then.
my point exactly.

why fk with something which works.

But, all changes are better than none, and the worst change is the one suggested by PA admins. sigh

Quote:
Unread 7 May 2008, 23:43   #37
Kenny

Quote:
I think it's a mistake to combine the scan idea and this one.
Agreed, I was simply asking if the scan feature I described was the kinda thing GReaper had in mind.
Unread 8 May 2008, 10:29   #38
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
For once in my life I completly agree with furball!

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2008, 11:40   #39
Osidiradadumpf

Osidiradadumpf can only hope to improve

At this moment more time is spend on checking on HIDDEN production then on actually selecting the target... Which is not much fun to do.. You tend up scanning for news to figure out what is happening with his value if you see something funny..

So, we can remove partially this feature, i would be very happy... and ofcourse ZIKS seems to have the most benefit from it..
Osidiradadumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2008, 20:36   #40
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
The argument is presumably because it more accurately reflects reality. This is a shit argument.

Only found 1 big flaw in your suggestion. I don't wanna have to calc on what ppl might have in production. Most of us aren't as good as math as the geek in Numb3rs anyway. After all there's a reason why bcalcs are so popular
Unread 9 May 2008, 21:59   #41
Gate
;D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatus
Only found 1 big flaw in your suggestion. I don't wanna have to calc on what ppl might have in production. Most of us aren't as good as math as the geek in Numb3rs anyway. After all there's a reason why bcalcs are so popular
IMO ability or skill should be rewarded in PA. PA is a maths based game after all.

Provided there's some way to work out what's likely to be in hidden production (planet scans are a sensible idea. Possibly AU scans. Possibly having the value count), then I think that's acceptable.

Skilful risk management can overcome this problem. Unlike the current system where unreasonable amounts of effort are required.
Unread 9 May 2008, 22:52   #42
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatus
What the **** are you talking about. We're not demanding you to be able to perform advanced math on a routine basis. If you can't do simple subtraction and addition, you shouldn't be playing this game.
Unread 17 May 2008, 06:02   #43
arc

arc is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
First of all I d like to say that I personally use this feature, to add 100 ships to my order a good 50 times to get my production 50 ticks further away.
You can keep doing this forever, and just do it the tick before you land your attacks, which makes it V hard if not impossible to completely be able to see how much a planet got in hidden.
YOU CAN DO THAT? WHAT!? HOW COME NO ONE TELL ME BEFORE?
R17 #15 1:2:12 Howling Rain Zik
R20 #10 15:6:8 Destiny Zik
R21 #32 18:5:2 Conspiracy Zik
R22 #13 10:5:8 Jenova Zik
R23 #32 9:5:5 eXilition Zik
R24 #5 5:4:4 Conspiracy Xan
R26 #33 8:3:7 NoX Zik
R28 #3 2:10:8 Äscendäncy Etd
arc is offline   Reply With Quote