User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 19 Dec 2007, 16:14   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Existentialism

In a world where there are no knowable objective truths and therefore no obvious basis on which to build a system of ethics, where do you begin?

We all (I hope) have some form of ethical code, but once you reject the dogma of modern soceity and start afresh, what is the foundation for such belief?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2007, 16:29   #2
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Sharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant future
Re: Existentialism

My brother just found out his girlfriend is pregnant, which made me wonder about this to some extent aswell.
How do you start raising a child? On which foundation do you base the education of your child? How can you know the ethical code you live by is the correct one?

I hope I didn't go too much off-topic with this, my goal was to broaden the discussion a bit, sorry if I misunderstood your question and this has nothing at all to do with what you meant. If this is the case, could you explain your question a bit more?
Sharur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2007, 16:32   #3
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Is your brother dating Britney Spear's sister by any chance?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 19 Dec 2007, 16:38   #4
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Sharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant future

I'd say I don't know Britney Spear's sister so I can't make any comparison, but I think it's safe to say that my brother's girlfriend is more instable emotionally than any Spears family member, including Britney.
Unread 19 Dec 2007, 16:39   #5
All Systems Go

How old are the parents-to-be?
Unread 19 Dec 2007, 20:13   #6
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
...build a system of ethics, where do you begin?
I'd begin with myself. I'd find people who were timid enough to agree with me. Then I'd rally those people to kill those who tended not to agree with me. Eventually I'd gain momentum and I'd claim all those who agreed with me and did what I told them to do were acting according to their morals.

Happy now?
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2007, 23:25   #7
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
what is the foundation for such belief?
Ann Coulter and the Republican Party.
Unread 20 Dec 2007, 08:33   #8
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Quote:
How old are the parents-to-be?
My brother 25 and his girlfriend 21. She didn't even finish any higher education, my brother is a civil engineer.
Unread 20 Dec 2007, 17:13   #9
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharur
She didn't even finish any higher education
What a slut.
Unread 20 Dec 2007, 22:53   #10
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

People always say "slut" like it was a bad thing.
Unread 20 Dec 2007, 23:10   #11
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
In a world where there are no knowable objective truths and therefore no obvious basis on which to build a system of ethics, where do you begin?

We all (I hope) have some form of ethical code, but once you reject the dogma of modern soceity and start afresh, what is the foundation for such belief?
why reject anything?
Unread 21 Dec 2007, 13:24   #12
All Systems Go

Because doing/beliving in something because it's 'always been done' is is not cool.
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 00:17   #13
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Because doing/beliving in something because it's 'always been done' is is not cool.
you said modern society.

i don't think your explination makes sense.

please explain again
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 02:06   #14
dda
USS Oklahoma

Quote:
It should also be noted that not doing/not believing in something because "it's always been done" is also not very cool. Idealy one should have some rational basis for a belief system.
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 03:08   #15
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
I don't think he's suggesting you should reject beliefs because other people believe/have believed in them, but rather it shouldn't hold any weight in whether you do so or not.

heh

(i'm quoting this so you can't delete it - which is an heroic act for posterity given the tears of laughter)
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 03:18   #16
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
yeah man i was just hovering over the delete button there, thinking
it's a sin to tell a lie
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 13:32   #17
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I could also do with an explanation of why horns point in post #17 was so hilarious, it seemed like a reasonably likely hypothesis to me. Just because you really, really want to attack horn doesn't mean everything he says is objectively shit. It certainly wasn't in this case and to be honest your ad hominem attacks of late have seemed far more desperate than contributional, even by GD standards.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 13:36   #18
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
it's a sin to tell a lie
Wasnt homosexuality also a sin? Where do you draw the line?

btw, using 'sin' in a discussion of re-writing of ethical or moral standards is kinda depressing, given that it would presume that morality is a christian thing (when it clearly isnt, or at least not as it should be).
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 19:18   #19
All Systems Go

Quote:
you said modern society.

i don't think your explination makes sense.

please explain again
Well rejecting the beliefs of 1623 might be fun, but seeing as it's not 1623 it might be rather irrelevant.

Another point that might of worth is the wacky theory that modern society is a product of history, with traditions, organisations and all that fun stuff being passed down through the generations.
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 19:29   #20
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Well rejecting the beliefs of 1623 might be fun, but seeing as it's not 1623 it might be rather irrelevant.

Another point that might of worth is the wacky theory that modern society is a product of history, with traditions, organisations and all that fun stuff being passed down through the generations.
You said we should reject modern dogma. Specifying modern I asked you why reject it. You then said we should reject it because it would be silly to accept it simply on the basis that it had always been done.

1) by definition modern 'dogma' (your misuse of the word) is not old and is not always been done
2) thus no one would defend it on the basis that it has always been done
3) something different having been done in the past must have been changed into the different way it is done now - hence earning it the title 'modern'

Therefore I ask again why reject anything?
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 19:44   #21
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
It should also be noted that not doing/not believing in something because "it's always been done" is also not very cool. Idealy one should have some rational basis for a belief system.
I'm not suggesting you should reject beliefs because other people believe/have believed in them, but rather it shouldn't hold any weight in whether you do so or not.
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 19:46   #22
All Systems Go

Quote:
You said we should reject modern dogma. Specifying modern I asked you why reject it. You then said we should reject it because it would be silly to accept it simply on the basis that it had always been done.

1) by definition modern 'dogma' (your misuse of the word) is not old and is not always been done
2) thus no one would defend it on the basis that it has always been done
3) something different having been done in the past must have been changed into the different way it is done now - hence earning it the title 'modern'

Therefore I ask again why reject anything?
Actually I said "the dogma of modern society" therefore your whole fallacy is wrong.
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 19:49   #23
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Actually I said "the dogma of modern society" therefore your whole fallacy is wrong.
my patience is not as eternal as i am
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 19:50   #24
All Systems Go

Quote:
my patience is not as eternal as i am
Clearly, or you have made sure you read my initial post correctly.