User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Nov 2002, 22:34   #1
whoop
The [Fury] of the [z0r]

whoop is an unknown quantity at this point
all this talk about vacation mode

This thread was inspired by some of the stuff I have read on AD w.r.t. a certain alliance planet losing all his fleet and his HC suggesting vacation mode as a solution.

I've lost my attack fleet twice this round, once because of being stuck in a meeting at work, and once becuase of missing the alarm clock.

At both times I had almost as many roids as the planet in question, but never once did I consider vacation mode.

When I lose fleet and become fat and juicy, I become a shiny golden nugget of amongst the piles of crap and dirt in the planetarion universe.

Roiding me in this state can bring joy to the person who does it, bringing, OMFG, dare I say it, some FUN back into this game.

In every competitive game, sometimes you have fun, sometimes other people have fun at your expense, but the bottom line is that its all supposed to be fun.

Do you all quit playing soccer if you team loses a match ? Quit racing if you come in 2nd ? No. You show sportsmanship and hold your head high while shaking the hand of the person that beat you.

This is a concept which is sadly missing in this game, and I suspect the reason is because the vast majority of the people playing know little or nothing about real sports, or human/social interation.

Going into vacation mode (and I don't mean for a weekend trip to the seaside but rather to avoid taking a beating) has nothing to do with honour and everything to do with being a selfish, unsportsmanlike twat.

-whoop
<@whoop> I know

#milo
whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 23:28   #2
MadeMan
180º

MadeMan is an unknown quantity at this point
SO TRUE GO YOU!!! NO vacation mode, when i see ppl in vacation mode, i say to myself. uff noob, or whiner.
MadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 00:14   #3
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
13mill / 1600 roids - 2mill / 1300 roids, with hostiles every tick for as long as the eye could see.

I to would consider taking a vacation to calm down
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 00:31   #4
glaci3r
z0r

glaci3r can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally posted by dabult
13mill / 1600 roids - 2mill / 1300 roids, with hostiles every tick for as long as the eye could see.
I to would consider taking a vacation to calm down
a vacation from the game sure, but going into vacation mode is unnecessary. It would change nothing except the timing of the incoming fleets.

04: 152:08:20 [None]
05: 017:11:14 [NFU/Elysium]
06: 008:12:01 [Titan]
07: 028:04:11 [Titan (BC)]
08: 040:03:09 [Titan]
09: [Eclipse]
20: xxx:xxx:09 [None]
glaci3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 01:00   #5
Kileman
Commander

Kileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to behold
It actually achieves the purpose of putting an end to the constant waving, instead of being roided for unlimited ticks, you will only be roided for 9-12 or so. At least be going into vac you get to start back again with 0 incs, and a basis to defending your planet.

How many people would launch 2nd, 3rd, 4th waves 3 ticks after a wave that was already covered? But defending against wave 4/5/6/7 all at the same time and every other damn vulture in the game is a daunting task
________
Trichomes

Last edited by Kileman; 24 Feb 2011 at 21:09.
Kileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 02:26   #6
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Although I've never used vacation mode for this purpose (to be honest, I can't remember if I've ever used it) I don't see what the problem with it is. People who do it are no more losing 'honor' than the vultures who are causing them the problem in the first place. Bashing someone pretty much out of the game is not sportsmanlike conduct, so I have no complaints to someone who needs a timeout.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 03:55   #7
Duke Leto
Semper Facundus

Duke Leto is on a distinguished road
OMG, this is the stupidist thing I have ever heard.

Vacation mode is a legitimate strategy <whether it be used in a circumstance like this was in the creators mind or not> which cauterizes the wound. Basically you are saying we do not have the right as an alliance to protect our member or our roids and due to the unfortunate circumstances that befell the said member, must now forfeit his entire round and planet and roids to the unwashed masses of PA??? Because it will put a twinkle in someone's eye? Perhaps?

Tw@t is right... But you're addle brained theory didn't allow for the possibility of your tw@t calling to materialize into a boomerang and fit itself back into your ear after a nice long return arc.

Just because you took it in the ass doesn't mean we have to (maybe you took a liking to it who knows) as well. Take your bitter sentiments and stuff and puff it, mister.

Leto

hirr Senate

R1 - noob
R2 - hirr
R3 - hirr BC
R4 - hirr HC
R5 - hirr HC
R6 - hirr HC
R7 - hirr Senate
R8 - hirr Drug Czar and Pimp Daddy
R9- Manager of "Pron for Homeless" program
R10- Actually gettin some while you suckas played PA
R11- hirr ambassador to Iraq
R12- hirr Minister of Propaganda & "Keeper of the Treats"
Duke Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 04:02   #8
whoop
The [Fury] of the [z0r]

I'm not talking about taking a break, I'm talking about people who go "damm, I'm not gonna own this round, I'll just go in vacation mode forever" - there were a couple of galaxies did that last round.

And the vultures you speak of, they are players too. I remember being on the losing side r6, and I would probably fall under your definition of "vulture".

We're all playing to have a good time - eagle or vulture, no sense in depriving other people of fun out of selfishness/spite.

-whoop
<@whoop> I know

#milo
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 04:32   #9
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

I don't have a big problem with a short (< 1 week) use of vacation mode to re-group and to shake-off the scavengers. Finishing out the round in vacation mode, either because you've you got a good position and you just want to coast or because you want to quit but don't want anyone else to take your ships/roids, is just lame--even if the rules allow it.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 07:44   #10
Rikkert

i use vac mode if i am away for more than 2 days and i cant check internet and i dont wanna keep thinking if my planet will stay alive. As in how it supposed to be used and every way u use vac mode is legit, however to go into vac mode to prevent incoming is a lil lame. However wouldnt u go into vac mode, if u knew u wouldnt be covered from 3 wave attack and if u go into vac mode and wait 3 days u would keep ur roids and score?
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 08:33   #11
whoop
The [Fury] of the [z0r]

In that case its fine, I'm specifically referring to the people that hide indefinitely for fear of incs becuase their side is "losing" or they lost all their fleet and they know they won't be able to keep them.
<@whoop> I know

#milo
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 14:31   #12
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
whoop - I agree ENTIRELY with your original posts, and for the record Leto, vacation is not intended as a strategy. The only reason the creators didn't bring in rules about it, or alter it too much is because it would end up getting rid of its intended purpose, and vacation mokeys would just say "I'm going on holiday, so I should be allowed to stay"
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 03:47   #13
bigal

Red face

Who gives a ****? vacation is there for whatever reason, you sad twats seem to make up your own reasons on how vacation should be used, move on to the next guy and stop whining.
Wankers.
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 18:09   #14
Chrono

Re: all this talk about vacation mode

Quote:
Originally posted by whoop

Roiding me in this state can bring joy to the person who does it, bringing, OMFG, dare I say it, some FUN back into this game.

In every competitive game, sometimes you have fun, sometimes other people have fun at your expense, but the bottom line is that its all supposed to be fun.

Do you all quit playing soccer if you team loses a match ? Quit racing if you come in 2nd ? No. You show sportsmanship and hold your head high while shaking the hand of the person that beat you.

This is a concept which is sadly missing in this game, and I suspect the reason is because the vast majority of the people playing know little or nothing about real sports, or human/social interation.

Going into vacation mode (and I don't mean for a weekend trip to the seaside but rather to avoid taking a beating) has nothing to do with honour and everything to do with being a selfish, unsportsmanlike twat.

-whoop
heh I truley don't care wether other ppl are happy trough roiding me , I play this game for myself.
If this is ur opinion, why don't u scan/init the whole time and odn't build fleet so everyone can roid u?.. surly would make a lot of ppl happy
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 20:55   #15
Lerxst
baka.

Lerxst is an unknown quantity at this point
Not again this lame talk about "honour" in PA... Ofc everyone has "honour" and is not "lame" and shows "sportsmanship" - as long as he's currently doing well...

1. EVERY feature implemented in the game can be used as a tactic as long as it's not forbidden in the user-agreement. Going into vacation is absolutely not forbidden - for what purpose ever! Some might find it good or bad. Only the planet owner decides what he likes to do. Period.

2. No one here played without any lame actions here. I saw some of those, who claimed to be honourable in this thread, doing lame things. I saw a lot of the PA celebs doing more than lame things to be/get on top. So please can we end this disgusting "Bah - he is doing something unhonourable eff ess!" and move on to *really* relevant things like watching the grass grow... ta.

I used vacation-mode two times. Last round when most of my gal was away having a meeting (and we got incomings every day - so I "misused" it to delay the incs to when all were back), and this round when I had exams. I would use it whenever I like. And be it just to have some days off or to annoy my incomers... Some ppl even quit their planet because they don't like playing it anymore. Is it lame? No. When you don't enjoy playing it - quit it. Take a break from it. Do something else. What is lame about it? Gosh... pathetic...
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 21:05   #16
whoop
The [Fury] of the [z0r]

Re: Re: all this talk about vacation mode

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrono

heh I truley don't care wether other ppl are happy trough roiding me , I play this game for myself.
If this is ur opinion, why don't u scan/init the whole time and odn't build fleet so everyone can roid u?.. surly would make a lot of ppl happy
I do play for myself - always, I'm just saying I don't deny otheres their fun.
<@whoop> I know

#milo
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 18:30   #17
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: all this talk about vacation mode

Quote:
Originally posted by whoop
Do you all quit playing soccer if you team loses a match ? Quit racing if you come in 2nd ?
This makes no sense. The people who go into vacation generally feel that they will have more chance of rebuilding if they suspend hostiles for a few days. If they were going into vacation just to spite theri attackers youd have a point, but tactical use of vacation mode isnt quitting, its the exact opposite - the acknowledgement that you have a chance to come back, and are prepared to take steps to maximise that chance.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote