User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Oct 2003, 21:47   #1
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
wtf got some videocard fan problem

I was already wondering for some weeks why Homeworld2 keeps on rebooting my pc and now I notice that the fan on my gforce4 ti4200 is not turning, anyone knows what to do, you see I am a complete newbie in such things. Can these things just get replaced for a reasonable price?

Another thing, can it damage my card for keep on using it? I mean not for doing 3d kinda gaming but just the usual forumbrowsing and less graphical heavy gaming like I use to do ?

I hate to see this card is already broken as I bought it like a year ago bah
SilverSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2003, 21:50   #2
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: wtf got some videocard fan problem

Do you like Homeworld 2? I can't get past Gehenna Outskirts... really annoying.
Unread 22 Oct 2003, 22:02   #3
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga
Do you like Homeworld 2? I can't get past Gehenna Outskirts... really annoying.

pffffft due to my problem with my card i can't even finish the tutorial, now I have installed my TNT2 and I really don't want to run Homeworld2 on that
Unread 22 Oct 2003, 23:10   #4
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The strange thing is, I can't even complete it when I cheat! One of the cheats I found gives infinate credits. Great! I thought, now maybe I can get past this stupid level, but no.... it gave both sides infinate credits making the level even harder.
The other cheat was better, but for some reason I still couldn't complete the level, for a reason which better go unnamed in fear of posting a spoiler.
Unread 22 Oct 2003, 23:36   #5
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If the computer is unstable it's because the processor on your gfx card is overheating due to the fan failing. Your local computer shop should be able to sort you a new one out. You could seriously damage your card if you don't replace it.

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Oct 2003, 04:10   #6
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: wtf got some videocard fan problem

If it's simply the fan itself which has failed it should be possible to replace it. I believe there are a number of aftermarket fans for the Nvidia-based cards. I think Thermaltake makes some.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Oct 2003, 09:43   #7
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/home.php?cat=413

Either Vantec one is adequate (unless you want to get those heatpipe solutions )

The thermaltake one on that site is loud btw, and yes you are likely to damage the card even just idling in windows, the GF4Ti range run very hot regardless.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Oct 2003, 12:05   #8
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
pffffft due to my problem with my card i can't even finish the tutorial, now I have installed my TNT2 and I really don't want to run Homeworld2 on that
ha, you can't

TNT2 doesn't have hardware T&L support, it's the reason i can't play Homeworld 2

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Oct 2003, 12:39   #9
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
ha, you can't

TNT2 doesn't have hardware T&L support, it's the reason i can't play Homeworld 2

yeah i bloody noticed that yesterday evening when trying :/
Unread 25 Oct 2003, 13:28   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There are no shortage of fans to shove on your graphics card.
The question is whether you fancy the idea of waving knives, scissors and screwdrivers around your gfx card in order to lever/cut off the current one - they can be a bastard sometimes.
However, so long as you keep yourself statically earthed and don't do something stupid (eg. trying this operation on a nylon carpet) then you shouldn't have a problem.

Oh, and don't scratch or crack the PCB.
Unread 25 Oct 2003, 14:43   #11
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

And don't do drugs

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2003, 15:19   #12
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
The question is whether you fancy the idea of waving knives, scissors and screwdrivers around your gfx card in order to lever/cut off the current one - they can be a bastard sometimes.
I found changing the heatsink of my CPU a whole adventure on its own. I know a lot of the GPU heatsinks are glued to the card. I'd get a friggin' heart attack if I had to remove that.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2003, 16:33   #13
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My favourite bit was levering the ramsinks off my GF4 with a palletknife.
I was definately starting to wonder if I was going to have a working card after that...
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 18:25   #14
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

bah i just found a ventilator for my geforce in a shop and although it doesnt fit perfectly i managed to put it in that iron block that absorbs the heat from the card, now this bloody new ventilator isn't working neither.

What could the problem be? it's not that the original ventilator was not broken or something, it clearly is as the wheel does turn very sticky when i turn it with a screwdriver/finger.

The guy in the shop ensured me it's a fan specially for the geforce4 card so why it seems my ventilator isnt getting powered?

Is there anything in windows or whatever kind of program to check the powerlines inside your pc? Or any software to check if your videocard is as powered as it should? or could it just be that this ventilator isn't compatible in a way?

it's a "Colorful CF-12410S" ventilator, saying DC 12V , MAX 0,13A.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 19:19   #15
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

tbh, I have not heard of your "ventilator" at all, hmmm....

and I do not think there is any such software you speak of to detect the power usage/availibility.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Nov 2003, 03:46   #16
spanker

spanker is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried to connect the gfx fan on any of the other fan connectors you have on your motherboard, could be the fan connection on your card that have went bad.

I guess that you mean fan when you write ventilator, the thingy that spins around you know