User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Oct 2003, 22:52   #1
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Bloody planes...

Ok, i think British Air-traffic Control has something against me...
This house now appears to be under three flight paths, with the extra addition that one that helicopters tend to use regularly.
One seems to be higher, smaller planes, and the other seems to be 747s that are really quite low; the latter are the problem, as the noise is tremendous - this entire room (my bedroom) resonates whenever one goes over, to the point where the one that comes along in the early hours of the morning usually wakes me up. This is made all the more frustrating by the fact that this housing estate is completely surrounded by fields... lots of fields, yet these planes seem to be flying almost directly over my house!
So, my question is...
Do i have to put up with this? Unfortunately the comedy "move house" option is a non-starter for the forseeable future, and i could have sworn that we weren't warned about flight paths when we bought the house. In fact, i can't remember there being this many overflights when we bought the house...
So is there anything i can do, eg. request they move the flying ****ers over some nice fields, or do i just have to 'grin and bear it', and continue to lose sleep?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 22:55   #2
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Bloody planes...

I take it that rocket-launcher-based solutions are out of the question?
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 22:58   #3
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice

phone in boomb scares
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 23:03   #4
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a popular Clown from a child's TV shoe to run for the house of the commons and change the flight path. You know, so the plays fly over poor people's home like they should (unless your poor then your shit out of luck).
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 23:05   #5
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

and i thought this was going to be an amusing 9/11 joke.

Rocket propelled grenades!
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 23:15   #6
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute

Patriot missiles/RPGs aren't really an option, as i don't have a spare couple of million and i don't fancy spending the rest of my life in jail...
any useful suggestions?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 23:18   #7
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroom
Patriot missiles/RPGs aren't really an option, as i don't have a spare couple of million and i don't fancy spending the rest of my life in jail...
any useful suggestions?
In that case, no.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 23:20   #8
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Call the airport and lodge a complaint. Call your lawyer. Call your mum and get her to complain.

EDIT: failing that, call your mum's lawyer or your lawyer's mum.
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 23:37   #9
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroom
any useful suggestions?
Stop your bitching and move.
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 23:37   #10
Noctu
Teh Portal Coder

Noctu is on a distinguished road

Options:
i) Stand naked in the garden, waving a stick, and shouting incoherant abuse.
ii) Make a huge and abusive sign in the field near to your house that can clearly be read from the air.
iii) Phone up the nearest airport and complain like a bastard.
Noctu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 23:57   #11
Crackmonkey
monkey on crack

Crackmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think there's really anything you can do about it short of shooting at them as they pass. They could really care less who gets disturbed by planes flying overhead. Maybe if you were insanely rich or something to that extent, which I'm guessing you're not if you have 747's flying low over your house.

How close are you to the airport anyway?
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 00:20   #12
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice

Make a huge massive crop circle which can only be seen fom the air, and laff as the passengers all phone in to report alien sightings?
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 00:27   #13
Jammers

Jammers has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Why do people insist on complaining about having planes flying overhead? Just think of it as being an airshow. People pay money to go to airshows, and you're getting it for free, so count yourself lucky.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 00:43   #14
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Nitting Needle + Your ear drums = Success.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 00:49   #15
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers
Why do people insist on complaining about having planes flying overhead? Just think of it as being an airshow. People pay money to go to airshows, and you're getting it for free, so count yourself lucky.
Actually, the Air Force reserve base is near my house and I watch them practice fancy crap for free with the added bonus they could be learning and I would get to see a some fireworks.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 00:49   #16
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

YOu can complain about "excessive noise" during anti-social hours (midnight-6am...i think...), and the companies get fined (miniscule amounts admittedly...)
Will be more effective if a group is set up, with everyone complaining individually every time you are disturbed.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 01:07   #17
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

once a chinook flew over my house, those things are so loud
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 01:09   #18
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctu
Options:
i) Stand naked in the garden, waving a stick, and shouting incoherant abuse.
ii) Make a huge and abusive sign in the field near to your house that can clearly be read from the air.
iii) Phone up the nearest airport and complain like a bastard.
Our lesbian neighbours complained when I did this in the middle of the night. Though the incoherent abuse was directed towards their dog that just wouldn't stop ****ing barking. And I neglected to clothe myself =(

Still, they saw more **** that night than they probably will again so if I've turned them straighter I guess it's not all bad.

Mingers, too. Eugh.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 01:13   #19
Intrepid00

If anyting, pablissimo proably made them loose more faith in the male part of our species.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 01:37   #20
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Possibly.

Though to be honest turning two fat middle-aged lesbian mingers with a twat of a dog more gay doesn't concern me =(