User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying

Unread 14 Jan 2007, 06:09   #51
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Huracan is a jewel in the roughHuracan is a jewel in the roughHuracan is a jewel in the rough
Re: 1680

Fluffie

Hans chuckles.

"I don't generally promote business for those functioning outside the West India Company, even for good wine. If the company flounders I'm out of a job after all. The slaves though shouldn't present a problem for you. Being shackled and unarmed tends to take the edge out of even the most uncooperative slave. If you would be more comfortable though taking 5 to Diego, I'm sure he would appreciate that as well. Of course there's always a chance you might find something down at the docks or in a tavern as well."
Huracan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 16:31   #52
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

ooc: first post in bloody ages... can you hear that? Sounds like rust.

------

*It had been a long a tiresome journey. Traveling against the trade winds, the run down from Port Royal to Curacao was always a hard trek, with the prevailing winds making for slow travel and the calm open sea a featureless view that only added to the boredom.*

*Harrison Courtney was glad that it was over, and so was everyone else who sailed with the Sundancer. After a hasty period of unloading, followed by a mad rush for the monthly pay all had hit the beaches running, seeking to find from amongst the many delights of the morally-challenged Dutch colony the fastest possible way of spending away their hard earned wages.*

*After taking the first watch with the few individuals unfortunate enough to have been randomly selected by their captain, Harrison Courtney was now walking the dusty, sand-ridden streets of the local township with long time friend and ships boatswain George Jones; Mr Jones in short, Big Jones to those who knew him. The tall, heavy-set African took in the surroundings with a look that spoke of mild curiosity to the casual observer, but if one were to look closer they would spot the acute, distrusting alertness of one always on the look out for trouble. A good man to have by one’s side.*

*Harrison’s focus however, was not on his surroundings but rather with other things. On things that had to be done, and indeed there were many things that had to be done. There were the usual duties – ensuring the ship’s supplies were sufficient, ensuring the ship’s hold would be full on departure, ensuring the demands and business of trade were kept to his liking. But it was the constant flow of little nuisances and hassles that always seemed to keep him pre-occupied the most. Such as the maintenance issues that had arisen during this particular voyage. A quick inspection upon first arrival into the harbor had revealed a number of leaks that needed attention immediately. With no-one onboard with the present skills to fix the problem and the unscrupulous Dutch shipyards asking a kings ransom for the job, Harrison now had to keep an eye out for a decent carpenter (ooc: Hint Hint Kargool ) Yet another issue of the day that he could’ve done without – no less than a few hours in port and word reaches his ears that his quartermaster has gotten involved in a violent brawl with the merchant whom normally supplies the ship’s food supplies for this leg, so now he also had to find another seller with enough food supplies stocked up and willing to sell at short notice. Then of course on top of all this he still had to find a cargo and for some business for the Sundancer’s next sea leg…*

*Such was the life of a merchant sea captain.*

“Sir”

*The deep baritone of his companion cut into Harrison Courtney’s mind and pulled him out of his thought process for the moment.*

“I believe this is the place sir.”

*The two men were standing out the front of a non-descript inn some way back from the bawdy sea shanties lining the harbour where most sailors preferred to wet their whistles. A few well placed pieces of eight had led them to this place on rumours the owner not only had a decent supply of food stock but may also be willing to part with some of it for something lower than the extortionist prices seen else where all over the island. Harrison doubted the last but kept his hopes up none the less. Given his present need, he could ill afford to pass up any such leads and hopes.*

“Very good Mr Jones. Let us not delay then shall we?”

“Not at all captain.”

*The two men entered the inn quietly, Big Jones walking in first and quickly scanning the room before his captain followed not to far behind. As the large African weighed up the other occupants in the front area, Harrison walked up to the lady behind the bar whom he assumed to be the inn-keeper.*

“Excuse me m’lady but if I could have a moment…”

*He waited until he had her attention.*

“Good to meet you m’lady, I hear you have some food stores that might be on offer…”

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 23:47   #53
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

dragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to all

ooc/ Hewitt are you in my inn or another? If you are in mine i'm currently by the door talking to Darkling's character. However, we'll finish our interaction and I'll end up behind the bar if your character is talking to me./ooc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkling
Opening his eyes from his rest, making sure to straighten himself up in the presence of the women still keeping somewhat to the shadows purposely, recognizing here as the owner of the establishment from his previous brief visits here.
“Good day madam if you have any tea available then that would be appreciated otherwise the pork will do fine with something weak to wash it down. please be swift about it my time is short I am afraid”
Keeping his speech calm whilst he pulled a string tied pouch from closest pocket, letting it drop a few spaces above the hard table with a metal clatter feeling glad that the place was almost deserted, getting into a fight over a bag of coins would ruin his credibility. Keeping his hand hovering above the bag warily regardless preferring to be cautious.
Julianna continues smiling as any good hostess will do, watching him carefully, glad to see she was sure to be paid. It had been tough at times recently. The supplies were getting more expensive and there seemed to be more and more patrons.

"We do have tea, but only a little left, so I'm afraid I've had to raise prices a little since the last you were here. If not, I can offer a nice weak ale."

* tiger uses the ultimate way in, trough the water pipes
* Shadowhawk idly points out that this is #rpgal, the pipes are probably blocked from all the bs that you come up with.
dragonsjem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 00:28   #54
Darkling
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Darkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to behold

Letting out an obvious sigh and nodding his head slightly.
“Then the ale will do fine then, although I could help you in one respect. I deal in cargo and have a predicament. The ship captain refuses to take anymore of my goods something to do with a problem with space, I wont really bore you with the senseless details”
Dai letting his comments settle in a few seconds before continuing
“That aside I have a small quantity of crates of tea and some spices, I am willing to give you a discounted price due to the urgency of my financial situation”
Dai sitting up fully now becoming more alert as he makes his offer, making sure to look at the women straight on with a mildly solemn look about him.
Darkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 01:13   #55
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

dragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to all

Looking at him inquisitively, Julianna thought for a moment, brushing a lock of hair from her eye.

He seems honest enough but to actually be in posession of tea, discount at that, something must be amiss.

Her family had not always been in agreement with the English crown, but she had been raised to respect the laws of the land, and that included the trade regulations.

"Sir, I'd be very appreciative for more tea, but....umm...there has been English approval of your shipment I assume."

* Shadowhawk idly points out that this is #rpgal, the pipes are probably blocked from all the bs that you come up with.
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 02:29   #56
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsjem
ooc/ Hewitt are you in my inn or another? If you are in mine i'm currently by the door talking to Darkling's character. However, we'll finish our interaction and I'll end up behind the bar if your character is talking to me./ooc
ooc: Bugger, missed that small detail. Yeah it was supposed to be your inn, but I can wait until you are both finished. When you are finished, you can make mention of seeing my ship mate and I entering and approaching you.

And take as long as you want, there are other threads that I need to attend to after all...

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 03:07   #57
Darkling

Darkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to behold

Letting a smile slip from his held expression as he relaxed a little more
“Alas I cannot guarantee that fully, these days with all those smugglers around it is hard to guarantee any shipment. I was given on their word that it was so, though I cannot verify either. None the less my offer stands and ill not spread any word of this transaction anymore than you wish it to be”
Dai keeping a faint smile as he spoke feeling a little more relaxed than he would otherwise be right now though never letting his eyes wander away from the women.
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 03:16   #58
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

"That's very kind of you sir. Please, let me think on it. I have to get your meal and see to the other patrons."

Julianna turns quickly and heads toward the back of the inn to the kitchen, quickly getting together two plates of roast, which she had left heating slightly in the oven. She needed the tea, she really did, but if someone questioned her later.....it was a difficult decision. She had far too many high ranking officials stopping by her inn to dare possibly break any laws, but at the same time, they always expected tea. She chewed unconciously on her lip slightly as she always did when trying to make a difficult decision.

Sighing, she stopped thinking about it for a minute, and grabbed the plates and placed them in front of the two men and went behind the bar to fill tankards with the ale they requested. Finishing filling one and reaching for another she notices the door opening and two men, one looking rather authoritative, enter and the latter start approaching her. Reaching down, she filled the other tankard and responded.

"Good day sir. I have a fine meal to offer, but I'm afraid you were misinformed about my having any excess food to sell. "

Last edited by dragonsjem; 16 Jan 2007 at 03:25.
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 03:30   #59
Darkling

"Well my offer stands for now, let us speak of it no more than and enjoy the rest of the days pleasantries”
Letting the inn keeper walk away Dai expression becoming a little more grave as she left muttering quietly
“Unfortunate”
His expression turning a little softer as she returned with the plate, starting to feel even more hungry as he looked at it, interrupted suddenly by the entrance of two strangers. Dai keeping a close watch on them for a few moments trying to figure them out, not entirely sure on the one taking the lead, though the other one defiantly had the look of a sailor or sorts. Looking back down to his meal remembering that he had not eaten since the morning eagerly working into his meal, slipping a little further into the shadows as he occasionally glanced up at the two men with a little interest, Dai mumbling a little to himself quietly.
“Such a curious pair”
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 14:59   #60
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

*Harrison tries to hide his disappointment but is only partially successful.*

"That's a real shame m'lady. I was afraid that would be the case. A real shame..."

*George walks up to the bar and leans against it lightly.*

"What now sir? Should we go check out some of the other places around here then?"

*Harrison looks around the inn, frowning as he thinks on the best way to proceed.*

Hmm...

"I must commend you on how well keep this inn is m'lady... I think we'll take you up on your offer. What you say Mr Jones? Hungry?"

"I've never said no to a decent meal before captain."

"Ah good, it's settled then. Two house specials... and a couple of tankards of ale while you’re at it."
*Glances over at George Jones* “Who knows Mr Jones, while we are here stuffing ourselves someone might walk in and announce they’ve a bunch of food stock they want to get rid of.”

*George raises an eyebrow.* “Sure captain… and while he’s at it he’ll probably say he wants to fill our empty hold with cargo and fix our ship with his immense skill at carpentry.”

“Yes Mr Jones, right before he trips and falls flat on his face from too much ale.”

“Aha! Ha! Ha! Ha!”

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 20:35   #61
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

Julianna gives Harrison a concerned look before nodding and starting to pour two more tankards of ale, and hands them to the men
"Thank you kind sir. If you'd take a table, I'll have your dinner for you in a moment."

She turns to head for the kitchen but hears the comment about needing a carpenter. She turns back quckly.

"Pardon me for overhearing, but if you are looking for a carpenter, I understand that gentleman at the table over there is quite skilled and in need of work."

She gestures toward Hodor, before turning again and heading for the kitchen. Smiling at being able to help both the men.

Unread 17 Jan 2007, 13:34   #62
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

*Harrison and George, now seated at one of the inn's small but sturdy tables, give each other a quizzical look before Harrison looks over his shoulder and addresses the bearded man seated a few tables behind him.*

"Is what this fine lady speak of true mate? You really know you're way around a plank of wood, or is the miss's here having us on?"

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 18 Jan 2007, 07:05   #63
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Having watched the happenings at the inn with an uninterested look, Hodor leans forward over the table to catch a strain of the conversation when the innkeeper points towards him.
Hodor watches the odd looking couple as they talk to the innkeeper. He sips his ale and tries to look disinterested as they approach him.

"Is what this fine lady speak of true mate? You really know you're way around a plank of wood, or is the miss's here having us on?"

Hodor puts down his beer and measures up the two men from head to toe. Aye, no chance for me to beat them in a one on one, he then clears his throat and says: "Aye, i've known to put timber to good use if that's what you ask of me. However, i am no landcrab, the sea is my place. Have no interest in building cottages for slaves!" Hodor nods towards the black man in respect.
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 15:52   #64
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

Fluffie grins, widely.

"Of course.. Must've lost myself there for a moment."

He finishes his drink and gets up.

"I'll find your man Diego and bring back some tobacco. Next time, the drinks are on me, Hans."

After some handshaking perhaps and other good byes, Fluffie finds himself wandering back in the direction of his ship. Once again he keeps his ears open for anybody and anyone looking for a ship, but this time a ship going to Cumana. He tries to direct his ears towards the more respectable sort of people - basically merchants and other big time traders. He made a mental note of sending someone to buy supplies later on and also of getting some food himself.
Unread 21 Jan 2007, 14:58   #65
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

*George Jones lets out a bellowing laugh at the norwegians comments.*

"This man certainly does have spirit captain."

"Indeed Mr Jones...
*looks back towards the bearded man* "Well mate, I have a fine vessel that could use the gentle love and care of a type that only a woodsmith of the sea can provide. If ye still be interested, come sit with us and we'll talk in more detail over a pint or two. What you say mate?"

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 22 Jan 2007, 15:26   #66
MrWhite

MrWhite is infamous around these partsMrWhite is infamous around these parts

HI There hope im not to late to join

Name: Dave Finn
Nationality: English
Proffesion: Pirate
Skills: Cutlass Sailing Flintlock Pistol Dirtyfighter
History: The son of a whore Dave Finn Didnt have much in life decideing that the sailors life was for him signing on with a merchent ship heading to the new world. Halfway there the ship was set upon by Pirates and Dave was captured and offerd the chance to join seeing this as an opertunity Dave quickley accepted and setteld into his new role. Whilst on recruiting in Port Royale the Ship was regonised and captured leaving Dave alone with only his cutless flintlock and wits to help him survive
MrWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2007, 01:50   #67
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Huracan is a jewel in the roughHuracan is a jewel in the roughHuracan is a jewel in the rough

ooc -Sorry for the delay everyone, on Friday my spanish lit teacher gave us a novel called "Nada" that we had a test on today (Wednesday). Great times. Anyway.....

Fluffie
After a bit more searching and aimless wandering around the port you happen upon a merchant store with a sign in the window

"Ship Captains Wanted"

You hear inside someone you presume to be the owner talking to another man about different jobs.

"I'm sorry sir but 200 Ducats is the highest we can go. The Spanish taxes on imported goods to Cumana, just like any other Spanish controlled port, severely limit our profits. Take it or leave it, but I warn you if you even dare try to cheat me I'll put a price on your head so high you won't be able to go near a civilized port."

The other man utters some less than courteous words and storms out, almost crashing into you as he mutters under his breath down the street.

MrWhite
ooc- Not to late to join, welcome . I'll post your character in the information post shortly. Also, I'm teleporting you to Curacao, since that's where everyone else still is and it will give you an opportunity to team up with someone else if you so choose. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM

Everyone else in DJ's Pub
Continue conversing / character developing for as long as you want. If you would rather head out and get going, feel free to do that as well.
Huracan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2007, 02:24   #68
Darkling

Dai quietly watching and listening to the course of the conversation carefully, looking down occasionally to finish his meal and ale. Leaning back shortly after finishing his food, letting the moment pass for a few seconds ignoring the whole scene, reaching into his pocket to pull out the map given to him by Juan. Looking at it discreetly as Dai slid the empty bowl and tankard into the middle of the table, letting out an exasperated sigh at the whole affair.
“Are you really worth it I wonder? It has been a while Dai its been a while”
Letting it drop to his lap face down closing his eyes as he rubbed his forehead
“This is going to be a pain to put together”
Mumbling softly to himself right now feeling more than a little annoyed at how this was turning out.
Unread 29 Jan 2007, 13:55   #69
MrWhite

MrWhite is infamous around these partsMrWhite is infamous around these parts

Dave stood at the docks how could this have happend he thought the duch should have had no knowlage of the ships real intent but ome how they still managed to capture her
Standing half hidden behind a stall he watched his old ship mates paraded off the ship in irons ready to be taken to the gallows
"well at least its not me" Dave sighed and turned back into the town looking for a inn to drown his sorrows and perhaps find other "entrepurners" to join
MrWhite is offline   Reply With Quote