User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying

Unread 25 Nov 2004, 19:04   #1
Wo2
The Janitor!

Wo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to behold
Thread Planning Phase.

Ok I'm interrested in starting a thread based on some writings of mine. It is Science fiction and does take place in a space based enviroment but at the moment I would only have 4 avalible factions to choose from, with a 5th later in the thread. Now comes my problem. I've never really done something on the scale I'm thinking. I have the plot line all ready and everything with changes avliable should the players prove too clever, but I still have problems with Stats and such and wether or not I want this to be a more personlized experince, with the player just being peoples in various areas of this story or wether it should take a larger scale like the players being ship commanders. I may just give the possiblity of earning ship captain rank or army commander rank, but with either options I'm still frightenliy new at this.

I'll give specific information on the things in the game should you request them.

Comments, Questions, Ideas, Advice?
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 19:15   #2
Darkling
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Darkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to behold
Re: Thread Planning Phase.

Upon first impressions I myself would go with more personalised scenario, or at least I would preffer them. At the moment there are already a few ideas around about spaced based ship or fleet controlling threads in their various forms. Thouugh I am no major fan of stats I know they are neccasery to a degree just to add some elements of control to a thread, but taken just enough to the point where they dont infrindge upon creative freedom.

So from my viewpoint I would rather see a thread that draws the player into scenarios revolving around more than just ship combat and being in space in general, but rather to expand upon the possabilites within other realms such as planet side adventures etc.
Darkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 19:19   #3
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

dragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to all

I agree with Darkling. I do enjoy sci-fi threads too but I don't know the ins and outs of a ship enough to command it. I would rather be a random crewmember so i could actually develop the character more and sound like I know what i'm doing. Planet side adventures would also be interesting as they aren't done much.

* tiger uses the ultimate way in, trough the water pipes
* Shadowhawk idly points out that this is #rpgal, the pipes are probably blocked from all the bs that you come up with.
dragonsjem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 19:55   #4
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

well, I myself always did like captaining a ship, but then again, being some random person on the ground can just as easily be fun.

In fact, commanding yet another spaceship right now would probably become boring, I've already got way to many spaceships to worry about.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 20:19   #5
Wo2
The Janitor!

Wo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to behold

This is great. Just the kind of things I've been wanting to hear.

I was also thinkink about this since my last point and I tend to be leaning towards the personal approach more than the grand scale, and yes stats are needed but not to the point of, as said by Darkling, that it infrindges upon creative freedom. I'm not planning on stating every little thing possible, probaly just simple stats with the capablities described in more a descriptive way rather than numbers. Show what they do with description will allow people like me to be more comfortable because we can easily know what something does without trying to wrap heads around endless piles of numbers.
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 01:00   #6
mrmao
oh...sexy...

mrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the rough

well garrison duty and a secruity on ships could be quite fun because well two ships and one thread is all the captianing i coulkd take
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 18:38   #7
Wo2
The Janitor!

Hmm... Well there may not be enough people at the moment and I'd hate to be, just another thread so instead I'll start a small and simple prototype thread that starts at the beginning of the story line, with only two races.

So Sometime soon I will start you all off... I'll need a little time to get a intro but I'll be working on the serious stuff as we move along, so It's there for the next thread.

Last edited by Wo2; 29 Nov 2004 at 18:50.
Wo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 20:49   #8
mrmao
oh...sexy...

mrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the rough

okay prototype good
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 18:49   #9
Wo2
The Janitor!

Ok I am truely inexeperinced at this. This is what I have so far. Help?

Alrighty then, on to the prototype.

Mankind had lived for so long without finding any other life in the stars. They had thrived and grown, stretching there reach as far as it would go, but in the early days that reach was not very far yet they still tried to reach anyway. Unbeknownst to them, another race was reaching too, yet that race was not reaching for exploration. The other race was called the Sha’Tal a hive like species with a massive, consuming empire. Their race was ever expanding and ever needing resources to keep their empire from imploding, so they always expanded.

The Sha’Tal we’re always looking for new ways to gather the resources needed for their massive empire. They would look out from their core worlds with massive space telescopes, far more powerful than any possessed by Earth. When they found a world that fit the parameters they were looking for they would dispatch a small, fast scout vessel to survey the world and judge its usefulness to the hive. In some cases they would simply skip sending the scout ship and send one of their massive colony vessels to claim the world.

The Sha’Tal colony ships, called Traveling Worlds in their tongue, were massive in size. The Traveling worlds had one, fully developed, Sha’Tal city in their metallic shells. The cities had everything needed, power, mining and industry infrastructure, military buildings, and of course the queens chamber. When a ship landed on a world they would blossom open like a massive, deadly, flower and from that central nexus the world would succumb to the Sha’Tal’s might. Only one world was ever able to withstand that might for long but they too fell.

Earth had not known that they had been seen by one of the Sha’Tal telescopes nor had they known that their world had been one of the ones deemed not to need a scout flight, instead the Sha’Tal had decided to seen a colony their right away. They had not known and even if they had, the outcome would ultimately be the same.

The first contact Mankind was going to get with an alien species was not going to end the way they wanted. The first ship was on its way, and it would not be the last.

Ok if I didn't do indepth on the speices because when I try to do that I tend to babble on and give unesscesary infromation like shoe sizes . Anyway, this is as much as your getting and now we go onto the thread. My DMing probaly won't be as frequent as I like but hopefully it will be punctual.

Things to do:
1.Character description
2.Skills
3.Organizations

For character description you can do what ever you want but the timeline of this is only a little in the future so I don't wan't any teleapaths or aliens. We are humans, just basic humans, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Skills:
(Coming Soon)

Organizations:
(Coming soon)
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 19:52   #10
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

1 important question, are these aliens going to be like the 1s from Indepedence day? Or will they be different? Or, last but not least, will you simply not give us that info untill we discover it ourselves?

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 00:39   #11
Wo2
The Janitor!

I could give info but the fact of the matter is; mankind hasn't seen them yet so neither has yuour charecters. With that said, no you won't know till you discover and no they are not like the ones from independence day, in look or manner.