User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Sep 2004, 09:04   #1
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future
Laptop grinds to a halt

Morning,

I have a laptop on my network that will just grind to a halt after 6pm, it varies on the time sometimes 18:05, other times 18:15 etc

The laptop has Windows XP Pro
It is a Dell Inspiron 5100

Around 8pm last night it totally froze and had to have the power pulled on it, when rebooted it operates fine.

I've run a adware program & nothing displays, there are no viruses either.

I don't know what information is needed but can anyone tell me where to start?

Thank you

<Bobzy> Minty, you have a line for everything
<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Ice-Lady> minty is a odd boy
<Game> Minty rocks
<Queen> no minty..cos u rock
<HobbieRogue4> Minty, you stone!
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2004, 09:57   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Laptop grinds to a halt

ok, so something after 6pm is causing it , which probably means its external to the laptop

disconnect from network and see if it still happens ?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 22 Sep 2004, 11:11   #3
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future

When it is disconnected from the network it appears to be fine, it is accessing network resources that is most noticable.

But I also used the network at the same time my boss was complaining and everything was fine.

Perhaps there is a program running after 6pm each day, but it isn't always dead on 6pm, sometimes it is 6:05, 6:07, 6:08, 6:15....8:01pm etc

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks
Unread 22 Sep 2004, 12:27   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Is it using an external resource on the network?
For example a network share of another computer in the network. If the guy using the other comp goes home and shuts it down (around 6PM) the resource is no longer available and the other computer freezes.
However, finding out what resource it is would be a tough task.
Unread 22 Sep 2004, 13:01   #5
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

maybe another device on the network is infected and is attacking each pc at a set time each day to see if it can find a security hole?

just a guess mind you.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2004, 13:20   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Does your company run a backup?
It's not uncommon for companies to take a differential backup (ie. only files that have changed) from their workstations at the end of the day - thats quite likely to place a load on the laptop.
Unread 22 Sep 2004, 15:07   #7
Minty
Who?

Glad you said that megla.

Company has a DAT backup, using a HP Drive with 20Gb tapes'.

However the backup is set off manually after the last user has gone home.
It was done automatically at 3am but I had to restart the NTbackup procedure and I do not know the command to run a certain file (Selection .bks file) in Scheduled Tasks.

I have loaded the backup software up each night for the user to click "Yes" on for it to backup, so perhaps this is what is doing it.
But all I have done is loaded the selections and clicked "Start Backup", it then asks to overwrite: Yes/No & I leave it for the user to click yes once he or she is finished.

Ta

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks
Unread 19 Oct 2004, 18:00   #8
Minty
Who?

To add to problems, another user reported the same thing happening but before 6pm.

I wonder what it can be.

No one shuts their PCs down so it isn't a shared resource

Thanks

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks