User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Jan 2005, 19:00   #1
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
[tech] wireless networking

i am looking to setup wireless networking in the new house, what the hell will i need to do this?

(i know roughly, but i dont know exactally what i will need as i have to set it up for the 1 desktop and 2 laptops in the house to be able to all work on it with no hassle)

help me GD! your my only hope!
Unread 22 Jan 2005, 20:02   #2
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [tech] wireless networking

1 x PCI normal network card for access point to connect to.
2 x PCMCIA wireless network cards.
1 x Wireless Access Point.
1 x ethernet cable (I can never remember whther it's crossover of normal)
1 x lack of interference from electrical good s so your connection is strong throughout.
1 x fairly big wallet to buy decent products - don't go for the cheaper option, it's what I did and rerget it - I lose my connection all the time.

The above is for ICS, I think if you want to do it without this you'll obviously need the PCI card to be wireless and the access point to be a router.

Last edited by Stew; 22 Jan 2005 at 20:03. Reason: For accuracy.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2005, 20:12   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There is no way to set up wireless networking with no hassle.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2005, 20:34   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd agree with the don't buy cheap crap option. Telewest supply a wireless router which is obviously el cheapo and causes no end of problems.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2005, 21:20   #5
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Get a decent wireless router and good WiFi cards for all the machines. It's not normally more than a couple of minutes work setting each new machine onto the network once the router's set up.
Unread 22 Jan 2005, 21:33   #6
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.h...k&familyid=172

would that router be ok do you think?

also, the desktop doesnt have any free PCI slots is there any way i can get around this?
Unread 22 Jan 2005, 21:33   #7
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

if you're going to use a wireless router to do connection sharing for gods sake don't try and use a usb adsl modem (dunno about cable) straight in to it.

brother's router had a usb port for a webcam (?!?) so they figured they could just stick the modem in to it and everything would work out.

also, add a decent book on wifi security to your list. having the 14 year old kid two doors down leaching all your bandwidth for their warez server is not a good thing.
Unread 22 Jan 2005, 21:36   #8
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

doesn't look too bad.

i'm *guessing* the usb thingy it comes with is a usb wifi card, which would solve your lack of pci slots problem nicely, assuming you have a spare usb port.
Unread 22 Jan 2005, 21:37   #9
roadrunner_0
cynic

http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.h...WG3&familyid=0

and that card for the laptops

i don't need to worry about the security, it shall be locked down well and truly by my ex housemate, who shall be helpuing me set it up and knows about these things
Unread 22 Jan 2005, 21:45   #10
mist
Jolt's best friend

this may seem like a silly question, but why not get said housemate to sort you out with the gear as well, so they get something they're comfortable with setting up?

that asside, it seems a little expensive but 3com are a fairly decent brand. i assume you've checked and neither of the laptops has built in wifi already? most do nowadays, and the card sticking out the side is rather easy to break :/
Unread 23 Jan 2005, 13:02   #11
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i bought a belkin wireless router. 2 PCI wireless cards.
1 PCMCIA wireless network card.

and the laptop im writing this off has inbuilt wi-fi.

The router connects to the cable modem or whatnot via a standard rj-45 cable. its a good idea to then connect a pc directly to the router using another rj45 so that you can configure it properly. Set it to clone your mac address (if needed for teh ISP) and turn the wireless networking feature on.

You will also need to set up some kind of security. I chose WEP and it generated a random key. Write this key down because you will need it later.

Then plug in the cards into your pc. They should all see the router (presuming you set it up right) but will ask for a key because its 'secured'. Type the key in and you should be away.

ive never had any more hassle than that tbh.

incidently all products are belkin. and were the 'latest spec' when we got them about a year ago. oddly enough the laptop im writing on is brand new and it can pick up the signal in an area of the house previously too weak to use the net from. so presumably the actual wireless cards are just as important quality wise as the router is.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2005, 17:56   #12
mist
Jolt's best friend

built in laptop cards tend to have a fairly devent arial, rather than the stubby little thing that you sometimes get, particularly on pcicma cards
Unread 23 Jan 2005, 22:42   #13
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

1x Linksys WRT54G router
1x Linksys WMP54G PCI card
2x Linksys WPC54G PCMCIA card

I also needed an ADSL modem, so I got the Linksys ADSL modem and plugged it into the WRT54G.
I've got two floors full covered with that 1 beast, and I'm not even using the unofficial firmware which can boost its power to 500%
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2005, 23:08   #14
mist
Jolt's best friend

tbh, i always use wires to non laptops. wifi's bandwidth, reliability and security arn't great. then again, i suppose i have the advantage of being able to drill holes where i like
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 09:27   #15
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Power isn't nearly as important as reciever sensitivity when it comes to wireless cards. That's why senao are so popular with wardrivers becuase they have the highest sensitivity of any other product out there. The other thing is the quality of the antenna.

By increasing the output power of the card you are creating more noise on the 2.4Ghz range that yours and other peoples devices have to compete with. However by lowering the power and increasing the sensitivity you will make it better not only for yourself but others as well.
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 11:57   #16
Eidron
The Harsh Light of Day

Eidron is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried a netgear wireless router once. When my belkin cards tried to connect to it it caused an earthquake in my registry, removing my computer's ability to connect to the internet. I sent the router back where it came from lol. I now use an SMC barricade wireless with no probs.

You'll never see me but I am everywhere
Eidron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 15:35   #17
roadrunner_0
cynic

hate to ask this cos it will seeem like im being lazy, but would htose of you that have suggersted items possibly link to them for me, as im having real trouble wading through all the different options and i want to order tomorrow night if i can

EDIT: this is my current prefered choice, can anyone see any problems with it?

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...html?NOV-54USB
wireless usb stick
£28.20 (x1)

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...html?NOV-54DSL
wireless router
£34.08 (x1)

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?NOV-108PCM
pcmcia card for the laptops
£22.32 (x2)

total cost
£106.92

Last edited by roadrunner_0; 26 Jan 2005 at 19:42.
roadrunner_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2005, 22:17   #18
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/car100 this is what ive got, 2 laptops have in built wireless so we bought 1 more card for the laptop the package itself costs £119.99

Package contains

BT Voyager 2100 Wireless ADSL Router
One BT Voyager 1060 Wireless Laptop Card
One BT Voyager 1040 PCI Card
Two ADSL microfilters
One ADSL line cord
One Ethernet/Cat 5 cable
One power adapter
Quick start guide
CD-ROM with user guide

then one more laptop card costs £39.99

so youre looking at £150, decent quality imo works fine, easy to setup and no problems, plus delievered next day.
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:36   #19
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
hate to ask this cos it will seeem like im being lazy, but would htose of you that have suggersted items possibly link to them for me, as im having real trouble wading through all the different options and i want to order tomorrow night if i can

EDIT: this is my current prefered choice, can anyone see any problems with it?

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...html?NOV-54USB
wireless usb stick
£28.20 (x1)

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...html?NOV-54DSL
wireless router
£34.08 (x1)

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?NOV-108PCM
pcmcia card for the laptops
£22.32 (x2)

total cost
£106.92
As anyone can tell you, USB Wlan sticks are generally crap, PLEASE, if you have an empty PCI slot, use it instead, you'll find decent PCI cards for around €19.99, like the 1s I'm using in my computers upstairs.

There's just 1 USB WLan stick in this house, it used to sit in my laptop, it now has a PCMIA card and you know what, it's a hell of a lot better (and that's without a decent antenna)

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote