User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 20 Mar 2003, 18:23   #1
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Display/Resolution Problems

Ok, last night I put someone else's hard disk into my machine as a slave to take off some files he needed as his CPU/motherboard died. That all went through fine, took his HDD out and rebooted my computer, and it worked fine for the rest of the night.

Now however, since this afternoon (first time I used it since yesterday) I turned the computer on and the display has fallen to 640*480 pixels, and 16 colours only. I can't see what would have caused this. I try to change it, but each time I set new colours and resolution it says I need to restart and restarts in this screwed up res.

What could be causing this? I have no idea

System specs: AMD 1GHz running Windows ME with an Nvidia GeForce 2MX w/tv out.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 19:41   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Sounds like yer drivers got screwed somehow.
Just grab the disk (or get them off www.nvidia.com) and reinstall.

Unread 20 Mar 2003, 19:44   #3
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Sounds like yer drivers got screwed somehow.
Just grab the disk (or get them off www.nvidia.com) and reinstall.

Attempted, yet once I boot to reinforce systems changes it doesn't work.

And Mouse doesn't seem to work either.

Reinstalling OS atm, will see how that pans out.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 19:58   #4
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Yep, gave up, reinstalled ME (really need to get XP sometime soon, I hate this current pile of poo).

Seemed to fix the problems, but what I can't understand is why it actually happened in the first place?

I can't see how putting a new hard disk in (which was the only unusual/different thing I did on it to make it go higgedy-crazy) would have b0rked the mouse/GFX drivers.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 20:45   #5
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
maybe winME got confused or something with system files in the slave disk, maybe you should have booted into DOS mode instead of into windows.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 02:38   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
'Windows ME'
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 08:57   #7
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
'Windows ME'
You resurrected this long dead thread to tell me something I already know?

Changing to XP as soon as I can
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 09:07   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Hey, my brother got the same problem last night with his old PII machine. Although he didn't fiddle about with the hardware.
He installed Win-ME over his old ME version but that didn't fix it.

Prolly going to reinstall the whole thing today.
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 17:30   #9
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
A friend of mine had problems with Win2k and a video card. We tried everything from service packs on windows to updated drivers for the card, the official nvidia detonator drivers, everything.

Every time Windows complained of a conflict between the AGP controller and a reserved memory space. Looking at the bios we couldnt find the memory being reserved anywhere, and eventually we worked out that Windows was reporting that the AGP slot was conflicting with ITSELF.

All else failed, we installed WinXP
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 13:01   #10
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
support for winme should be discontinued
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 15:00   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Kumnaa
use of winme should be discontinued
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 15:12   #12
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Quote:
winme should be discontinued
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 09:37   #13
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
winme should be shot, hanged and pissed on untill worms take care of the rest and leave only the bootdisk as leftovers
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote