User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 22 May 2005, 00:36   #1
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Wireless crapola

Ok let me try to "briefly" explain whats happened and see if you guys know why
I return home to complaints from brother that his pc isnt connecting to the wireless network anymore or does so intermittently.

Initial investigation makes me believe that hes being a turd and has moved his pc out of range.
I move it about. no joy.
give up
go downstairs

then i return to his pc alongside mine in my room about 2 foot away from the wireless router.

he has taken the liberty of using my network wire to plug straight in therefore bypassing the need for wireless. Now this is all well and good except it struck me as somewhat odd as to why he would still need to use a rj45 lead when his pc is sitting next to the wireless router.
My spidey sense tingled and i realised that it cant be the reception.....theres a more fundamental problem.

SO I BEGAN MY 4HOUR LONG INVESTIGATION

I restarted (as all good techies do) and viewed what was running. Ran a few spyware scans and nothing major popped up. Good o i thought.
then i restared once more
Ran IE whilst ocnnected via the lan to see what google could provide. After approximately 1minute of browsing IE tells me theres a dns error and page cannot be found.

i laugh and try again.
then i try firefox
nothing

strangely tho MSN is still connected and im able to change the thing from online to busy etc.
i load up cmd and ping yahoo

i get a response.
how odd..

i restart and download a winsock repair utility in the brief 1minute i have to browse. It doesnt work after a restart.

i think 'maybe a virus' so double click AVG. Apparently AVG cannot update itself because its corrupt. AHA i think. corrupt files ho!
I then think 'maybe its just thefirewall being gay' so go to click on that in control panel and apparently IPC and various other services are no longer running. I check with services.msc and low and behold various essential networking services are ****ed and not running and refuse to start. SOOO
i restart once more and use the precious little time i have to get IE to an WinXP SP2 download site. and begin the download. Oddly enough the download continues to run whilst IE refuses to go anywhere.
i leave it for 30mins then return and reinstall sp2 hoping that itll fix everything by overwriting whatever the **** has been corrupted.

I go downstairs and ask him wtf hes been doing. He cant remember much but does mention something about clicking on a file sent to him in MSN and it then trying to send itself to everyone on his contact list (hey ho virus boy).

I return to his pc and reboot after SP2 is done. I try the wireless thing. JOY OF JOYS it says 'wireless networks have been found blah blah click here to view'
so i do

except then im presented with the windows networking screen saying 'there are no wireless networks in range'

odd...you just said there was.....

i plug the lan back in and try the net. Now ti runs with no problems and doesnt die after 2minutes (hence my post right now)
I redownload the belkin drivers for the pci card and reinstall. reboot and pray.

I try again with the wireless. nothing. so then i turn of windows handling it and revert back to the belkin utility. Belkin can see the network (better than windows can) but refuses to connect but doesnt give any reasons. it just sits there and says 'belkin54g found' or whatnot in its little list of networks.

I then try to run the new utility thing i just got from the belkin site as part of the driver updates. it refuses to run and crashes with a dll error. i go hunting and find the dll in c:\windows\system32.
megla sends me a clean copy of his and i overwrite it. then i try again and now the utility just says it caused an error in utility.exe

so ladies and gents

wtf can i do to fix this. ive done a quick virus check after updating avg and installing a fresh copy (to fix the corruption) and it didnt find much.

Any ideas?
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2005, 00:54   #2
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Wireless crapola

http://users.aber.ac.uk/jat2/desktop/wireless.JPG

illustrates the point.....
Unread 22 May 2005, 05:37   #3
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I can suggest is that wireless devices can sometimes be fickle. I would uninstall the driver completly and remove any wireless adapters from windows. Then do a clean install of the updated driver.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2005, 08:28   #4
JammyJim
Godfather

Its now definitly windows. i downloaded Globalsofts "Multinetwork Manager" and that now connects it.

Windows no longer manages the network and seemingly everything is fine. However i dont understand how it can go from working to not working
and what is even more confusing is the fact that a 3rd party app can connect me but windows cannot......

Bizarre.......
Unread 22 May 2005, 11:24   #5
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

windows is definitely ****ed up

oh, and wtf were you doing running a winxp machine without sp2?
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2005, 13:46   #6
JammyJim
Godfather

it had sp2
i reinstalled so it could fix any files that had been ****ed up because of whatever happened.

reinstall fixed most things. i still odnt understand why in the hell it wont just connect via windows. if 3rd party software can see it then its a mystery.
Unread 22 May 2005, 14:34   #7
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

WZC never worked for me properly, I'd get a nice few hrs usage, and boom my wireless connection is dead, stays dead for a while, or connects intermittedly repeatedly.

I just use Belkins connection tool and disable WZC service.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2005, 15:00   #8
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

much the same, I use D-Links wireless tool, though it suggests doing so anyway and is so much more tweakable (this is handy if like me you are running a network between two points 5Km away).
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2005, 18:20   #9
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Disable the belkin startup file and let windows deal with it.

I had problems with neither seeing my router so i disabled the belkin app and it worked fine for me.
Unread 25 May 2005, 05:21   #10
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

i have to say Gir in ur avatar rocks
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 17:48   #11
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

Sounds very similiar to a problem I encountered a few months ago: I was at home nice and happy, got a call from one of the guys I work for- internet doesn't work. I gon, log on, IE says page can't be found, install firefox, reboot. Neither can find any page. At this stage I notice its not connected to the LAN. Uh-oh. HE then tells me he ran Norton...(grrr....) and deleted plenty of things, (without making a backup!). Now here's the funny part.

I could ping anything in the newtwork, I could ping other computers via the net via the LAN. Eventually I surmised that some winsok files had been destroyed or something, so I go find some tools, get the net working, but not the LAN. In the end I just reformatted... possibly one of the most boring saturdays nights of my life..

Anyways, glad to hear you got your problem sorted...