User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 4 Mar 2003, 22:09   #1
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Setting up a home network

I am planning on setting up a home network so that all three computers in my house can access the internet through broadband and can share files. My broadband provider has been taken care of. It has to be AOL since my parents want to keep their e-mail addresses.

The problem I have is that the computers are pretty far apart, one's even on a different floor. I need to connect them all with a 10 base T connection. I can't just get an extension lead across the floor cos my parents wouldn't be too impressed. I need to get a professional job, running the cables along the outside wall. Any idea how I can get this done? I live in the UK, could BT perhaps help me out? Also one of my three computers is a laptop without a network card. Can I perhaps get an external one?

Any advice would be appreciated.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 22:34   #2
Cyp
∞+♪˛

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Wouldn't a hammer and a lot of nails work? And perhaps little u-shaped plastic thingies with a hole in them (not sure what they are called), to avoid having to hammer the nails through the cord.

Something that can drill through walls can be useful to, but may not be required, depends on the situation. Cords may be able to burrow under a door.
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 22:49   #3
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Yeah, well, that's my problem. I can't lay cables everywhere cos my parents wouldn't allow it. I was wondering if there is a better way, or failing that I'd at least like to have a professional do it by running the cables outside.
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 22:53   #4
Cyp
∞+♪˛

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Didn't think that cables nailed to the edge of the wall would be considered messy...

What about along the edge, but under the carpet?

Perhaps they could be nailed to the ceiling, and hope your parents don't look up?
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 23:05   #5
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

hehe, give it a rest already, no cables

Well, maybe I'll consider cables but for now let's assume it's not an option.

Actually, I just thought of something, maybe I could go wireless. Any idea how much that would cost? Would I need to buy new network cards? Any other wireless hardware I'd need?
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 23:06   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
W-LAN.

Unread 5 Mar 2003, 00:42   #7
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
probably easiest and *least* hassle would be wireless lan, but its more expensive than a "normal" wire lan
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 01:11   #8
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Wireless is indeed pricey, and the use of it depends entirely on whether you're going to fully appreciate the benefits of it weighed against the price you're going to have to fork out up front for the privilege.

If one of those machines is a laptop say, then it might make more sense in some cases, but at least imo, if you're doing more than 2 machines run the cables under the carpets and pop them up behind the pc's, you'll never see them.

Edit:
Could you, in theory, use Bluetooth for this? I.e. buy a Bluetooth USB dongle, the ones with 10m range? Might be a little dodgy through walls and across a large room but I don't know the layout of your 'pad'
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 08:03   #9
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo

Could you, in theory, use Bluetooth for this? I.e. buy a Bluetooth USB dongle, the ones with 10m range? Might be a little dodgy through walls and across a large room but I don't know the layout of your 'pad'
in theory yes, you could use bluetooth.
i think all the machines would need to be running 2k/XP though, as thats way after 98's time...

edit : when i first posted this, i thought wireless was well expensive, however, a quick trip to www.dabs.com, proved otherwise.

bout 25 quid for a PCI card, 33 for a USB.
and 99 for a wifi ADSL router/switch combi.

which gives you a setup for ~ 175
I reckon using cables would cost ~ 100-125

Though, most ppl would say to just do Cat5 wiring properly, those prices are not much more than standard cable networking, so it might be worth considering.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia

Last edited by NEWSBOT3; 5 Mar 2003 at 08:20.
NEWSBOT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 09:48   #10
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

I'm starting to like the idea of going wireless. I take it I will need a wireless router to connect all the computers together. I already have two PCI network cards so I can use them. I'll have to get an external card for the laptop. Thing is it's pretty old so I'm not sure if it has USB, any idea if I can get a parallel port connection or whatever the old ports are called?

What I'm not clear about is do I need to get something that connects to all the network cards, like an antenna or something?

Any idea what would be the best products to buy and where to buy them? My service provider is going to give me a modem and I very much doubt they will give me a discount if I say I don't want the modem (it's AOL after all) so a router is all I need, not one with an inbuilt modem.
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 10:01   #11
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
get a PCMCIA or PMCIA or PMIAC or whatever they are called-card for your laptop
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote